Carpenter's Hammer: When Karen went Punk. A Hensonverse TLIAW

Chpt I: We've Only Just Begun
[Fade In]

Haunting orchestral music plays faintly over a field of black. One by one video clips fly onto the screen, take precedence up front, then fall into the background, each sequentially taking a random spot on the screen, top, bottom, left, or right, stretched out towards the back, slowly filling it in like patchwork.

Clip: Karen Carpenter singing the opening to “We’ve Only Just Begun”

Clip: Karen wailing on drums

Clip: News announcer saying “The young brother-sister team has taken the nation by storm…”

Clip: Karen, looking emaciated, singing “Close to You”.

Clip: Richard Carpenter playing the piano. Dan Rather (voiceover) saying, “Tragedy in a Las Vegas hotel room as…”

Clip: Karen in an interview, “I felt lost, hopeless, an ugly pig…”

Clip: Prince saying, “I told her she is beautiful…”

Clip: Karen, hair short, singing Alice Cooper’s “No More Li’l Miss Nice Girl [Mr. Nice Guy]”

Clip: Kurt Loder saying, “It’s a bold new direction for her, but will audiences accept it?

Clip: Man on street: “Sure, she rocked it, but come on, it’s the chick who sang ‘Muskrat Love,’ right?”

Clip: VCR footage of a dark basement club. Debbie Harry screams into the microphone while Karen hammers on the drums behind her

Clip: Kurt Loder saying “Hari Kari’s new single…has dominated the emerging NuPunk scene…”

Clip: News Announcer saying “…rumors persist that the drummer for the Debbie Harry fronted underground sensation may in fact be…

Clip: Debbie Harry in an interview saying, “She’s my bad-ass bitch, you know?”

Clip: Karen, hair short, face fuller, in an interview, saying, “Fame is bullcrap, no matter how it comes to you”

Clip: Footage of Karen Carpenter. A male Narrator saying, “She was at the top of her newfound fame…”

Clip: Jon Stewart saying, “Kari where-y?”

Clip: VCR footage of Karen drumming in a jazz band.

Clip: Deborah Harry saying to the media, “Let the woman do her thing, you fucking jackals!”

Clip: Kurt Loder saying “…promoting the so-called ‘Riot Grrl’ sound…”

Clip: Bikini Kill doing a semi-ironic thrash cover of “Close to You”

Clip: News Announcer saying “a Hari Kari reunion tour was announced for…”

Clip: Dan Rather saying “Is the future of punk female?”

Clip: Tobi Vail saying “She’s a fucking goddess and an inspiration”

The clips align along the four sides, their sounds mixing into a cacophony, until the screen is full, giving the appearance of a long, rectangular tunnel stretching into the distance.

Deep, foreboding electric guitar music plays as the title cards superimpose, one after another, over it all.

Title Cards (in succession):

Rolling Stone Presents:

Long Plastic Hallway

Carpenter’s Hammer: When Karen Went Punk

Narrated by Jude Barsi

[Fade to…]

1713699079437.png

February 1975 Playboy Magazine cover (Image from E-Bay)

A copy of the February 1975 issue of Playboy Magazine lays on a table. A soft instrumental cover of “We’ve Only Just Begun” plays.

Narrator: In February of 1975, Playboy Magazine printed the results of their reader poll of the best drummers in popular music. Such subjective polls are almost inevitably the source of disagreement and even controversy, and this one was no exception. And yet it wasn’t the number one and two slots that caused the biggest uproar. Buddy Rich and Carl Palmer, for what it’s worth. It was who were in the numbers ten and eleven slots.

A feminine hand with black nail polish reaches down and flips the magazine to a marked page, showing the poll results. The camera zooms in and a finger points out the names as she describes them.

Narrator: Just missing the top ten at 11th place was the legendary Led Zepplin stickman John “Bonzo” Bonham. Just above him, rounding out the top ten, was Karen Carpenter.

img_9755.jpg

Poll Results (Image: Playboy; scanned and posted by Tori Holub)

Opposed footage plays of John Bonham and Karen Carpenter on drums.

