Charles X of France dies earlier

MrHola

Banned
Charles X was a brother of Louis XVIII, and also Louis XVI. He was a reactionary through and through, leading the Ultra-Royalists from 1814 to his crowning, and also part of the Royalist-clique pre-revolution. He wished to erase the Revolution from history, trying to recreate an absolute monarchy. He was overthrown by the haute bourgeoisie, who all in all, were quite tired of all the nonsense Charles had put them through. Thus the Restoration came to an end, and the July Monarchy (1830-1848) began.

My What-if is, quite obviously: What if the Restoration wasn't toppled? Say Charles X dies early (say, February 1830) and is succeeded by a more moderate successor. Can the Restoration last? What sort of impact will it have upon European politics, more specifically, the Belgian Revolt?

His successor was Louis, Duke of Angoulême and he shared the same views as his father. He is an émigré, a reactionnary and the one who led the expedition in Spain in order to help Ferdinand VII. So the restoration wouldn't last long unfortunately.

I concur- that whole side of the family was reactionary as hell.
So fortunately, the restoration still won't last too long. It's unlikely that you have much of a chance for an earlier Second Republic, given the Holy Alliance climate of Europe, but you never know....

I think the best thing you can do for keep alive the Restauration is kill the Duke of Artois (the future Charles X) instead of his younger son the Duke of Berry in 1920.
While is true who the Duke and the Duchess of Angouleme were reactionary without any doubt I think they will be more pragmatic than his father and more likely to listen to their uncle (Louis XVIII) suggestions and keep his government. If the Duke of Berry (who is without doubt the more moderate member of the family) stay alive and Clementine can give to him and France more children you will have a moderate heir with children so in the worst case instead of the end of the Restauration you will have Louis XIX abdicate and Charles X (another Charles X) as king and legittimate heir of the main line...

The best solution in any case is keep alive the Duke of Berry

(snip)
The best solution in any case is keep alive the Duke of Berry

Whilst I agree that the Duc of Berry was more moderate, actually keeping him alive probably harms the Royalist cause more than him dying. His assassination, and then the discovery of his "miracle" posthumous baby (they were unaware at the time of death that his wife was pregnant) actually caused a wave of sympathy which was the last bit of mass support for the Bourbons. That they failed to turn this to political advantage was a major mistake.

I think the OP's best hope is for a change of heart on Louis Philippe's side. Charles originally wanted him to be the child's regent when he abdicated, but L-P simply swept this aside to be King himself. Either have him show a little more dynastic loyalty or kill him off earlier (1791-2 in the wars or purged in the Terror) and you remove the nail in the Bourbon coffin.