Could a stronger Mexico City earthquake force the 1986 World Cup to be cancelled?

On September 1985, Mexico City was rocked by an earthquake that destroyed a good part of the downtown core and neighbouring area. At the same time, however, Mexico was in the midst of preparing for the 1986 World Cup after Colombia backed down a couple of years prior due to economic costs imposed on it by FIFA. However, if there was more widespread damage due to a stronger earthquake, including to the two main stadia planned for use by the World Cup, could the PRI under Miguel de la Madrid have bungled things so bad that it could have forced the cancellation of the 1986 World Cup? And if so, in the 1980s who would have taken up the mantle on such short notice?

A cancellation of the 1986 World Cup was pretty much impossible, it would likely have been given to another country to be hosted there. Germany, England, Italy - these were the countries that first come to mind to host the 1986 World Cup on short notice.

Italy I think was already set to host the 90 World Cup so they would not be asked to do so in consecutive cycles, even with a smaller tournament than today. England was less than a year off of the Heysel disaster that say fans rioting and had them banned from club competition in Europe. Germany is really the only main line option.

The tournament would be hosted by the USA. The only reason it was given to Mexico rather than the US was the lack of a professional league there.

A more powerful earthquake not only would force FIFA to cancel the WC, it would surely cripple Mexico for a while.

So I place the odds for USA to host the WC too.

Asami

Banned
The tournament would be hosted by the USA. The only reason it was given to Mexico rather than the US was the lack of a professional league there.

Wasn't it because the American league didn't follow FIFA standards (and still don't) and they refused to compromise, and were therefore banned from FIFA-sponsored stuff?

Would there be any reason for the US to host it instead of, say, letting Spain run it all over again (as Spain at that point now had the experience after running it the last time, and as such all the facilities were still there)?

birdboy2000

Banned
Wasn't it because the American league didn't follow FIFA standards (and still don't) and they refused to compromise, and were therefore banned from FIFA-sponsored stuff?

The league in question went under in 1984. The current league, Major League Soccer, sprung up 12 years later and while certainly experimenting more than the ordinary soccer league is a full participant in FIFA events and has been from the start.

Then again, 1986 might be too early, and too close to the NASL's failure, for a world cup to restart pro soccer interest in the US like the '94 one did.

Then again, 1986 might be too early, and too close to the NASL's failure, for a world cup to restart pro soccer interest in the US like the '94 one did.

I agree; AFAIK soccer at this time was still largely regarded as "foreign" due to the overwhelming use of players from outside the US who would normally be in retirement elsewhere, and the few American players that there were were relegated to either the bench or the sidelines. That doesn't help the game one bit. Not only that, but the US failed to qualify for the 1986 World Cup.

I agree; AFAIK soccer at this time was still largely regarded as "foreign" due to the overwhelming use of players from outside the US who would normally be in retirement elsewhere, and the few American players that there were were relegated to either the bench or the sidelines. That doesn't help the game one bit. Not only that, but the US failed to qualify for the 1986 World Cup.

Hosts get a place so Mexico would have to sit out?

That's a point though, would Mexico keep their place?

I think that any number of european countries (perhaps even joint hosts) could stand in at fairly short notice.

The main trouble with arranging a World Cup is bribing the... I mean... Making sure FIFA doesn't pay any tax.. Legally of course. Which the Mexicans have already done. So thinking about it, it'd be like Christmas coming early for FIFA. Two huge piles of money. Lovely.

Hosts get a place so Mexico would have to sit out?

That's a point though, would Mexico keep their place?

That's what I was thinking. Of course, it would be a huge shitstorm for President Miguel de la Madrid, who at this point in OTL would already be under fire for his handling of the relief and recovery effort from the earthquake.

The main trouble with arranging a World Cup is bribing the... I mean... Making sure FIFA doesn't pay any tax.. Legally of course. Which the Mexicans have already done. So thinking about it, it'd be like Christmas coming early for FIFA. Two huge piles of money. Lovely.

Was that a thing back in the '80s?