Narrator: For modern audiences familiar with her later work, it may be hard to understand the outrage that this generated. After all, this is the woman that Debbie Harry called her “badass bitch” and who Riot Grrl icon Tobi Vail cites as a principal inspiration. Even at the time, none less than drum legend Buddy Rich, the top of that poll, expressed open admiration for her skills with the sticks. And yet this poll caused outrage among rock fans at the time. Bonham, for one, did not take it well at all, calling it “bullshit” and implying that Carpenter “wouldn’t last ten minutes” on a Zepplin set. Carpenter was much more reticent, proclaiming that she was “humbled and embarrassed” and expressed hope that Bonham wasn’t mad at her. And while the sexist attitudes of the time certainly played their part in this gut reaction in the fandom, it’s worth remembering that in 1975 Karen Carpenter was best known as the Queen of Easy Listening, a singer with a dulcet and melodious voice whose slow, chart-topping pop singles with her brother Richard in The Carpenters lit up many an elevator or dentist’s lobby in the 1970s.

Clip: The Carpenters performing “We’ve Only Just Begun”

Clip volume drops for Narrator voiceover.

Narrator: Notably not present in many of these performances were moments with Karen behind the drums.

[Clip Ends]

Still publicity image of Karen and Richard from the late 1970s, looking sweet and innocent.

Narrator: Karen Carpenter in the 1970s was America’s Sweetheart, the innocent, demure Girl Next Door. Soft spoken, melodious of voice, polite and shy, she openly expressed a desire for domesticity, motherhood, and married life out of step with the second wave feminism of the era. She was an innocuous presence shorn of attitude or power, non-threatening to traditional values. She was, in a word, Safe.

[Cut To…]

Still image of Karen and Debbie Harry from the mid-1980s, looking dangerous and badass.

Narrator: So how did Karen Carpenter, Queen of Easy Listening, become Kari Carr, punk sensation and living legend? It’s a tale of hard work, success, tragedy, rebirth, adversity, disappointment, and triumph anew. This is Long Plastic Hallway.

[Cut To…]

Opening graphics for Long Plastic Hallway[1] play (a liminal CG journey down a plastic hallway full of pimps, thieves, and predatory-looking executives) as the Carpenters version of “We’ve Only Just Begun” continues playing (“Sharing horizons that are new to us/Watchin' the signs along the way”), ending in Title Card.

Title Card:

Long Plastic Hallway

(“Together!”)

So welcome again to the Hensonverse, this time with a crazy little idea that the Mrs. and I came up with while on a long drive. It’s our first collaboration beyond singular posts. It began as such things do as a crazy passing thought that latched on and wouldn’t let go: Karen Carpenter, the Icon of Easy Listening, going hard core punk.

Why Karen Carpenter? Why not? You got a fuckin’ problem?

As those of you who have followed me know all too well, I love irony, and the idea of Karen Carpenter, the perpetual “nice girl with the sweet voice and easy sound,” becoming a Punk icon was too weird to pass up. The challenge (our own personal AHC) was making it plausible. Come with us on this week’s journey and see if we pulled it off. And if not, hey, enjoy the crash!

That said, this is not a joke timeline. My wife and I deeply and profoundly respect The Carpenters for their talent and their contributions to art. Karen was an incredible drummer, and incredible singer, and incredibly able to do both at once. This timeline is intended to honor her, her brother and bandmates, and their legacy, as well as the legacy of Punk music and the often overlooked, or at least minimalized, contributions of women to the genre and culture and attitude.

For those not familiar with her, Karen Carpenter was a tragic figure, an incredibly talented musician, virtuoso with both her iconic voice and on her true passion: percussion. Karen was a “natural” with the drums, all the more talented in being able to drum and sing at the same time, which is a rarer talent than one would think when you understand the level of motor compartmentalization required. As noted above, drumming legend Buddy Rich himself was an open admirer of her drumming skills. Was she better than Bonzo? Make up your own mind. Here’s some footage of her at the drums. There’s plenty more on the web just a search away:

Despite her percussive talents, however, the studio system pushed her to the front of the band, as we shall see tomorrow. There has been much discussion on the web in recent years about Karen’s ability as a drummer and the controversial poll, much of it driven by half-information (she and Bonham came in 10th and 11th, not 1st and 2nd as is often reported, and no, she never “schooled” him in a drum-off; she was far too modest and self-effacing for such things at the time). Much of this newfound interest in her drumming skill reflects the changes in cultural attitudes, particularly towards women in music. It has certainly led to a resurgence of interest in The Carpenters, a group synonymous in our day with the dull, saccharine, toothless easy listening “elevator music” that oozed via Muzak in every store and lobby in the ‘70s and ‘80s. The Carpenters were, when we were kids, about as far from Cool as possible, and essentially as far from Punk as one can get musically and culturally.

In our timeline Karen Carpenter tragically passed away in 1982 from complications related to anorexia nervosa, the result of a long battle with body image leading to the ultimately fatal eating disorder. Here…something else happens. It will play out over the course of this week.

