Early death of Frederick Wilhelm I of Prussia

Let's say King Frederick Wilhelm I of Prussia dies in 1730 shortly before or after the Katte affair. Besides the obvious of Frederick (soon to be the Great) becoming King, what else is foreseeable? Frederick's marriage would almost certainly be changed. Could Frederick have had children with a different wife? With children, what does Prussia look like during Napoleon?

I believe Freddie the great was gay or he's suffered an injury to his male genitalia. I believe these two theories one he is gay or alternatively he made it appear that years ago so that the other European monarchs don't know no he can't get it up. But I'm fairly sure that Frederick the Great prefer the company of other men.

I would like to mention I have no problem with people or historical people being gay I mentioned this just in case my comments trigger's anyone.

I believe Freddie the great was gay or he's suffered an injury to his male genitalia. I believe these two theories one he is gay or alternatively he made it appear that years ago so that the other European monarchs don't know no he can't get it up. But I'm fairly sure that Frederick the Great prefer the company of other men.

I would like to mention I have no problem with people or historical people being gay I mentioned this just in case my comments trigger's anyone.
I've read this too, but plenty of gay monarch's did there "duty" (as it were) for crown and county. I hadn't seen the physical problem theory.

He was quite definitely gay. Frederick Wilhelm I saw himself as the epitomie of Prussian manhood, rejecting the arts as effeminate. If you want to know how cruel Frederick Wilhelm was to his son about his son's homosexuality, just know that Frederick Wilhelm forced him to watch as he had Frederick's friend and potential lover, Hans Hermann von Katte, be beheaded for treason after the two attempted to flee Prussia for England in 1810.

Frederick Wilhelm then forced him to marry Elizabeth Christine. Said marriage was unsurprisingly unhappy.

It has been theorized that Frederick's experiences with his father led him to his famous rejection of Machiavelli-style despotism.

As king, he also collected homoerotic art which he displayed on Palace grounds.

I've read this too, but plenty of gay monarch's did there "duty" (as it were) for crown and county. I hadn't seen the physical problem theory.
I think he was a least bi, he lusted for his future archenemy of Maria Theresa but yeah, he doesn't wanting to have kids come from his traumas

VVD0D95

Banned
I think he was a least bi, he lusted for his future archenemy of Maria Theresa but yeah, he doesn't wanting to have kids come from his traumas
And I suspect his bitterness at who his wife was. A different wife may produce a different outcome.

Voltaire and one of the other statesmen of the day both attest to the injury. According to another Prussian person-in-the-know, it was due to a venereal dissase that Fritz had contracted (one posit is that he caught it on a visit to Dresden).

Grumbkow tells of an interesting story shortly after the Katte-Affair. Fritz was under house arrest at Wusterhausen. He was involved with a Colonel de Wreech. Or...to put it more correctly, Madame de Wreech. In due course, the madame became pregnant and tongues wagged. Friedrich Wilhelm sent Grumbkow to investigate, Grumbkow asked about the rumours, Fritz simply said "Untrue" not "kid's not mine" (but Grumbkow never mentions WHAT rumour he asked Fritz about. Is she pregnant? Is it yours? Are you having an affair with her? Is there a sordid little menage à trois à la Gustaf III going on? Or any of the countless other possibilities).

But then there's the reaction when the baby is born. It gets passed off as Madame de Wreech's husband's, but is never included in the official lists of Wreech's kids. This COULD be because the child only lived a few weeks (its not specified what gender the child was), but the most telling is from Fritz himself. A letter of six years later Fritz writes of it, calling the child an "adorable person, a little miracle of nature". He remains "attached" to Madame de Wreech, sending hrr his portrait and hoping she wouldn't think badly of him. When her property at Tamsel was damaged in the WotAS, he paid for the repairs himself.

Maybe Friedrich simply never got over the pain of the child dying?

As to his relations with his OTL wife, they were stiff and stilted because he regarded her as an Austrian spy. He himself wrote to Wilhelmine that "there can be neither love nor friendship between us. I will keep my word and marry the lady (Elisabeth Christine); but then it will be bonjour, Madame, et bon chance! My mute lady has sent me a china snuff box as a present. It arrived broken. What good can that portend?"

Ergo, if we acknowledge any of the above as true, Fritz is capable of fathering a child and forming an affectionate relationship with a woman. None of his siblings were heroically fertile as their mother (Philippine Charlotte more the exception than the rule; since Wilhelmine had one, Ansbach had four, Schwedt had five (of which two died), Lovisa had five; his oldest brother had four; Henry had none and his youngest brother only fathered the future Princess Radziwill, the rest of his kids' being fathered by his wife's lover).

Voltaire and one of the other statesmen of the day both attest to the injury. According to another Prussian person-in-the-know, it was due to a venereal dissase that Fritz had contracted (one posit is that he caught it on a visit to Dresden).

Grumbkow tells of an interesting story shortly after the Katte-Affair. Fritz was under house arrest at Wusterhausen. He was involved with a Colonel de Wreech. Or...to put it more correctly, Madame de Wreech. In due course, the madame became pregnant and tongues wagged. Friedrich Wilhelm sent Grumbkow to investigate, Grumbkow asked about the rumours, Fritz simply said "Untrue" not "kid's not mine" (but Grumbkow never mentions WHAT rumour he asked Fritz about. Is she pregnant? Is it yours? Are you having an affair with her? Is there a sordid little menage à trois à la Gustaf III going on? Or any of the countless other possibilities).

But then there's the reaction when the baby is born. It gets passed off as Madame de Wreech's husband's, but is never included in the official lists of Wreech's kids. This COULD be because the child only lived a few weeks (its not specified what gender the child was), but the most telling is from Fritz himself. A letter of six years later Fritz writes of it, calling the child an "adorable person, a little miracle of nature". He remains "attached" to Madame de Wreech, sending hrr his portrait and hoping she wouldn't think badly of him. When her property at Tamsel was damaged in the WotAS, he paid for the repairs himself.

Maybe Friedrich simply never got over the pain of the child dying?

As to his relations with his OTL wife, they were stiff and stilted because he regarded her as an Austrian spy. He himself wrote to Wilhelmine that "there can be neither love nor friendship between us. I will keep my word and marry the lady (Elisabeth Christine); but then it will be bonjour, Madame, et bon chance! My mute lady has sent me a china snuff box as a present. It arrived broken. What good can that portend?"

Ergo, if we acknowledge any of the above as true, Fritz is capable of fathering a child and forming an affectionate relationship with a woman. None of his siblings were heroically fertile as their mother (Philippine Charlotte more the exception than the rule; since Wilhelmine had one, Ansbach had four, Schwedt had five (of which two died), Lovisa had five; his oldest brother had four; Henry had none and his youngest brother only fathered the future Princess Radziwill, the rest of his kids' being fathered by his wife's lover).
I've been fascinated by a match with Princess Amelia, Freddie's British cousin, and the effects of having a child would have on the outcomes of the Napoleonic wars. Specifically, avoiding Frederick Wilhelm II's reign.

I've been fascinated by a match with Princess Amelia, Freddie's British cousin, and the effects of having a child would have on the outcomes of the Napoleonic wars. Specifically, avoiding Frederick Wilhelm II's reign.
No offense, but Fritz having a kid doesn't mean the kid will be any more like Fritz than Fritz was like his old man.