For the Sake of a Shower: The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher

The Skinner remark is very similar to one made in Yes Prime Minister, when Hackers predcesser as Prime-Minister dies.
Good story, I am hooked. Although I would advise don't turn it into "What if Gordon Banks played" two.
Also don't forget the Miners Strike is still going on, this would give Scargill heart, maybe it gets bloody in Yorkshire.
Also interesting to see what happens in the Labour Party.

Oh dear. I rather enjoyed the start of this thread, but is this really going to turn into another of those dreadful lefty timelines where TEH EVUL TORIEEES take the opportunity to revel in those corrupt, tyrannical impulses that they unaccountably failed to show in real life but you JUST KNOW they are nursing deep in their souls?
Pity, as I for one, am looking forward to Norman Tebbit getting Clive Sinclair and Alan Sugar to build a deathstar :D

It might be interesting to have a perspective from the Irish Nationalist side in this timeline, what they were expecting to gain from the assassination, what they are bracing themselves to expect currently, and ultimately as the timeline develops and deepens, what butterflies out of their control and expectations?

I recall the Gordon Banks timeline succeeding too horribly well in pacifying the NI situation :eek:

Whoa! T'ings is about to get ugly, wot?

Really? I don't mind Tarzan really. I think Tebbit would've been bad! I consider, other than the obvious repercussions on Ireland that Heseltine would've made a good solid PM.

I am not expecting any 'What if Gordon Banks had played' from this TL.

Really? I don't mind Tarzan really. I think Tebbit would've been bad! I consider, other than the obvious repercussions on Ireland that Heseltine would've made a good solid PM.

I am not expecting any 'What if Gordon Banks had played' from this TL.

Yes, I tend to agree - Heseltine would have been a more 'reason' led administration, while Tebbit more 'knee-jerk' reactions.

Many thanks for the comments guys. I am doing my best not to turn this into another Gordon Banks Mk. II, however much I would want to. Things will calm down in due course but remember, Tebbit is Deputy Prime Minister at this point and is spearheading a more extreme response than Heseltine would ideally like. I assure you though, I am doing my best to make this as realistic as possible even though there will be more deaths in the next few posts.

REAGAN IN ELECTORAL COLLEGE LANDSLIDE

Despite claims from elements of the Democratic Party criticising the Presidents comments over the situation in Northern Ireland, President Reagan yesterday won a considerable victory over challenger Walter Mondale. Mondale succeeded in winning only his home state of Minnesota and Massachusetts, both by a margin of less than 5%. Only the DC area saw a rise in Democratic support.”

-Excerpt from the Chicago Tribune: 5th November 1984

ORDER OF SERVICE
for the
FUNERAL
of
THE RT. HON. MARGARET THATCHER MP
to be held at
NINE AM
on the
THE TENTH OF NOVEMBER
NINETEEN-HUNDRED-AND-EIGHTY-FOUR
in
THE COLLEGIATE CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AT WESTMINSTER

9:00: Guests and Mourners to Arrive at the Great West Door to be Seated prior to the Service

9:10: Body of Mrs. Thatcher to be Taken from Laying in State in Westminster Hall to Abbey

9:30: Coffin to be Unloaded on Arrival at Abbey

9:35: Nineteen-gun Salute to be Provided by The King’s Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery

9:40: Hymn: “Abide with Me” provided by the Organist and Master of the Choristers Mr. Simon Preston

9:45: First Reading: First Corinthians 15.1-53: to be Given by The Rt. Rev. and Rt. Hon Robert Runcie, Archbishop of Canterbury

9:50: Hymn: “I Vow to Thee My Country”

9:55: Second Reading “The Persistence of Virtue” to be Given by Mr. Dennis Thatcher:

10:15: Hymn: “Onward, Christian Solders”

10:20: Third Reading: John 6.35-40: to be Given by the Rt. Hon. Michael Heseltine

10:25: Hymn: “On Jordan's Bank, the Baptist's Cry”

10:30: Then the Dean of Westminster shall say the Prayers following:

10:40: Music: “Enigma Variations: Variation 9” as mourners leave”

-Excepts from the Order of Service for the State Funeral of the Rt. Hon. Margaret Thatcher

“No, we can't have alphabetical seating in the Abbey; you would have Iraq and Iran next to each other. Plus Israel and Jordan, all sitting in the same pew. We would be in danger of starting World War III!”

