Fate of a Colin Powell presidency

What if Colin Powell was president in place of George W. Bush? There are roughly two scenarios that I can envision.

First, he becomes a great or perhaps an above average president: a latter-day Eisenhower who presides over a decade of peace abroad and prosperity at home.

Under this scenario, I figure he avoids the entanglements of the War on Terror, perhaps by reacting more forcefully to the August 2001 intelligence memo that predicted a 9/11, or by mounting a limited intervention in Afghanistan in the aftermath of 9/11 that takes out Bin Laden at Tora Bora.

Domestically, he leads the GOP toward a more moderate direction, toning down the social conservatism of the base and attracting huge segments of African-Americans and other minorities into the Republican fold. As to what his signature domestic policy initiatives would be, beyond standard-issue Republican tax cuts, I don't know. But I imagine towards the end of his term, something like the Great Recession still takes place owing to long-term structural trends in the way Amercia's de-regulated financial system is take place. So, for the most part, he's a great and very popular president but leaves office on a sour note due to the troubled economy.

The second scenario is one based on an observation about Powell that despite his proven leadership credentials as a solider and General, his record as Secretary of State showed how politically weak or malleable he was as he so easily he caved into the neoconservative agenda on Iraq, despite his personal opposition. If as President, the various ideological constituencies within the GOP (Wall Street, neocons, so-cons) prevail over him in the same way, then the Powell administration might be just turn out to be a slightly more competent and articulate and a marginally more moderate version of the George W. Bush administration.

There's obviously more than can be said beyond these two rough scenarios, but what do you think a Powell 2000 presidency would look like in terms of its political orientation, policy record and historical legacy?

I think a Powell administration would risk provoking the rise of a more hard-right party owing to Powell’s social liberalism and economically moderate stances. That’s assuming he even can get nominated and win as a pro-choice Republican given how much of a litmus test the issue is.

Beyond that I think the second scenario is more likely. He likely has many of the same people as Bush on national security matters in his cabinet, which means he will he pushed in a neoconservative direction.

that I think the second scenario is more likely. He likely has many of the same people as Bush on national security matters in his cabinet, which means he will he pushed in a neoconservative direction.

I'm in agreement, but it shouldn't be discounted how a change in his position may have made him a bit more adamant than in OTL. Holding the Presidency means that he has ultimate authority, not just the limited independence of a cabinet position. And while he'd probably have the same sorts of characters populating his administration, it'd likely not be a one-for-one identical cabinet. Powell may have some personal issues with some the Bush appointees that might shift the direction of the administration just enough to keep himself holding the reigns.
Bush was led by the nose in ways that Powell had to be misinformed and coerced into. I'm no fan of Powell, but I give enough credit that he'd be able to steer his ship, or at least crack down when some of his people cross a line.

If he ends up butting heads with the think tank babies there may well be a scandal or two that derails the administration.

I'm wondering what solid evidence we have for the sort of staff Powell would choose, exec staff, cabinet, VP....

I don't think Powell ever gave serious thought to a presidential run, despite the notion that he would be a strong candidate due to his war heroism in the Gulf. So he didn't really have a team of people to work with on what a Powell presidency would look like.

Here are some ideas for who could be in the cabinet though:

Vice President Rick Santorum

Secretary of State John McCain

Secretary of Defense Norman Schwarzkopf

Attorney General Rudy Giuliani

SsgtC

Banned
Assuming that W still runs, but is defeated by Powell in the Primaries, I could see Powell asking W to serve as his VP. That gives him a Southern Conservative to balance the ticket. Not sure about the rest of the Cabinet.

Powell would never win a Republican primary. He would need to be a VP that ascended to the Presidency through a death or such.

Vice President Rick Santorum
IIRC Santorum wasn't as prominently socially conservative until after the 2000 election. He'd just be another boring Republican Congressman during the election. A Religious Right running mate is someone more like Mike Huckabee.

I think a Powell administration would risk provoking the rise of a more hard-right party owing to Powell’s social liberalism and economically moderate stances. That’s assuming he even can get nominated and win as a pro-choice Republican given how much of a litmus test the issue is.