Yes, this is Hensonverse Canon. No, you don’t need to have read the Hensonverse to read this TLIAW, so new readers, enjoy! I’ll footnote anything that you need to know. I don’t recall offhand if Karen Carpenter ever appeared in the main Timeline. She briefly came up in discussions, if I recall, but never broke into the Canon. If someone can point me to anything Canon regarding her, let me know and I’ll blatantly retcon it, because, fuck it, this is fun.

So (say it with me, regulars) “Stay Tuned” on our wild journey this week.

After all, we’ve only just begun!

[1] The name is a reference to a quote from Hunter S. Thompson: “The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

I somehow knew Judith Barsi would be involved when you hinted at this. The fact that she's the in-universe narrator is amazing.

But seriously, considering the stuff in the Hensonverse proper that started as jokes and conversations, this would fit right into that.

OMG!!!!!
Great to see you again and so lucking forward to seeing where this goes.
The hesonverse was a big part of the backdrop to some of the most important years of my life so I am always happy to return, Especially with you In the drivers site for a quick little trip:)

Cool!! I'm going to keep an eye on this. As a female musician (symphonic music played on brass instruments through my sophomore year of college, and guitar playing [over 45 years, including stints as a lead guitar player and lead vocalist in heavy rock bands - I still get my band fix in my middle age playing guitar in a church band {sorry, I won't play in an oldies band!}]), I eat this type of subject matter up. I knew Karen Carpenter had some musical chops above and beyond singing, but I didn't know just how extensive they were (hey! people who play musical instruments, occasionally suffer from tunnel vision about players of other musical instruments).

Last edited:
We are so back.

I haven't heard of her so perhaps this timeline will show us her unique talents and what she can do in a different setting and a different life.

We are so f***ing back, you guys - Will be following this with deep interest!
This is awesome.
I'm down!
You have my attention.
Oh wow! Will watching this thread with great interest! Looking forward to the next chapter!
Fuck yeah, this is gonna be awesome!
Thanks, all, and glad to have you all back! Hope you enjoy it.

OMG!!!!!
Great to see you again and so lucking forward to seeing where this goes.
The hesonverse was a big part of the backdrop to some of the most important years of my life so I am always happy to return, Especially with you In the drivers site for a quick little trip:)
Welcome back and hope it lives up to the prior stuff for you. And just like on the drive where we had the idea, Mrs. Khan is driving with me here. Many of the twists and turns come from her.

I somehow knew Judith Barsi would be involved when you hinted at this. The fact that she's the in-universe narrator is amazing.
She's a natural extension here for sure. Only narrator I even considered for this.

But seriously, considering the stuff in the Hensonverse proper that started as jokes and conversations, this would fit right into that.
Pretty much. It's amazing how many great works of art (and hack TLs like mine) began as "wouldn't it be crazy if..."

We are so back.

I haven't heard of her so perhaps this timeline will show us her unique talents and what she can do in a different setting and a different life.
You'll learn quite a bit and see quite a bit about her. She was an amazing musician. Another one lost too early.

Cool!! I'm going to keep an eye on this. As a female musician (symphonic music played on brass instruments through my sophomore year of college, and guitar playing [over 45 years, including stints as a lead guitar player and lead vocalist in heavy rock bands - I still get my band fix in my middle age playing guitar in a church band {sorry, I won't play in an oldies band!}]), I eat this type of subject matter up. I knew Karen Carpenter had some musical chops above and beyond singing, but I didn't know just how extensive they were (hey! people who play musical instruments, occasionally suffer from tunnel vision about players of other musical instruments).
Welcome aboard! There will definitely be plenty of hard-rockin' women in this TL, so I hope you and others find some things to relate to and I'm interested in your feedback/perspective here. Karen is definitely known almost exclusively for her one-of-a-kind voice, but her drum chops were top notch (I mean, when Buddy F'in Rich sings your praises...) and she also did Bass on a few early tracks. I didn't fully know the extent of her talents until recently myself.

----

Tomorrow AM (EDT) I post Chapter 2. It will mostly cover OTL, but give you all some critical background for the ATL to follow.

So Tune in Tomorrow! 📺

Same Brat Time, Same Brat Channel...

Jude and Karen are gonna meet at some point. There's no way they wouldn't have, especially with Jude's love of punk culture.

Chpt II: Top of the World
Blank screen. The Beach Boys’ “California Girls” plays.

Title Card:

A Wealth of Talent

Montage of pictures of the Carpenter Siblings growing up interlaced with images and video clips from Connecticut in the 1950s and Southern California in the 1960s.