-Bernard Woolley- Yes, Prime Minister

“It was really felt that most of the PLP should be there to commit our respects. Neil was on the second row, naturally, along with the rest of the Cabinet and Party Leaders. The rest of the MP’s were crammed in at the back, rather too tightly for comfort to the frank. I had Tony next to me with his elbow jabbed into my back; of course, I could hardly say anything given the circumstances of the occasion.

Personally, I was quite surprised at the number of dignitaries who had turned out, Vice-President Bush had arrived, Chancellor Kohl, Foreign Minister Gromyko, about sixty or so European and Commonwealth Prime Ministers. Really, I rather think that the Prime Minister would have been rather overwhelmed by the numbers. After all, she had only been given the State Funeral owing to the nature of her death; she was only the first Prime Minister to be assassinated since Spencer Percival back in the Napoleonic Wars.

Of course, the occasion has always been overshadowed by the shootings that took place outside the Abbey. I was fortunate really that I stayed behind to help John Smith collect the coat that he had left behind. I know that I would almost certainly have been fine but it still makes one wonder.

I knew when I went to bed that night that I was not going to seek a second term as an MP, frankly, I much preferred academia.”

-Interview by Professor James Gordon Brown on his appointment as Principle of the University of Glasgow

“The Prime Minister today announced that a full restoration of the Westminster Abbey Memorial will be undertaken before the formal commemoration the twenty-fifth anniversary of the deaths of the six people killed by the PIRA on 10th November 1984 following the State Funeral of Mrs. Margaret Thatcher. Mr. Cruddas announced his “profound belief” at the need to renovate the memorial, claiming that “it must stand as a symbol to the need of all governments to ensure the continuing social and ethnic harmony of the United Kingdom”.

-From The Times: Thursday 11th June 2009

“It is now believed that the three gunmen, Daniel McCann (A), Michael Murray (B) and Bernard McGinn (C) arrived at the Abbey at approx. 10:37 AM whereupon they mixed with the mourners congregated at the West Door of the Building. It is understood that they managed to avoid the police cordons previously indicated in Fig. VI by hiding in the WC at Westminster Underground Station the previous day. It is not yet known why this, the only station within the security area, was not searched prior to the event, however, as all services that day were banned from stopping there, it is assumed that the Metropolitan Police may have overlooked the possibility of terrorists using the station as a point of entry.”

-Excerpt from The Templeman Commission into the Westminster Abbey Shootings

“Raining? Even the Lord God must see today as inauspicious!”

-The last words attributed to Defence Secretary Norman Fowler

“I can hardly write today’s entry given the astonishing news.

The Funeral Service was a moderate affair, but at least the Lady was given the State occasion that she so deserved. We were sat, much to the distain of all the Junior Ministers around half way down the Nave, behind the f***ing Arabs for gods sake! What gave them the right to greater seating.

Regardless, I don’t mind to admit that I shed more than a few tears during Dennis’ eulogy, it clearly came from the heart. Michael was less good, fumbling his words and making such a hash of things. Still, the pressure was clearly getting to him.

On our departure at the end of the service I stepped unto line behind Tebbit, who was still limping from the attack last month. Consequently, I was just about in the daylight when the first shot rang out from the direction of the Guildhall, it was surprisingly quiet really, Fowler just slumped over and tumbled down the steps. It took at least five seconds before I realised what was going on.

The bloody police just ran around like idiot Oppidans. I only saw a member of the public fall and Ted Heath raise his arm (what did he intend to do?!) before we were forced back inside the Abbey.