Beyond that I think the second scenario is more likely. He likely has many of the same people as Bush on national security matters in his cabinet, which means he will he pushed in a neoconservative direction.

There might very well be a conservative revolt less in the form of a third party but more in the style of a Tea Party movement from the grassroots but I could only see such a thing erupting towards the end of his presidency, when the analogue of the financial crash takes place, the banks are bailed out and on a visceral cultural level, the hard-right base becomes resentful at how much more liberal the Powell GOP has become, and how the party narrative and emphasis will have shifted in favor of attracting minority communities. (This trajectory was already present with GWB in how he was able to get the vote of large segments of Asian, Arab & Muslim (pre-9/11) and Latino voters. This intraparty backlash would be doubly likely if the Powell admin is able to pass bipartisan immigration reform/DREAM Act-type legislation.

As to whether his pro-choice stance can get him through the primary, my thought is that his prestige as a four star general and fmr. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs would override such issues, he can always 'evolve' his way toward a pro-life direction or just say as McCain once did, that the party is better off toning it down on the issue. This latter option might not endear him to the Evangelical votes but he'll more than make up for it with African-American, moderate and usually Democratic voters.

I'm in agreement, but it shouldn't be discounted how a change in his position may have made him a bit more adamant than in OTL. Holding the Presidency means that he has ultimate authority, not just the limited independence of a cabinet position. And while he'd probably have the same sorts of characters populating his administration, it'd likely not be a one-for-one identical cabinet. Powell may have some personal issues with some the Bush appointees that might shift the direction of the administration just enough to keep himself holding the reigns.
Bush was led by the nose in ways that Powell had to be misinformed and coerced into. I'm no fan of Powell, but I give enough credit that he'd be able to steer his ship, or at least crack down when some of his people cross a line.

If he ends up butting heads with the think tank babies there may well be a scandal or two that derails the administration.

I'm wondering what solid evidence we have for the sort of staff Powell would choose, exec staff, cabinet, VP....

Yes, I agree that Powell as president would of course be the final authority and have final say over whether neocon ideas are turned into policy, but it would ultimately depend on how a largely apolitical figure like Powell selects appointees and advisors from the available pool of GOP 'talent.' We have little to no evidence as to how he would have gone about assembling his team. He might have gotten Condoleeza Rice from GWB in the same way that Nixon got Kssinger from Rockefeller's failed campaign in '68 and she might well have ended up as NSA in this administration as well.
Assuming that W still runs, but is defeated by Powell in the Primaries, I could see Powell asking W to serve as his VP. That gives him a Southern Conservative to balance the ticket. Not sure about the rest of the Cabinet.

IIRC Santorum wasn't as prominently socially conservative until after the 2000 election. He'd just be another boring Republican Congressman during the election. A Religious Right running mate is someone more like Mike Huckabee.

Yes, a Southern conservative/evangelical would be the logical choice for VP. Someone like Bush, Huckabee or a Southerner with a strong civil rights record like John Aschroft. Jim Baker could also be considered for the #2 spot, such a pick would more than make up for Powell's lack of partisan political experience and could very well serve as the president's political troubleshooter. Brent Scowcroft would make a decent Secretary of State. Another good choice for SOS is Dick Armitage, his OTL Deputy. Powell could also do some more poaching from GWB's "Vulcan" campaign team as well as the GHWB alumni.

With respect to the neocons, the funny thing to note is that GWB's campaign appeared to reject neoconservatism and "nation-building" efforts, pointing out in the debate with Gore that the US shouldn't be the world's policeman, yet 9/11 caused a complete 180 and all the Rumsfelds, Wolfowitzes and Kristols just pounced. Hard to say how their ideas and influences would have fared under Powell.

On Feb. 26th, 2001, everyone but him in the line of succession was in Washington D.C. along with the Supreme Court, most of Congress, and all but four state governors. And a good sized asteroid passed close to Earth that day.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/ash-monday.385808/

A most interesting scenario but this thread merely asks what happens if Colin Powell is president instead of GWB, preferably without a catastrophic 'Designated Survivor' type national decapitation scenario.

