Freedom Dies in Darkness: The Story of the 1968 Election and Beyond

Introduction
idmC33f.jpg

Hello everyone. Me and Gentleman Biaggi have been coming up with this idea for a timeline for quite a while. We finally have some time so now we’re going to post the first chapter. We hope you enjoy this timeline.

Chapter 1: The Spark
Chapter 1: The Spark

1968, is agreed to be one of, if not, the darkest years in not just American history, but world history. It was a year that saw devestation, division, and the beginning of “The Age of Desolation” which plagued much of the world.

Historian: the events in 1968 were directly responsible for the events following up to it and many of the problems the world faces today began because of issues that started back in 1968.- The Age of Desolation: The Turbulence Begins, 2018

The year had opened up with a lie. President Lyndon Johnson had opened up the year by assuring Americans that the war in Vietnam was going very well. He assured them that progress was going well and surrender was inevitable. For a while now, people were split on the war. Young students and professors against it but older people and more conservative leaning people tended to be in support of the military action. Eugene McCarthy, a senator from Minnesota, was running as an anti-war candidate but got no serious traction. Overall, it was going well for Johnson. But then soon. It was all to be blown wide open.

On January 30th, on Tet, Vietnamese New Years, the Viet Cong launched a surprise attack on American and South Vietnamese troops. The attack shocked the troops and caught them off guard. The American troops quickly stepped into action and turned back the tide but it was a shock to the American people. The war was not over. Far from it. What they thought was true wasn’t.

2E0F153E-3790-411C-A7CA-4D2FA6A803B3.jpeg

American soldiers during the Offensive

What the hell?! I thought we were winning the war. - Walter Cronkite upon learning of the Tet Offensive.

Furthermore, a photo of a Vietnamese man being executed went worldwide and turned the tide against the war. Protests now began to grow larger in scale and longer. Now the years troubles began to multiply. Johnson, who was running for re-election, had to face this setback. Eugene McCarthy now had larger crowds and his poll numbers grew day by day. Soon McCarthy was polling at 40% to the presidents 49%. This would be the final outcome. Johnson, although he had won, he had won a close race. Embarrassing for an incumbent. And now talks were about Robert Kennedy, the presidents rival since 1960, entering the race.

Historian: At this moment LBJ knew he was in for a bumpy ride. It was not going to be an easy chance for re-election. He was in trouble over Vietnam and knew it. - The Age of Desolation: The Turbulence Begins, 2018

LBJ was at a cross roads. What to do about the campaign? The war was sapping his popularity and his legacy. LBJ had to make the decision. A year prior, a doctor had told him another term would kill him. His own family’s heart history was very poor and he was likely next. So on March 30th, LBJ made the announcement:

“I shall not seek and I will not accept the nomination of my party for another term as your president.” - LBJ on March 30th,1968

325B7189-8681-4501-870A-880A4FC25798.jpeg

LBJ during his famous speech.

The announcement shocked the nation and now it was a bit of a free for all. Kennedy was in the race now. McCarthy was also there. Vice President Hubert Humphrey was rumored to enter but he said that he wouldn’t do it unless it was a compromise situation. Most people were happy with the choice of candidates. But Johnson, once the man who was senate majority leader and powerful politician now reduced to nothing. It was over for Johnson.

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Tumultuous Times
Chapter 2: Tumultuous Times

F612645B-145C-4D34-ADC5-23A40058E4B4.jpeg

A photo taken of Johnson at a meeting the day after he dropped out.

Johnson, just a few days fresh from announcing he wouldn’t seek another term had gone back to being just president Johnson. He was miserable.

At cabinet meetings, Johnson just seemed so disinterested. So sad. So miserable. And I felt his pain. He was once the most powerful man in the country and now he was reduced to shambles. A broken old politician was all he was and how he would be remembered.” - My Life in Politics. Hubert Humphrey. Written 1977. Published in 2003.

Then just a few days later, a true crisis occurred. On April 4th, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot. The event caused tragedy amongst the African American community. What unfolded were major riots in just about every major city. Chicago, Detroit, Newark to name a few. All cities affected by the riots. It truly ended up being a terrible event causing millions in damage. On Live TV, millions of Americans witnessed burning of major cities. Destruction of stores and homes. It was a disturbing sight to see people reacting this way. LBJ responded by sending out the National Guard. The riots however, continued for days. They eventually would subside but not after a few days of destruction. This really hurt Johnson and his approval ratings. Just as they ticked on the upswing after his drop out, he fell flat. Johnson was most especially upset at how this would elect one of his enemies.

In the Democratic race, Bobby Kennedy had taken a sizable lead in the opinion polls. With Johnson out, with the exception of the Martin Luther King riots, things got better. Protestors never followed Bobby Kennedy or Eugene McCarthy. They reached out to sizable crowds and had the advantages of not being establishment candidates. Both sides campaigned as an alternative to the past advertising themselves as the future of the party with appeals to young voters.

LBJ: he is leading in the polls and thie riots might help him win. This is absolutely terrible. I hate him.

HHH: I know. I know.

LBJ: Hubert, have you thought about running?

HHH: I don’t think I should. I feel the tide is in their favor and I will not sacrifice my political career as a stooge of you. I’m my own man, not an underling.

-Phone call between Johnson and Humphrey.