I got back to Saltwood at about four. Jane was terrified, thought I must have died. I’d heard on the news that Fowler, Paddy Jenkin, and Jim Prior had all been killed along with three members of the public. A random selection, Defence, Chief Whip and ex-Northern Ireland, the assassins must have panicked, If they had waited another thirty seconds they could have got Michael, the Prince, me. Really, it could have been far worse.

The telephone rang not long after six. John Wakeham had told me that he’d just been reappointed Chief Whip to replace Paddy. Asked me if, given the circumstances, I’d consent to become Defence Secretary. Surprised, I thought Michael hated me.

I accepted of course, though if things get worse, I fear for Jane immensely.”

-Alan Clark: Diaries

Last edited:
Feedback anyone?

The next update will have a Northern Irish PoV for definite detailing the reasoning behind the PIRA, as well as the more moderate plans of the Heseltine administration; less privatisation, more Pro-EU viewpoints etc.

Anything else you would like to see?

Given that you wrote Well Enough Alone, this TL is fulfilling my expectations. Don't make it too dark, of course.

Like!

Cruddas for PM? That's a whole lot of butterflies and coolness there my friend. Considering that Tony Blair learnt a lot from Gordon Brown, I'm guessing he's not nearly as important ITTL, although as a new MP, I guess he could follow Gordon out of Parliament. More traditional Labour party in the 1990s? Would like to find out what happens to Mandelson in all this. Personally, I feel that you probably went dystopiaish a little too quickly but I don't believe that it's completely beyond the realms of possibility. I think that the miner's strike does need to be addressed, but I have no ideas what Heseltine's opinions on them were, but I imagine Tebbit has some strong ideas of his own ;)

Urgh! Killing Saint Margaret! How could you, Lord Roem? One day I'll write a TL where someone kills Clement Attlee, see how the Left of this board likes that! :mad:

(Interesting read by the way)

No Westland affair!

Ah, you see I have an alternate version of that brewing!

;)

And the Maastrict Treaty as well for that matter, I think that the EU could be very problematic for Heseltine in this timeline, for the opposite reason it was for Mrs. Thatcher.

Miner's strike will be mentioned in the next update.

PM TO MINERS: “TIME FOR NEGOTIATIONS”
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]The Prime Minister yesterday announced a desire to settle the continuing industrial dispute between the Government and the National Union of Mineworkers before Parliament breaks for the Winter Recess at the end of next week. Speaking to union representatives in Downing Street, Mr. Heseltine stated that “such aggressive action by both parties can only harm the economy and our social cohesion” going on to state that “this Government has no desire to see families go hungry over Christmas”. Under the new proposals to settle the dispute, Employment Secretary Cecil Parkinson and Energy Secretary Peter Walker have both agreed in principle to the scheme with union leaders, which will now see phased closures of mines over the next decade in line with the original announcement of the twenty announced in March. However, this will now be accompanied with a substantial increase in investment in education, training and regeneration for all areas affected by the closures. In addition, an informer at the Department for Energy has indicated that further mine closures are now unlikely with future investment to focus on the development of more environmentally friendly adoption of coal technology.

Sources close to the Prime Minister have indicated that the motion was only narrowly carried out within Cabinet with vocal opposition from Home Secretary Norman Tebbit and new Defence Secretary Alan Clark.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]Nevertheless, the agreement will, if passed by the NUM, be viewed as a pyrrhic victory for the Government given the ultimate outcome of a reduction in the number of collieries run by the National Coal Board. NUM leader Arthur Scargill was unavailable for comment, although colleagues claim that he may be willing to agree to the Government plan assuming investment within the mining community is guaranteed.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]Reaction to the plan in affected areas was mixed yesterday, where it was greeted with enthusiasm in Lancashire, which has always been on the periphery of the strike, to derision in South Yorkshire, laying as it is at the core of the NUM power. Despite this, with a ballot now set for the 19th December, hopes are high with moderates in both Government and the coal industry that the dispute will now be fully settled by the New Year. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]-From “The Times” 13th December 1984[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]“Sold us out the w***ers! Still, at least the bairns’ll have some presents this year”[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]-Quote attributed to anonymous mineworker in Barnsley after agreement was reached in the Miners' Strike[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]“As the Government entered the New Year we had much to be proud of, the situation in Northern Ireland notwithstanding. I was highly content with my position at the Treasury and had already announced some moderation of the General Election pledges with regards to privatisation. BA, BT, British Layland and the other various elements of industry would all be sold to the private sector, but the Miner’s Strike had put the social upheaval of Freidmanism into brutal context. I feel that the Government had had a narrow escape from the industrial dispute and Michael and the other moderate voices in the cabinet had consented to permanently cancel the public sale of what were deemed to be “essential services”; the bus operators, British Steel (which had already begun to see a return to profit) and the various utility companies. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]In short, I rather think that we managed to achieve what the SDP set out to, a moderate form of Mrs. Thatcher’s neo-liberal economic programs. I did certainly have a major role to play in David Owen decision to defect to us later on in the Parliament. He no longer had a need to for a party of his own.” [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]-From: “A Moderate Voice: Memoirs of Westminster” Thomas King: HarperCollins 1993 [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]“While the mainland began to enjoy a return to economic prosperity, Northern Ireland was largely left to rot underneath the shadow of direct rule from London. However, I can hardly blame the Conservative Government entirely for the problems. Indeed, given the public outcry at the time, I am surprised more was not done to avail public anger. However much figures like Tebbit and Gow would have liked to, Heseltine was brave to not order the interment of entire families. Yes, shootings were rife and entire Catholic areas of Belfast were demolished, but given the wholly unrepentant campaign of violence stated by the PIRA, the whole business was not entirely without justification. I was secretly pleased, as were most of the SDLP, when Adams resigned as Sinn Fein leader. McGuiness was far from ideal, but at least he knew when the PIRA overstepped the line. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]Of course, the Government was not entirely without blame. I can hardly support the wave of censorship that marked the period 1984-87, imprisoning people like Hislop, even if it was only for a few days at a time is not something that you would equate to a First World Democracy, and tacit support, however minor, for the unionist death squads was morally abhorrent. However, that was far more down to the actions of Gow rather than Heseltine and the moderate members of the Cabinet. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]In short, British policy towards the Province in the mid-eighties was far worse than it could have been, but less harsh than many would have liked. I would argue that it bore more hallmarks of McCarthyism than Stalinism. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]-From: “Solving the Troubles” John Hume: Penguin Books 1998[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]“He is an abominable man really. His notions of union ultimately equate only to a protestant Dominion independent from the United Kingdom. Frankly, I have no quarrels with the Catholics so long as they swear fealty to the Sovereign. Given the choice, I would far sooner unite with Tony Benn than him.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]-Enoch Powell on Ian Paisley [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]“During the mid to late eighties, the Conservative Party would ultimately find herself far more divided by the subject of Europe than by the terrorist threat in Northern Ireland. The 1922 Committee found itself increasing divided between the Federalists, who sort increased surrender of British power to Brussels, and the Sovereigntists, who still adhered to the idea of the EEC as a trading block and refused to take part in the increasing powerful role the Community played in the administration of individual states. The majority of the Cabinet was of the former opinion; Tebbit, Procter and myself being the few within high office who opposed them, whereas the grassroots and backbenches were largely of the latter point of view. Consequently, the moves made by Michael Heseltine started the long term party squabbling over the issue which would prove so damaging to Conservative cohesion towards the end of the decade. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]-From “Tories: The Conservative Party and the Nation State, 1922-97” Alan Clark: Phoenix 1999

Last edited:

Valdemar II

Banned
Interesting it looks like the excessive nastiness of the Tories is much more limited, and the more moderate forces come to dominans.

My guess is that this will keep the tories from disappearing in Scotland, and lessen the indepences movement and make the northerns much less bitter toward the tories.

Damn! I had forgotten about that. Sorry. I'll change ASAP.

Thank-you, that was the first timeline I ever read so it was great to be able to reference it.