Narrator: Karen Anne Carpenter was born near New Haven, Connecticut, on the 2nd of March, 1950, to Agnes Reuwer and Harold Bertram Carpenter. Three years junior to her brother Richard, her first words were recorded as “bye bye” and “stop it”, the latter reportedly said to Richard, presaging their often-complicated relationship. Both siblings showed a talent towards music, with Richard learning piano and Karen taking Tap and Ballet, but also showing a sporty side, playing baseball and softball. Encouraged to pursue his musical studies, Richard spent many a summer day playing the piano while Karen swung a bat outside.

The_Carpenters_as_kids_800x800.jpg

Richard and Karen as children (Image: Freedrum)

Narrator: In 1963 when she was 13, the family moved to a suburb of Los Angeles, where her adolescence would play out in the California sun. Beginning High School a year early at age 14, Karen initially joined the Marching Band to get out of gym class. It was here that Karen was introduced to percussion. She was handed the glockenspiel…which she despised.

Clip: 1976 Carpenters TV Special. Karen is reenacting the Marching Band with guest star John Denver. She carries a glockenspiel. He carries a bass drum.

Karen: Boy, this is a rotten instrument! It’s hard to carry. Nobody can hear it. It smells bad. It’s got a dumb name, even. Glockenspiel!

[Clip Ends]

Photos from their high school years play across the screen.

Narrator: Friend and classmate Frankie Chavez, who idolized Buddy Rich and had played drums for a long time, introduced her to jazz drums. It was love at first sight. For the drums. Sorry Frankie! As she said in one interview “I picked up a pair of sticks, and it was the most natural-feeling thing I’ve ever done.” Immediately begging her parents to buy her a Ludwig kit, Karen dove into the drums with a singular obsession. Entirely self-taught at first, Karen grew to idolize Ringo Starr and Joe Morello and was soon playing even their most complicated beats, sets, and time signatures, including Morello’s 5/4 and 9/8 time. Wanting to learn more, she soon formally studied under jazz drummer Bill Douglass, gaining professional precision on top of her foundation of natural and self-taught talent. After High School, she and Richard attended Long Beach State, where she studied Music, not only expanding her talents as a drummer, but taking voice lessons until she developed her iconic three-octave contralto, soon demonstrating her seamless ability to drum and sing simultaneously. Naturally, between her talent on the drums and voice and Richard’s talents on the piano and as a songwriter, they would form a band.

fc0e107b014ca5b4aeac79f539a2517e.jpg

Karen in the Marching Band (Image: Marcy Rutland on Pintrest)

Narrator: After several attempts at starting bands, both together and apart, Karen and Richard were discovered by Joe Osborn of the Wrecking Crew session musician collective. Impressed with both Karen’s drumming and her unique voice, he encouraged them to go further. Forming the band The Dick Carpenter Trio in 1967, Karen and Richard would eventually get a coveted slot on Your All American College Show in 1968, where Karen impressed with her drum licks and voice alike on a cover of “Dancing in the Street.”

Clip: The Carpenters performing “Dancing in the Street” on Your All American College Show in 1968

[Clip Fades to…]

Clip: News announcer saying “The young brother-sister team that has taken the nation by storm is coming to Miami. Karen and Richard Carpenter, the talented duo behind The Carpenters, will play this summer at…”

Title Card:

Top of the World

[Clip fades out]

Footage and stills of The Carpenters playing music, sitting at interviews, or collecting Grammy statuettes.

Narrator: Rebranded as The Carpenters, they signed a record deal with A&M Records and from there they exploded onto the scene, reaching number 54 on the Billboard Top 100 for their cover of The Beatles’ “Ticket to Ride”. Their next album, 1970’s Close to You, featured the hit singles “Close to You” and “We've Only Just Begun,” which respectively hit numbers one and number two on the Billboard 100. Hit followed hit throughout the 1970s, with many a Grammy or other statuette taken home. Not only did her melodious contralto voice set the tone for the music, but her virtuoso drumming pulled it all together, and she still thought of herself as “a drummer who sings”.

200px-Carpenters_1974.jpg

The Carpenters in 1974 (Image: Wikipedia)

Narrator: But as their fame grew, producers and critics began to complain that the band lacked a clear focal point or “front”. And Karen, at five-foot-four, vanished behind the drum kit even as she was clearly the lead vocalist. Taking these criticisms to heart, Richard and Manager Sherwin Bash pushed the shy and self-effacing Karen to abandon her beloved drums for a position up front at the microphone, leaving the drums to others. Audiences and critics responded favorably, and now Karen Carpenter was the front woman for one of the most popular bands in the world. Karen had found fame and wealth, but in doing so had set aside her chief musical passion.

