EUIII is Devouring My Soul

The Sandman

Banned
If you want to know why I haven't posted much in the past week or so, it's mainly because I picked up EUIII last Monday and have since been engrossed in my quest to lead Portugal to world domination.

Thus far, it's 1550, the Aztecs and Incas (with their lovely gold provinces) are now mine, I've steadily colonized most of the bits of South America and the Far East that are open and worth having, and I just diplo-annexed Castile. Now I'm just trying to do the same to Aragon while finishing my colonizing efforts and waiting for the right time to pay those attractive looking tea and spice provinces a visit.

Who said blatant imperialism wasn't fun? :cool:

Diamond

Banned
Is EUIII a little easier to play than II, or is it basically the same interface/gameplay with updated graphics?

The Sandman

Banned
Is EUIII a little easier to play than II, or is it basically the same interface/gameplay with updated graphics?

I never played II, actually. HOI 1 and 2 were my games, before this came out.

As far as I can tell from what I've read, though, the interface has been vastly streamlined (in a good way; there's still depth, but it apparently isn't as hard to slog through it to find information or do things) and the gameplay has a few interesting tweaks, such as National Ideas you can take at certain techlevels that modify your nation's stats (extra tax income, a casus belli against nations of other religions, etc.) and the ability to recruit dedicated generals and admirals for combat. Also, you can gain additional cores and accepted cultures.

It's been fun so far. The toughest time I've had was trying to repay the loans I took to hire mercenaries when the Castilians attacked me in 1455. I am playing on the easiest difficulty right now, though; I figure that once I'm good enough to move up, it will get a lot harder.

I'll probably play the Ottomans next, though. Less colonization and more conquest. :D

Buy this game. Buy it now.

I started the game the DAY before Charles the Bold's death and am in the process of colonizing most of North America.

Yeah, its a great game. But i'm still playing Hearts Of Iron II more.

I'm playing as France from 1453. Its 1501 now and next to whole of france i have taken the low countries, the Pyrenees and have vassalized Norway(they declared war on my ally Scotland, big mistake) and i have some nice colonies in the caribbean, Florida(by beating the Cherokee, or Shawnee. can't remember) and South America.

Planning on full colonization of the Caribbean and taking Castille and England

EUIII is good, but I still like Victoria better.

In EUII, has anyone encountered the formation of Great Britian, but still have an independent England. I've had this twice so far. In the most resent game England is all of Ireland, while Great Britian is from Scotland straight down to Brittany.

I'm playing EU3 as Russia currently. It's great fun. However, I do feel it was a bad move to remove historical events. Nevertheless, I'm still enjoying whitling Lithuania down to size, even if it was Lithuania that inherited Poland and the other way around.

Bright day
Yeah, it is devouring my WoW time :(. Though it gets overly long and I really hate army and naval traditions with a passion of thousand bruning suns.

Fiddling to much with Victoria (Austrian AAR) and Doomsday (modding). I might be tempted to, though. How's the HRE implemented and can you reform it?

Heheh, playing France in EUIII.

To finished up the Hundred Years' War, diplo-annexed my vassals, fought in a couple of Italian wars, declared war on England again to protect my ally Scotland. I ended landed troops all across the British Isles, eventually annexed Connaught in the peace treaty and made a newly-freeed Cornwall a valued ally of the French crown.

Last edited:
I am Brandenburg and have taken over Germany, Austria, split Poland with Muscovy (Lithunaia has gone), conquered Scandanavia and am now bogged down in the Lowlands against a mega Enlgand that has taken most of Nortghern France but has left Scotland alone (which is very unusual normally it disappears quickly), I still have not got the fomation of Germany but I think it is the game, I did this by not doing colonisastion, after all why bother spending at least 500 gold to turn a colony into a province (so you can make some decent money) when you can just build an army wait for your manpower to refill and annex your neighbours big juicy cashcow provinces.

Fiddling to much with Victoria (Austrian AAR) and Doomsday (modding). I might be tempted to, though. How's the HRE implemented and can you reform it?
Territories belong to the HRE. Nations that control HRE territories have a say in HRE affairs. Depending on the specifics, there's upwards of seven (I think) HRE electors. To become the Holy Roman Emperor, I just bribe all the electors. Being the Emperor gives you a huge stability and manpower bonus, and well as a prestige boost (I think.)

It's a little buggy, though. During a Burgundy game, my biggest contender for the electors' votes was a small African kingdom neighboring Ethiopia (Funj, iirc).

The Sandman

Banned
Yes, and my Portugal is the Holy Roman Emperor without actually being a member state. I do wish there was some way to buy provinces from other countries, though; at the very least, considering that I diplo-vassalized England, I'd like to be able to purchase Guadeloupe off of them.

And now I'm just ten years away from reuniting Iberia, having vassalized Aragon.

Also, the power of the Deus Vult idea is incredible, especially if you play as Japan (since you're the only Shinto nation except for the Ryukyus, Deus Vult gives you a free permanent CB on the entire rest of the world).

I thought the military traditions introduced a fascinating new concept/theme into the gameplay.

Yes it would be interesting addition. But as it is in the opening stages good generals copletely break the action. Schock 3 general and your leaderless army does not stand chance even if it outnumbers enemy 20 to 1.

Sadly my computer can't run EUIII :( . So I bought Crusader Kings instead, Nothing looks even close to history after 50 years of play.