British Motor Industry plausibility check

Inspired by the following threads . . . . and also a sprinkling of inspiration and help from Dan1988

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/british-leyland-insanity-options-1968-86.551159/

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/british-leyland-survives-and-thrives.504942/

Here’s an ATL timeline regarding the UK’s motor industry?

General Motors
of Britain was created after GM purchased Austin Motor Company.

In what The Times headline called “Motor Mania”, General Motors purchase of Austin creates a cascade effect regarding other manufacturers.

Chrysler of Britain was created when Chrysler purchased the entire Nuffield Organisation excluding The Pressed Steel Company of Great Britain Ltd. This gives them ownership of the Morris & MG marques. They also buy the Riley Motor Company so to market upmarket versions of their Morris brand.

Rootes Group was created as a reaction to the Big Three American manufacturers buying up British motor companies. First they buy Hillman, then quickly buy up the Commer, Humber, Karrier, Singer, Sunbeam and Talbot marques.

British Motor Corporation was created as a reaction to the Big Three American manufacturers buying up British motor companies when Leyland Motors purchased Standard Triumph and Swallow Sidecars (latter called Jaguar)

Ford of Britain is formally created with the building of an assembly plant at Dagenham

General Motors
via it’s Austin Motors Division out bids their rival Chrysler and buys the bankrupt Wolseley Motor Company for use for it’s Austin Cars premium division.

General Motors of Germany
is created when GM buys 80% of German manufacturer Opel

General Motors actions again set off a cascade effect.

Ford of Germany was created with a assembly plant built in Cologne as a consequence of GM buying out Opel

Chrysler of Germany was created when Chrysler purchased the Borgward company and Lloyd marque. Lloyd is used on Morris models produced while Borgward is used to market its premium Riley based models respectively. Hansa & Goliath are left to themselves.

Rootes of Germany was created when Rootes Group, seeing the need to expand into Europe and other markets to survive, purchased the German motor companies Wanderer & Horsch..

The British Motor Corporation of Germany was created when DKW and Hansa made Standard-triumph models for the German & European market.

Chrysler of Britain
buys the Rover Motor Company and adds the marque to its portfolio to act as its premium car division.

Rootes Group purchased GUY Motors then merged it with its Sunbeam Commercial Motors Division and Karrier divisions.These vehicles would also be built in Europe at their German assembly plants.

British Motor Corporation
purchased AEC Commercial Vehicles. These vehicles would also be built at BMC’s German plants for the European market.

purchased Scammell Motor. These vehicles would also be built at BMC’s German plants for the European market.

at the request of its Jaguar division, Daimler from the ailing BSA company. Daimler Commercial vehicles division would be merged with BMC’s Scammell Division.

Ford of Europe
is created with the merger of Ford of Britain & Ford Germany. Its design teams are now centered in Germany. All future models would be primarily designed in Germany with input from the UK.

Taking their lead from Ford, GM, Chrysler, Rootes and BMC all do likewise and reorganize their corporate structures by merging their British & German operations.

Well over to you guys.

How plausible is this scenario?
Would it work?
How would the Jaguar & Rover marques fare without the financial constraints of being a part British Leyland in OTL, would this allow them to be on par with Audi, BMW & MB globally?
Would this allow Rootes Group to survive past the 1970’s or would it still go through bankruptcy and possible liquidation?
Would Chrysler's financial woes in the USA affect its European operations as in OTL?

Last edited:

General Motors
of Britain was created after GM purchased Austin Motor Company.
Wow, started with a very strong "what if" right there and quite the ballsy move by GM.
British Motor Corporation was created as a reaction to the Big Three American manufacturers buying up British motor companies when Leyland Motors purchased Standard Triumph and Swallow Sidecars (latter called Jaguar)
I feel this group, more so than the Rootes group, has the biggest potential for success. (Especially if Triumph gets its motorcycle division back)

Wow, started with a very strong "what if" right there and quite the ballsy move by GM.

x'D I don't know why but I had a Jason Bateman vibe of him doing his Tony Hawke impression in 'Dodgeball' when I read that!

I feel this group, more so than the Rootes group, has the biggest potential for success. (Especially if Triumph gets its motorcycle division back)

Agreed

They seemed to be doing quite well until they got saddled with BMC and had all their finances go down the money pit black hole.

A couple of follow up questions which I've just thought of

How would the history of SIMCA motors of France go?, Would they still end up merging with Rootes Group even without the imput of Chrysler as owners?

How would Chrysler owning Rover go in regards to their Land Rover then ultimately Range Rover divisions aelling these models in the USA? How would this affect Jeep and their Cherokee models? Would their be any impetus of Chrysler to buy Jeep when it got into financial troubles ahead of AMC then possibly merge the Jeep/Land Rover models to cut costs and share platforms?

I think buying Austin in 1925 is a bit too late. Austin had gone into receivership in 1921 and Herbert Austin lost his complete control of the company. By 1925 the company had been restructured with new and updated models like the Twelve and the Seven selling fast.

The Midland bank might have been tempted to sell in 1922 with the cooperation of Dunlop and Girling who were the biggest debtors. I have no idea what GM finances were like in 1921/22 but most motor companies were still struggling with the postwar downturn.