Votes: 23 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are they now:

-Mike Hicks

-Isaias Samakuva

-Lamar Alexander

Mike Hicks: I don't know which Mike Hicks you're talking about.

Samakuva: Relevant leader in the UNITA movement, which is now on the brink of "liberating" Angola.

Alexander: Likely out of office. I don't know who Bush would choose to be his successor as Secretary of Education.

Any other individuals.

Last edited:
Will there be a sequel series for this one?

@Konrad Sartorius said that this series is into three parts. This Part will end in 1996

WHile drawing a outline up for the TL, I never realized how utterly boring peace is:p. In the age of American hyperpower, there is no major tension in the air.

So for Part 2 I'll focus on the lead up to a possible ATL 9/11 or Zhirinovsky reign and in Part 3 I'll focus on the Iraq War and the Arab Spring, should either of those occur.

In between I might write a breif stand alone novel detailing life in Poland/East Germany for the common man during this alternate Cold War..

Chapter 63, Part 4

October 21, 1995

Armenia-Azerbaijan

In October 1995, the Armenian and Azeri SSRs voted on whether or not to succeed from the flagging USR. The lead-up to the campaign had seen a major escalation of radical racial rhetoric on both sides. Violence had occurred on a daily basis despite the best efforts of USR soldiers trying to prevent the outbreak of violence. Ethnic violence had already claimed the lives of over a thousand USR citizens on both sides of the conflict.

As the poll results came in, it became very clear that both SSRs had succeeded. This was largely because, neither side trusted the USR government to remain neutral, with conspiracy theories of Moscow colluding with the other ethnic group running rampant. Within hours of the poll results, ethnic violence escalated to a new level of violence, leaving dozens dead in racial pogroms as both groups sought to ethnically cleanse their SSRs of the other ethnic group.

In the coming months, ethnic tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan would reach the status of all out war, as Armenia sought to incorporate ethnic Armenians in Azerbaijan into their country through force. Ultimately the conflict would come to an end in a 1999 ceasefire brought about by international pressure upon both sides, with Armenia accomplishing all of its military objectives.

stream_img.jpg

^
Azeri soldiers fire upon Aremenians during the Azeri-Aremenian War. The region is one of the most heavily militarized areas in the world.

November 7, 1995

Kiev, Ukraine

In November of 1995, the Ukrainian people's took to the polls in a referendum on whether or not to succeed from the USR and establish Ukraine as an independent country. In the wake of the May Revolution, the Ukrainian SSR’s parliament had passed a “Declaration of Ukrainian Autonomy” which granted the SSR significant powers from the central government in Moscow. However, this declaration fell short of declaring full independence, with the USR’s central government already pledging to permit a referendum on independence as a concession to Ukrainian nationalists.

Throughout the campaign, an intense and in many cases confrontational campaign took place between unionists and nationalists. Nationalists sought to paint the Ukrainian people as one of the chief victims of the Soviet Union, claiming that events such as the “Holodomor,” as they called the Ukrainian Famine of the early 1930s, was an act of genocide. This controversial move prompted backlash from other parts of the USR and the Ukrainian SSR, with unionists claiming that the Ukraine is an integral part of the USR and would be significantly worse off economically if it were to leave the Union.

Desperate to retain the Ukrainian SSR, which has a large population of 52 million, the USR state has promised to ensure large amounts of localized autonomy for the various ethnic republics after the drafting of a new constitution following the USR’s first democratic elections, slated to occur early 1996. Vowing to “respect the right to local self-rule” Gaidar has pledged to take steps to let the various ethnic minorities have a greater say over policy issues, particularly in the realm of culture, morality, and local economics. Gaidar acknowledged that “terrible crimes and mistakes were made by previous Soviet leaders against the Ukrainian peoples” but begged Ukrainian people to “work together with the other USR peoples to build a new and powerful democracy.” Such attempts at reconciling the Ukrainian population would be denounced as “apologism for the Russian nation” by far-right politicians such as Zhirinovsky, and far-left politicians such as communists like Zyuganov denouncing the “slandering of Soviet history.”

Ultimately, Gaidar’s a pledge of increased autonomy would ultimately persuade a slight majority of Ukrainian citizens to vote to remain a part of the USR. In the upcoming months, Ukrainians and citizens of the various other non-Russian parts of the USR would angle to ensure that regionalist politicians get elected to the first democratically elected parliament in Russian/Soviet/USR history.

260px-People_celebrate_the_declaration_of_Ukraine%27s_national_independence_near_the_Verkhovna_Rada_in_Kyiv_on_Aug._24%2C_1991.jpg

^
Pro-Unionists celebrate their narrow electoral victory in the Ukrainian Independence Referendum of 1995.