Did you all like Chris Morris as an MP? I may do more like that.

Ian Hislop's not a solicitor...? Lol
Mind you, what would happen if Chris Morris ever became Prime Minister, say during the mid to late-1990's in this A.U...? :D

Prime Minister
Engagements

Q1: Sir Anthony Meyer (North West Clwyd) (CON): To ask the Prime Minister if he will list his official engagements for Tuesday 22nd January.

The Prime Minister (Mr. Michael Heseltine): This morning I presided a meeting of the Cabinet and had meetings with a number of senior ministerial colleagues. In addition to my duties in the house I shall have similar meetings later today.

Sir Anthony Meyer (North West Clwyd) (CON): Mr. Speaker, it will be greeted with great pleasure amongst many of my colleagues on either side of this house regarding the Prime Minister’s recent commitment regarding the British position on the proposed single currency. Can the Prime Minister give me his assurances that he will not be swayed by callous xenophobia in ensuring that Britain remains committed to the European economic ideal?

The Prime Minister (Mr. Michael Heseltine): Mr. Speaker, I am grateful for my Rt. Honourable Friend’s show of faith on the Cabinet policy regarding Europe. I can assure him that any future move to further integrate the European monetary structure will be looked into with all due faith. To act apart from the continent would be disastrous for our place in Europe and for our economic strength in the years to come.

Mr. Neil Kinnock (Islwyn) (LAB): Mr. Speaker, it is not surprising to see that the Government has reneged on its pledge to provide investment for the areas of the country dependent on coal mining following last year’s industrial dispute. Indeed, how the Prime Minister can claim to have reached a “balanced settlement” with the NUM is laughable when one continues to witness the ideological battle within the Cabinet on the issue of Trade Union relations. When will this Government admit to the House that the way in which they have treated the national workforce has been a mistake?

The Prime Minister (Mr. Michael Heseltine): Mr. Speaker, this Government has no desire to see industrial disputes paralyse this country’s infrastructure. The investment that my Rt. Hon friend the Secretary of State for Employment announced last month will be forthcoming as soon as all Trade Union leaders have announced, unequivocally, to support Government policy on the matter.

Hon Members: Shame!

Dr. David Owen (Plymouth Davenport) (SDP): It is gratifying, Mr. Speaker, to see that the Government has begun to accept the need for further moves to join our neighbour across the channel. Regardless of the opinion of elements of the Conservative front bench, I can assure him that the Social Democratic Party will continue to support any moves towards accepting the single currency.

-Excerpts: Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) House of Commons. 6th series: Volume 71. Tuesday 22nd January 1985

“No David! You shall become Prime Minister one day!”

-Overheard discussion from Alan Clark to David Owen

“There are increasingly heated exchanges in the Party regarding our position on the EEC. Time and time again discussion turns to the need for “economic integration” and “monetary harmonisation” and other such vagaries of unrepentant capitalism. It appears that support for the EEC and the single currency is becoming increasingly active within the Party, though how that can be said to be adhering to the spirit of a Socialist organisation is beyond me. However, debate over the issue will always be far more damaging to the Conservative Party than to Labour, the mark of nationalism I fear.

I am only now beginning to see how much the Government is split over the issue, I managed to have a quiet lunch with Ted Heath today and he is increasing convinced that the hard-right of the party will attempt a palace coup against the Prime Minister if his pro-Europe sentiment becomes any more apparent. He is worried that, should that occur, the country will get lumbered with someone even more detestable than Mrs. Thatcher, Procter is being spoken of as a future hair apparent which would be truly horrifying.

Ireland, sadly, is no longer on the front pages. The deaths and illegal internment of prisoners continues, but Ian Gow is managing to keep the worst of the atrocities off the front pages on the mainland. I find myself having to rely progressively more on the Irish Times to keep abreast of the news. I’m afraid to say that Peter [Archer] is not challenging Gow enough over Unionist atrocities there. According to David Hume, over fifty of his constituents have been arrested in the past month, as long as such aggressive and undemocratic measures continue I can see little sign of the violence ending.

The MP for Sledgefield, Tony Blair is making a name for himself, I always had him down as a right winger but, to the surprise of most of his colleagues, he joined the Socialist Campaign Group a few days ago. He sort me out as I was on my way home and we managed to have a very positive chat on the future of the Party. I think that he could make a fine future minister and pledged to watch his career with great interest. His wife (Tony Booth’s daughter) has just been selected to contest Jim’s old seat at the next election, both could be well worth watching I feel.

Hilary rang from America tonight where he is assisting Senator Hart on preparing for his future Presidential bid. Apparently Hart has been warned off women by a Congressional ally. I said to Hilary that it was not behaviour that one would wish to see in a possible American leader but he told me not to take too much stock in the rumours.”

-Excerpt from Tony Benn: Diaries 1983-90

“MIXED DAY FOR GOVERNMENT IN BY-ELECTIONS

The Government held two out of the three seats contested yesterday in the by-elections caused by the assassination of the three senior Conservatives in the shootings at Westminster Abbey in December. The Tories safely held Sutton Coldfield, formally held by Defence Secretary Norman Fowler, with candidate Iain Duncan Smith almost 9000 votes ahead of the Labour candidate. The Conservative candidate Mr. Tim Janman also held the seat of Wanstead and Woolford formerly held by Chief Whip Patrick Jenkin by over 8000 votes.

In a surprise result however, the Conservatives did lose the Waveney seat held by the former Northern Ireland Secretary James Prior by a narrow margin to the Social Democratic Party candidate, Shirley Williams. Mrs. Williams, a founding member of the SDP who lost her Crosby seat at the last General Election, was said to be “thrilled” at her return to the Commons and announced a desire to “further develop the SDP as the true voice of the moderate majority of British politics”. It is not yet known whether Mrs. Williams will return to the SDP front bench following a number of disagreements with Party leader David Owen.”

-From The Guardian: Friday 25th January 1985

“Despite the break with the more aggressive areas of Thatcherism, the Conservative Party was still treating the social welfare of the nation with great disdain. There were clear signs of a conservative backlash against the “Permissiveness” of the sixties and seventies which manifested itself in legislation limiting gay rights and other matters I had always felt to be down to the individual.

My campaign for Parliament therefore was motivated far more down to social rather than economic matters. I’ve always been on the right of the Labour Party when it came to the latter and I was apparently tipped for defection to the SDP soon after my election. I’ve always taken that as a slight, I’ve always been very loyal to the Party. After Owen made his second defection I said to myself, “Churchill could get away with it, no one else ever will”.

-Former Education Secretary Christopher Morris in a recent interview for the Observer magazine

Last edited:
I assume you mean Tony Blair, member for Sedgefield, but apart from that typo it's very good. Particularly loving the Chris Morris references. I'd have to say that I'd vote for him. I take it you're setting up Heseltine to be a rather weak leader as he seems to have lost the support of the party fairly rapidly, or are we just seeing the thoughts of the anti-Heseltine camp?

I assume you mean Tony Blair, member for Sedgefield, but apart from that typo it's very good. Particularly loving the Chris Morris references. I'd have to say that I'd vote for him. I take it you're setting up Heseltine to be a rather weak leader as he seems to have lost the support of the party fairly rapidly, or are we just seeing the thoughts of the anti-Heseltine camp?

I changed it almost as soon as I uploaded it, so you must have seen the update very quickly.

At the moment, most of the anti-Heseltine talk is behind-the-scenes rumblings from the right-wing of the party, prompted by the slight back down over the miners strike. Tarzan is still enjoying a slight honeymoon in the polls, limited though it is. The EEC issue will come to crisis point fairly soon in the next few posts, as will a certain scandle in America.

Last edited:
So Iain Duncan-Smith does'nt get the Tory nomination for Chingford (thereby replacing Norman Tebbit as the M.P For Chingford), & Harry Cohen does'nt get Wanstead & Woodford...?
Intresting to say the least...