Johnson was very displeased at the possibility of the republicans or the democrats winning. First of all he wanted power. Second, he wanted his establishment democrats to stay in power. Third of all. The biggest reason was the opponents selected by the people. First there was the issue of dealing with Bobby Kennedy. Rejected by the people, Johnson’s likely successor was Kennedy. He was thought to be the only person strong enough to attack the republicans. Lyndon Johnson did not want his successor to be Kennedy. But Kennedy would not be the only thorn in Johnson’s side. The Republicans were leaning towards an old face. The opponent was someone LBJ never truly liked. He was a man he never had respect for. A person who was a weasel and a bitter man. One he had beaten before but wouldn’t again. The man was none other than Richard Milhous Nixon.

40F4AB00-E49A-4CB2-B87E-2B283F24AE5C.gif

Nixon at a campaign rally.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: He’s Back
Chapter 3: He’s Back

Whilst the democratic nomination was now a stoic somber affair. The Republican one was the exact opposite. Richard Nixon, former Vice President and party nominee in 1960, was making his return, Nixon had built up his stock over the years. He was ready to build up a comeback. Gone was the old Nixon. The new Nixon was now ready for the presidency. He united conservatives and liberals within the party. He also faced little opposition within the process. His strongest competitor was Nelson Rockefeller. Rockefeller was making a final go at the nomination. He had support of the northeast but overall couldn’t carry enough to stop Nixon. Also running was new California Governor Ronald Reagan, who although conservative and a talented campaigner couldn’t clinch too many people with Goldwater in ‘64 still fresh. Also there was George Romney. He was strong early on but made a verbal gaffe. Which stopped him. But Nixon liked what he saw. He decided the governor of Michigan would be the running mate to balance his ticket.

1396px-George_W._Romney_official_portrait.jpg

Romney was selected as running mate by Nixon despite a verbal gaffe.

Nixon himself was a man motivated not necessarily by wanting to improve the country but one motivated by revenge. Kennedy had won in 1960 thanks to some corruption in Illinois and Texas. Nixon once told a guest at a party that he knew Kennedy robbed the election. But Nixon knew deep down, it was his fault. The economy had been in a recession and Eisenhower, his own boss, provided tacit support at best and nothing more. Nixon was enraged about the loss. Nixon was willing to go to any lengths to win. He had prepared since 1964 to unify the party. In 1966 he campaigned for house and senate candidates and won, 1968 was supposed to be his coronation. His campaign was well organized. Well planned. Nixon thought with Johnson out, he’d face Kennedy and was ready to defeat a Kennedy to cap off his great revenge plot. Nixon would not lose this time.

nixoncampaigns.jpg

Nixon campaigns in Philadelphia in June.

That little jackass? He’s a loser. And he’s the best they can offer? And my party can’t even find a guy palatable enough to beat him?” - LBJ upon hearing of Nixon receiving enough support.

My brother beat him with no name recognition. Imagine my margin of victory.” - Robert Kennedy to an aide.

Nixon will be nominated at the upcoming convention. Romney will be his running mate. Nixon is going to unseat the democrats in fall. Nixon will win. All of these headlines seemed to be good guesses on the election but of course, we all know that it ended unlike that.” - Nixon’s the one, Published 1987

Last edited:
Chapter 4: The Tale of Two Conventions
Chapter 4: The Tale of Two Conventions (Republicans)

Historian: at the different conventions, the moods could not be more different. It was water and fire. One was standard and straightforward and the other was one of the most significant events of the last century. - The Age of Desolation: The Turbulence Begins, 2018.

The two conventions were just weeks apart and set a tone for the coming election and beyond. The republicans were first at Miami Beach. Nixon, thanks to some assistance from Strom Thurmond, had effectively secured the nomination. The rest of the convention was to focus on renewal and optimism. Many rivals of Nixon spoke on his behalf. Many new faces even spoke for him. Spiro Agnew, the new governor of Maryland made his debut on the national scene. He gave a speech to condemn lawlessness and praised Nixon’s ability as VP and as a politician. It was well received and a highlight of the day. Many in the press praised his speech. There were even talks of making him a running mate but Nixon stuck with Romney. Romney himself had a nice speech at the convention where he was able to advertise for crossover support from democrats. He also praised his own leadership ability and the competence of Nixon and his willingness to work across the spectrum. Then came Nixon himself. Nixon had been planning for this speech. It was his magnum opus. This was to be his finest hour. After holding the label loser. Now was his time to forever destroy the label. And did Nixon deliver:

Americans have too long suffered because of the Democratic Party. The only republican we have had has been my boss and great friend mr. Dwight Eisenhower. (Heavy applause). And he was a great president. And the democrats talk about their accomplishments but it was the work of Ike that made it possible. And I stand here tonight so that we collectively, can unite and bring us back to the good days. (Heavier applause) Gone will be the division and lawlessness ravaging this country. We will bring back law and order.” - Excerpt of Nixon’s Speech.

hqdefault.jpg

Nixon giving his speech.

The speech was very well received. Nixon painted himself as capable of leading and a fighter and not the loser he was previously thought to be. He left his base energized and thanks to support from opponents and dissatisfied democrats. Nixon was on top. No one was poised to beat him. Now it was the Democrats turn to counter the Republicans. But what was expected couldn’t have been farther from what actually happened.

republican-national-convention-1968.jpg

Nominee Nixon, VP Nominee Romney, Nelson Rockefeller, and others celebrate at the convention.

Last edited: