Earlier Civil War?

I'm a little hazy on the early history on slavery in the US, but would it be possible for the Civil War to occur earlier? Sometime around 1836-1844'ish?

For some reason I just had an image of Andrew Jackson in a Confederate uniform and it... fit somehow. :D

I'm a little hazy on the early history on slavery in the US, but would it be possible for the Civil War to occur earlier? Sometime around 1836-1844'ish?

For some reason I just had an image of Andrew Jackson in a Confederate uniform and it... fit somehow. :D

Jackson would never join the confederates, he was by far the most pro-union president the U.S ever had

John C. Calhoun would lead the South and poop his pants the moment Andrew Jackson and the union army even looks at him. He is probably one of the very few presidents to fit this trope.

I prefer later Civil Wars myself (I've done two already, one beginning in 1868 and the other in 1879.)

There was a discussion on here about the Nullification Crisis turning into a Civil War. Not necessarily just about Tariffs, but having William Wilburforce tour the Union to campaign against slavery and hopefully get some material for his fight in Parliament.

This stirs up abolitionist sentiment earlier in the United States. The Nat Turner Rebellion throws Virginia into the states' rights loop and Nullification of the Tariff is soon coupled with a law that the northern states are trying to push through: one that is basically defined as an anti-slave capture law. If a slave ends to a free state, he is no longer a slave. It brings up Fifth Amendment issues, but John Marshall doesn't waver on his decision. The law stays in place and the southern states each nullify the bill one by one in their own state legislatures, beginning with South Carolina, Georgia, and soon Virginia. Virginia's the important state, leading the south in the war. When the Force Bill passes through Congress, secession would most likely immediately follow.

Victory for the south would be, if not assured, much more likely. They have a more even population in the 1830s, an equal economy, and aren't overpowered by the amount of Union states.

Of course, assuming it's 1833, the CSA (again, just for the sake of argument, calling it the CSA) would consist of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Misissippi, and Louisiana. Most likely Arkansas Territory too.

Tennessee and Missouri are the toss ups. Kentucky to some degree as well. I believe Missouri was a lot more southern in the 30s than it was by the 60s, keeping it in the Union by then. This early on... they might secede. Tennessee is Jackson's home and I find it kind of hard to believe they'd up and abandon the President like such. They're pretty Unionist there too. As for Kentucky? It'd be interesting to see Tennessee stay Union, and Kentucky secede. A very interesting war indeed.

Point taken on Jackson. Actually his keeping Tennesse in the Union, perhaps very divided would make this scenario even more compelling. Kentucky and Missouri would be even more likely to join with the South ITTL than OTL leaving Tennesse surronded.

That would make Kentucky/Tennesse the primary front more than likely. Almost wanting to hash out a TL for this one..

Grey Wolf

Donor
You could well see an earlier reversed civil war, with at least 2 potential times for this - one being the hazy 1803 conspiracy dragging in Aaron Burr, the other the 1814 movement, both of which were for NEW ENGLAND secession from the rest of the USA dragging them down.

If we want to look at even more diverse scenarios, then you can throw in Burr's later conspiracies in Louisiana and see where that lands

Best Regards
Grey Wolf