Clip: The Carpenters performing “On Top of the World” on The Bob Hope Show in 1973

[Clip Ends]

Montage of footage of The Carpenters playing music, appearing on TV shows, or at awards shows. “Top of the World” plays on.

Narrator: Yet fame, as it so often does, came with a dark side. While she’d occasionally get to remind the world of her talents behind the drums, such as on their 1976 TV Special, she was increasingly a vocalist who occasionally played the drums. Even drumming for studio albums was taken from her, as the production team wanted to prevent the drum and vocal tracks from bleeding into each other. Set drummers stepped in. As she left behind the drums and focused on the vocals, the passion began to wain and performing became a job. She not only gave up her drums, but even had to increasingly set aside her upper vocal range in favor of the lower sounds that audiences best responded too, saying, ironically of this, that “The money’s in the basement.”

Footage of a joyous Karen wailing on the drums in the 1976 TV Special.

Narrator: On the rare occasion when she got to play the drums publicly, such as that 1976 special, a small bit of that spark would reappear. But increasingly, the stresses and responsibilities of fame began to build up for both Karen and her brother Richard.

Footage of The Carpenters into the late 1970s. Karen appears increasingly thin and withdrawn, her once sweet smile increasingly painted on.

Narrator: Richard developed an addiction to quaaludes as a way to deal with the stresses, an addiction that increasingly began to interfere with his life and even career. In 1979 he fell down the stairs in a near catatonic state. He checked into rehab in January of 1979, and came out seemingly a new man. For Karen, however, an addiction of a different sort struck.

Clip: Karen in a 2002 interview with Larry King.

Karen: Now that I was the Front Woman, my appearance became increasingly important and I was under a lot of pressure to stay thin.

Larry: The beauty standards of the 1970s focused on the very thin. Like Twiggy.

Karen: Yeah, and I internalized it a lot. I developed an unhealthy body image. I’d look in the mirror and even at ninety pounds I’d just see a fat pig. I’d use laxatives and go on crash diets obsessively. I’d try therapy, but it never seemed to stick!

[Clip Ends]

Footage and stills of an increasingly emaciated Karen. “Top of the World” plays on, its sweetness and wistful lyrics feeling increasingly ironic (“There is only one wish on my mind/When this day is through I hope that I will find/That tomorrow will be, just the same for you and me/All I need will be mine if you are here”).

Narrator: Karen was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, a dangerous eating disorder. It’s an issue all too common among famous women where the pressure to maintain a certain body image is high. She attained thyroid medicine to increase her metabolism and abused laxatives. Her weight would sink to as low as ninety pounds. Friends, such as Dionne Warwick and Olivia Newton-John, staged interventions. Cherry Boone, who’d suffered from anorexia, recommended a doctor [1], but his method took too long for her busy schedule, so she sought “quick fixes.”

Karen-Carpenter-88869.jpg

The Horrid Effects of Eating Disorders (Image: Daily Express US)

Narrator: But it would take a terrible tragedy to finally break the cycle. A tragedy that would upend more than her life and career, but shake her to her very soul.

[1] Eating Disorders are a serious medical condition that costs far too many lives every year. In you or someone you know struggles with eating disorders, there is help. Please, please take care of yourself and those you love. Here’s a link to resources and options. https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-help/

Last edited:
Typical! "We want you to be the sweet young thing who sings pretty! Forget about the drumming (or playing bass, guitar. saxophone, keyboards, etc.), people just want to see girls sing!" Ugh! I always hated that boys club mentality. It made things a pain for me at times. It still exists to an extent, but at least it's not as bad as it was back in the day.

Oh, dear, so sad for Karen, that she's basically being shoved to the forefront into a position she's probably not comfortable with, rather than sticking with the drums (which she is really passionate about).

Just something to add: given how Karen's face superimposed onto Joan Jett's body basically served as the teaser picture, I'm somewhat curious as to see whether Karen and Joan will interact here, especially given that we've already seen she's rubbing elbows with Debbie Harry who Joan was good friends with.

Can I say I love the symmetry of having Jude narrate this? The first person really "saved" in this TL getting to tell the story of (considering Ms. Carpenter is alive as of 2002 ITTL) the latest person saved is just magnificent.

Also, Karen Carpenter's OTL death was fucking tragic - she deserved better IMHO.