All this talk of social conservative revolt ignores that when push comes to shove, the GOP will back a liberal Republican over a Conservative democrat. The price is usually a very solid red conservative VP, and the promise to appoint pro-life Justices.

Case in point, Trump.

Powell gets the nod, likely with Dubya or someone more rightwing as VP.

All this talk of social conservative revolt ignores that when push comes to shove, the GOP will back a liberal Republican over a Conservative democrat. The price is usually a very solid red conservative VP, and the promise to appoint pro-life Justices.

Case in point, Trump.

I would agree that this kind of bargain with the pro-lifers is likely. But I don’t think the intraparty “revolt” if one is to take place will be social conservative in nature as much as it would be a Tea Party/proto-Trump populist movement in reaction to a combination of GOP free trade orthodoxy and more cultural cosmopolitanism (re immigration and minority communities attracted to the GOP, which could become a much bigger tent under Powell.)

A darker scenario is Powel gets similar treatment as Obama, with a wide variety of racist groups working to undercut him, and social conservatives deciding he is too liberal to be fit for the Presidency.

Case in point, Trump.

And there it is. Like Trump, Powell will have real challenges in the job. Unlike Trump, he'll be harder to demagogue against and thus more popular. on top of the boost he'd get for being the first black president.

And there it is. Like Trump, Powell will have real challenges in the job. Unlike Trump, he'll be harder to demagogue against and thus more popular. on top of the boost he'd get for being the first black president.

On top of, you know, being one of our more capable military leaders of the modern era, and an unabashed patriot.

Donnie isn't wortg sharing the same breath as General Powell.

A darker scenario is Powel gets similar treatment as Obama, with a wide variety of racist groups working to undercut him, and social conservatives deciding he is too liberal to be fit for the Presidency.
This is why he'd never make it through a GOP primary. He doesn't have a large enough base to power through all the parts of the party that will be virulently opposed to him. He's certainly not getting any evangelical support.

The Obama comparison doesn't even work because Obama could count on black support while black Republicans are a tiny demographic. You need a drastically different Powell or a drastically different GOP for him to become President in the traditional manner.

Last edited:
All those saying he would never make it through the primaries, one word: Trump.

Man's a war hero with the potential to break the Democratic stranglehold on the black vote forever. A good chunk of the GOP will overlook a lot for that.

I could see the dems go in some ugly directions with Powell - they did just elect two Southern Democrats President and VP, and counted a Klansman among thier Senate leaders. This was not today's Democratic party.

Forget the Obama backlash, we could see Bush Derangement Syndrome get even uglier.

We could see a very ugly mash of Southern Dixiecrats, Moveon dot org style anti-war types, plus 9/11 conspiracy nuts... Dems who hate him not only for being a (insert racial slur here), but a war criminal who used a false flag attack to get us at war.

All those saying he would never make it through the primaries, one word: Trump.

Man's a war hero with the potential to break the Democratic stranglehold on the black vote forever. A good chunk of the GOP will overlook a lot for that.

I could see the dems go in some ugly directions with Powell - they did just elect two Southern Democrats President and VP, and counted a Klansman among thier Senate leaders. This was not today's Democratic party.

Forget the Obama backlash, we could see Bush Derangement Syndrome get even uglier.

We could see a very ugly mash of Southern Dixiecrats, Moveon dot org style anti-war types, plus 9/11 conspiracy nuts... Dems who hate him not only for being a (insert racial slur here), but a war criminal who used a false flag attack to get us at war.
Trump is the very opposite of Powell. Trump was the culmination and nationalization of the southern strategy who propelled himself ahead of the pack by dropping the dog whistles and openly feeding the Republican base red meat. A black man could very obviously not do this, and Colin Powell would especially not be willing to.

And he's pro-choice, which puts a really low ceiling on him amongst the GOP primary electorate. He'd have to lie about that and adopt a hard anti-abortion stance.

Last edited: