Could the Kosovo join Albania after WWI in a CP Victory world?

I had this idea of an Albaniawank TL.
It should obviously not start before 1913, when Albania became an independent country.
So getting the Kosovo would be the first step.
Serbia would never give it up without a fight, so we need Serbia weakend.
Macedonia would likely go to Bulgaria, but Kosovo could become Albanian, if Albania declares war on Serbia in the last month of the war, couldn't it?

-Next step would probably to get Montenegro and (part of) Macedonia to join Albania, ideas anybody?

It should obviously not start before 1913, when Albania became an independent country.
Macedonia would likely go to Bulgaria, but Kosovo could become Albanian, if Albania declares war on Serbia in the last month of the war, couldn't it?

-Next step would probably to get Montenegro and (part of) Macedonia to join Albania, ideas anybody?
If the CP won, and both Albania and Bulgaria were on the CP side, I think Macedonia will be divided along ethnic lines...

OTL, Bulgaria advanced a claim to Kosovo in WWI. They didn't take it too seriously, but they did put a few garrisons there in 1916-18.

A CP-victorious world might give Kosovo to Albania anyway, in order to screw over Serbia. After all, victorious Bulgaria will be digesting Macedonia (and probably all of Romania's Dobrudja, as well).

However, note that an *Albania that includes Kosovo is going to be even harder to govern than Albania OTL. (Which is saying something.) Kosovo is separated from the rest of Albania by an inconveniently large mountain range, and it also contains large numbers of non-Albanians. The Albanians won't much care for being (mis)ruled from Tirana, and neither will the Serbs, Montenegrins, and Turks.

Doug M.

bard32

Banned

Albania, in World War I, I think, was neutral. DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT!

Albania, in World War I, I think, was neutral. DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT!

It was, and you're right, for possibly once it your life. But it could have been very easy to sway, what with two other powerful(ish) CP members in the very close vicnity.

It was, and you're right, for possibly once it your life. But it could have been very easy to sway, what with two other powerful(ish) CP members in the very close vicnity.
Well, not exactly.
If I remember correctly, it didn't have much of a functional government for most of the war. People wouldn't know exactly who to sway.

It had no functional government. The "six months king", Wilhelm of Wied, fled the country shortly after the outbreak of WWI. The Allies and the CP promptly recognized rival governments (both neutral, but one friendly to the Allies and one to the CP).

When Italy entered the war in 1915, the Italians occupied the coastal cities with French and British support; this somewhat backfired, as it stirred nationalist sentiment against the Allies, but it did allow the remnants of the Serbian army to escape south later that year.

The Austrians occupied some of the north and interior of the country in 1916-18, but couldn't do much with it. The Allies held the coast and Tirana, but the rest of the country was pretty much a free-fire zone.

So, what would Albania get in a CP-victorious world? Whatever seemed convenient to the CPs, basically -- the concerns of the Albanians themselves would carry very little weight.

Doug M.