77946582.jpg

^
Independence campaigners had tried to aruge that the Ukraine would be able to reassert it's national identity if it were to succeed from the USR. However, fears of the economic consequences of seperation prompted many Ukrainians to vote for being part of a confederation with the remainder of the former Soviet Union.

Ukraine21.jpg

^
A scene from the May Revolution of 1995. The Ukrainian capital Kiev was gripped by massive upheaval during the uprising that toppled the Ligachev government.

I'm excited to see how the USR constitution will pan out. I assume the Ukrainians will use the blue-gold flag and Belarus the white-red-white.

Pls no Lukashenko.

Chapter 64, Part 1: War in the Land of Dracula

November 15, 1995

Targu Mures, The Free Hungarian Revolutionary Sector, Rumania

Eleven year old Karcsi Fabian huddled with his younger seven year old sister, Karola, in the most inner room in their apartment. Their mother had risked a journey out into the streets of the city in order to purchase food and supplies, which were running dangerously low in the besieged city. So low were the Fabian’s supplies running that she would be willing to risk getting killed in the increasingly severe airstrikes targeting the city.

Since the beginning of the month, the Rumanian government had been launching a vicious counter-offensive into the ethnic Hungarian regions of the country, eager to recapture the region from ethnic separatists. The fighting thus far had been intense, with Hungarians and Rumanian soldiers being motivated to defeat the other amidst reports of atrocities and ethnic cleansing by the other side. While the Hungarian rebels had engaged in some reprisals against the Rumanian population in their zone of control, the majority of atrocities had been committed against the Hungarian community by the Rumanian government. Already there were reports of whole towns getting razed by the Securitate with the local Hungarians getting expelled from the area or even killed en masse. Several cities had been targeted by continuous air and artillery attacks.

As the bombs continued to drop ever closer to their home, Karcsi and Karola shook with fear. The plaster from the ceiling continued to come down like snow, each blast growing increasingly louder. Karcsi and Karola were just one of many children the world over who had to experience the hell of war.

stefan-gusa.jpg

^
Iulian Vlad, the new Rumanian strongman. Since coming to power he has intesified the purge of the Rumanian state. Additionally he intensified the anti-Hungarian tendencies of the government, committing what some have called "genocide."

im264-Romanian_Patriotic_Guards_Training_3.jpg

^
Members of the pro-government Patriotic Guard protect an oil refinery.

EW-AG745_Berlin_DV_20090423131026.jpg

^
Rumanian soldier and a plainclothes member of the Securitate engage in a gun battle with rebel snipers.

cf38d61a2b057c6dee75982661081f6a.jpg

^
A Rumanian revolutionary during a lull in the fighting.

soldiers-1989-romanian-revolution.jpg

^
A Rumanian revolutionary stands atop a tank. Notice the cut out flag. The communist emblem has been removed from the nation's tri-color.

Romania_v2.jpg

^
Ethnic map of Rumania. The Hungarian government has been providing support for their ethnic kin across the border.

Last edited:
Chapter 63, Part 4

October 21, 1995

Armenia-Azerbaijan
As the poll results came in, it became very clear that both SSRs had succeeded. This was largely because, neither side trusted the USR government to remain neutral, with conspiracy theories of Moscow colluding with the other ethnic group running rampant. Within hours of the poll results, ethnic violence escalated to a new level of violence, ....Ultimately the conflict would come to an end in a 1999 ceasefire brought about by international pressure upon both sides, with Armenia accomplishing all of its military objectives....
And so yet again, as has been the case about half the time when some small nation manages to get out from under the Russian/Soviet imperialist yoke, they immediately start knifing each other. And yet some fans of this TL cheer every time a secession happens!

It isn't absolute either way, neither mindless unionism nor mindless ethnic nationalism is automatically a good or a bad thing. But OTL since the fall of the USSR and breakup of Yugoslavia, we've on the whole seen a lot more misery coming from divisiveness than oppressive over centralization. And where we can point to oppressive over centralization, there is no hero handy to break the yoke. And anyone can see that one reason for this is that it is hard to guarantee the cure of liberation won't be worse than the disease.

So I've been reading these endless secessions pretty glumly, and in the one case (really a set of cases) up to now where it was not in the cards, I put in a plea that we not interpret that to mean they (the Central Asians) were just playing for time to leave in good order, but that perhaps unity will last. Unity is not automatically good, but it is not automatically bad either.

I wonder whether the attitudes some express of cheering every time a secession happens relates to the possibility the pendulum might now be swinging back, and some distinctly disreputable and scary regimes (Putin's Russia, and the possibility that ISIS, or if not them another iteration of Islamic fundamentalist imperialism down the road) show signs of reversing the trend. Well, I'd argue that if these unionists are bad and threatening, one reason is that disunionists with bad reasons or bad follow-through after good reasons were too successful in the recent past.

I don't complain to see the Baltics secede. (And I attribute the less than unanimous vote to the fact that lots of non-native Russian people had settled there and put down roots, but fear, with reason perhaps, that they will be very much persona non grata in a newly independent Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia--they, and perhaps a handful ethnically native people were the 30 percent against. And who is to say they won't suffer unjustly just as the majorities of these small nations suffered under Russian rule?)

I was sad to see Czechoslovakia split up. One might hope that their objective achieved, the Slovak extremists who resorted to terrorism and thuggery to get their way are largely mollified, but their success might encourage some to appropriate Slovak nationalism (which surely has reasonable supporters as well) as their own accomplishment and push for more--ethnic cleansing of Czechs and who knows, Moravians? And any other minorities such as Magyars? I would not be in favor of Slovakia remaining under even the perception of Czech misrule and I suppose there must have been enough instances of Czech chauvinism to explain the result--but it was a close election whereas the thumb of violent extremism lay on the scales, pushing in the direction of victory in a fashion that makes me wonder about the legitimacy of the outcome. It surely would not happen if Slovaks and Czechs were generally happy brothers and sisters together in a happy family I guess.

But the replacement of tyranny by big centralized tyrants of the Stalinist or Titoist stamp in the past quarter century by petty little tyrannies that seem to reach no end to the fissiparous tendency to shatter community and then produce petty Stalins or Titos with really narrow aspirations suggests to me that if it is possible, it is better for a big and diverse nation to stay together, and trust that diversity of interests will grant even the smaller and least powerful victims a sympathetic hearing and a chance at mutual reconciliation, than it is to trust to the maxim that the smaller the community, the more just and fair.

So even the more peaceful and clearly well-supported secessions fill me with some misgivings, and the most dubious ones with teeth-gnashing dismay.

Consider that in this case, the Azerbaijanis and Armenians both believed Moscow would conspire to tip the scales against them. This suggests to me that, in both sides regarding the Russian "big brother" with resentment and suspicion, the Russians generally had not in fact favored one over the other and thus a kind of rough justice was done under imposed union that can hardly be looked to now. If the Azerbaijanis had been able to foresee the ultimate outcome, would it not have been more reasonable for them to favor continued union, and if they could not trust to the Russians to favor their interest, why not their fellow Islamic Central Asian co-unionists as their lobby?

Sigh...
November 7, 1995

Kiev, Ukraine

In November of 1995, the Ukrainian people's took to the polls in a referendum on whether or not to succeed from the USR and establish Ukraine as an independent country. ....
Ultimately, Gaidar’s a pledge of increased autonomy would ultimately persuade a slight majority of Ukrainian citizens to vote to remain a part of the USR. In the upcoming months, Ukrainians and citizens of the various other non-Russian parts of the USR would angle to ensure that regionalist politicians get elected to the first democratically elected parliament in Russian/Soviet/USR history....

And so at last, I get to Like a post. Most posts deserve a Like for quality and style and integrity, but Liking one where crappy things, no matter how probable, happen seems to send a mixed message.

In fact, I go beyond Like to say:

"Hooray!'

With Ukraine in USR, there is a strong countervailing force to Great Russian dominance. It is up to Great Russian political leadership now whether the Ukrainians firm up their support for a union they have a strong say in and enjoy autonomy in, and perhaps come to identify with the Great Russians in a truly Great Pan-Russian solidarity, with Ukrainian contributions to the former Tsarist Empire and Soviet Union belatedly recognized along with honesty about the relationships of the peoples--and a future that follows a better course.

Keeping this union, and having remain fairly happy, will sidestep enormous amounts of grief in OTL history since 1990.

So once again--hooray for democratic rationality!
Crap.

But hopefully, this May Revolution of 1995 will free it from Russia.

Fuck that, ethnic divergence in europe needs to be stopped tbh

But still, i don't what Ukraine to be with Russia at all in any way.

These sentiments are both extremist. Mind, I've endorsed SRBO because the general trend of separatism has generally been a mess this past generation. Vice versa I would not endorse Ukraine or the 'Stans remaining in union against their will and being chauvinistically downgraded while being economically exploited either. The flip side of alarm at divergence has often been imperialist disdain for the divergent. The notion that it is better for diverse peoples to be roped into one union only works if that union functions democratically and with equal justice. I favor union over disunion both in reaction to the extreme disintegration of our recent times and because if the union exists, there is anyway the potential that equal justice will gradually emerge as individual cases are advocated; with disunion, it seems most likely that resentments, both between separated peoples and seething within the "united" fragments due to the fractal nature of "divergence" but diverted into patriotic channels by the national machinery, will be "settled" through open warfare. As the Azerbaijanis were "settled" in this TL (looking ahead) by the Armenians--or as Putin now seeks to "settle" issues probably more internal to Russia than in terms of serious conflicts with Ukraine (other than its inconvenient existence). Well, the latter problem doesn't arise if Ukraine never separates in the first place, and even better if Ukrainian and Central Asian influence in the USR helps to prevent extremists such as Putin (who is dead here) or others who are shown very active here from taking the kind of power Putin has done OTL.

I really take exception to the idea that Ukraine has some supernatural and eternal sacredness that means it should never be in union with Russia. If the union is fair and free, why object?

I do have to admit that separation while they have the chance would be an appealing option for many Ukrainians who have reason not to trust the Russians lately. But I say give the USR a chance; if it works it has to be an improvement on the ugly realities of OTL.

Come on Hungary, the time for reunification is now! I'd also like to call upon George to introduce some freedom into the country. If America's already won against Iraq and North Korea then what's one more war going to hurt.

Come on Hungary, the time for reunification is now! I'd also like to call upon George to introduce some freedom into the country. If America's already won against Iraq and North Korea then what's one more war going to hurt.

Well, holy heck! Look at the map. Spang in the middle of Romania, dominating most of Transylvania, is "Szekely" land, which does have a Hungarian majority--well Szekelys anyway, who are a Magyar branch. Under the Austro-Hungarian Empire Hungary did indeed hold this, and also the land in between the current Hungarian border and Szekely land. Now look again at that intermediate region. There is a big-Hungarian-minority salient there where a lot of Magyars live, but not a majority. And scattered in the butterfly-shaped area between and around, there are fairly large Magyar minorities.

How can Szekely land be joined to Hungary in the name of majority rights, without violating that same principle and subjecting a lot of Vlach Romanians where they are the local majority to alien Magyar rule? Discontinuous states are not unknown, but to be practical they require good relations between the intermixed nations. How is unilateral Hungarian "reunification" conducive to good relations between Hungary and Romania?

At the moment Romania is a pariah state to be sure; it is quite possible that if you could run an honest plebiscite in the 5%+ Magyar minority regions or heck, all of Transylvania and whatever that province between there and Hungary is called, you'd get majorities favoring union with Hungary at this moment far outnumbering the Magyar vote, just because the Romanian regime is so rotten nearly everyone wants out of it. But if the regime in Bucharest would change, would the non-Magyar majority in most of this territory agree to join with Hungary? I would predict, no they wouldn't.

Having spoken out against schisming nations in the name of ethnic purity, I would now advocate, sooner than aggrandizing Hungary, that a third state be formed from these two regions, and I expect it would be about 50/50 Vlach and Magyar/Szekelys. This nation would put paid to the territorial ambitions of both Hungary and Romania in this region, I would hope. I'd only support this if there were some reason to suppose the diverse populations could learn to share power and balance relations with each other.

If this is unreasonable, then despite the fact that at the moment Hungary has got a reasonable government but Romania is crazy, I'd sooner bet that with the latter problem rectified Romania is the more reasonable custodian of Transylvania than Hungary is.

So I can endorse your call for intervention--not unilateral Yankee intervention, nor even NATO--at this juncture in history, with the five veto-holding UN Security Council members being the USA, USR as successor state to Soviet Union, PRC, and Britain and France, that a strong General Assembly resolution for a peacekeeping force can and would be endorsed unanimously by the Security Council, and that US and other forces (possibly even PRC) plus some of the more usual participants in UN forces such as Ireland can be mustered in a coalition backed by the world peacekeeping body. It would be a new precedent, whereby a serious intervention on a regime changing scale is approved by a majority and the entire SC with no abstentions. It would not be possible for such a resolution to be adopted in the name of aggrandizing Hungarian territory over Magyar, but it might be possible for the UN to endorse the formation of a new nation if that is a reasonable course of action. I'd advise the leadership to keep that option quiet, but in negotiations with Romanian authorities let it slip that if they don't straighten up and reform to demonstrate that they are reasonable custodians of the interests of all their peoples, they can and will see a big chunk of that territory taken away--and undergo intervention to guarantee the new regime is reasonable anyway.

USR ought to be able to supply some of the force--indeed it would be best if this force were composed of armies of the permanent, veto-holding Council members--but Russians might be too scary in the region...then again, in the past 6 years Romania and Bulgaria were the only Warsaw Pact states not to have a huge Red Army contingent stampeding over them. Perhaps it is perfectly appropriate for the USR army to be included on an equal basis with the other 4 powers after all!

Naturally I would not trust anyone who is standing by the current government to be capable of governing responsibly in future and the terms would be, they stand down and open the books on everything they've done, in return on one hand for immunity, and on the other accept disqualification for any government office in the future, with perhaps a process left open to reinstate individuals on a case by case basis. With a strong show of force and resolution, Iulian Vlad might defy them, but would his key supporters, knowing that if they stand with this tricky and murderous dictator the regime forces will nevertheless be crushed and then they'll have no immunity and be lucky to escape with their lives? They can turn on Vlad, turn him in, accept the occupation, and see Romania kept intact under a new and democratic government. Or die with Vlad, their choice.

Note that I'd hold out the immunity in exchange for complete honest disclosure offer even for Vlad, I just judge he won't take it. If he did he'd have to confess to his involvement in murdering the last pair of leaders among all the other great crimes he has committed. But he need not hang, though he might find it advisable to move elsewhere, if he will cooperate. I just figure he won't. His loss.

Once again I'm sure my suggestion is too idealistic for this TL, though I don't think it is unrealistic. An intervention of some kind is surely called for, and surely politically possible. Bush certainly has the credibility to call for it in the USA; Britain and France can surely afford their share, and USR though poor and worn at least still has a heck of an army, and its soldiers have experience on both sides of a struggle like this. The Chinese will surely play along for the prestige of being invited as equals onto the global stage like this. The mechanics of organizing the campaign might be challenging--how to integrate the armies of three liberal democracies, one shaky recent convert to that camp, and one still Stalinist dictatorship? I'd suggest that the Western powers lead the fighting and front-line police work, with USR and PRC advisors to suggest angles Westerners might not think of, and the USR and Chinese largely in the form of ominous reserve forces. That should keep all but a handpicked few from either of the latter out of the actual fray unless it gets really grim, but with enough of a presence that they can boast and can see they aren't being cut out of anything. Then the liberal powers can prevail in setting the terms of the new Romania. It would then basically be a partial NATO operation, but with Russian and Chinese observers on our side of the lines.

It is certainly a way for Bush to end his term with a bang, and I'd have to admit an honest one.

Well, holy heck! Look at the map. Spang in the middle of Romania, dominating most of Transylvania, is "Szekely" land, which does have a Hungarian majority--well Szekelys anyway, who are a Magyar branch. Under the Austro-Hungarian Empire Hungary did indeed hold this, and also the land in between the current Hungarian border and Szekely land. Now look again at that intermediate region. There is a big-Hungarian-minority salient there where a lot of Magyars live, but not a majority. And scattered in the butterfly-shaped area between and around, there are fairly large Magyar minorities.

How can Szekely land be joined to Hungary in the name of majority rights, without violating that same principle and subjecting a lot of Vlach Romanians where they are the local majority to alien Magyar rule? Discontinuous states are not unknown, but to be practical they require good relations between the intermixed nations. How is unilateral Hungarian "reunification" conducive to good relations between Hungary and Romania?

At the moment Romania is a pariah state to be sure; it is quite possible that if you could run an honest plebiscite in the 5%+ Magyar minority regions or heck, all of Transylvania and whatever that province between there and Hungary is called, you'd get majorities favoring union with Hungary at this moment far outnumbering the Magyar vote, just because the Romanian regime is so rotten nearly everyone wants out of it. But if the regime in Bucharest would change, would the non-Magyar majority in most of this territory agree to join with Hungary? I would predict, no they wouldn't.

Having spoken out against schisming nations in the name of ethnic purity, I would now advocate, sooner than aggrandizing Hungary, that a third state be formed from these two regions, and I expect it would be about 50/50 Vlach and Magyar/Szekelys. This nation would put paid to the territorial ambitions of both Hungary and Romania in this region, I would hope. I'd only support this if there were some reason to suppose the diverse populations could learn to share power and balance relations with each other.

snip

I would only support this if it had a snazzy name like Bosnia and Herzegovina *cough*

Maybe it's just me but I don't think the people of the USR being receptive to joining this intervention or any wars for a while after 15 years of bloody and pointless wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.