An Affair of States: A Breckenridge Timeline (Reboot)

Part 1
Chapter 3: Absorbed

attachment.php

The cover of a Minnesota newspaper on February 17th, 1861

Growing Unrest
Since its admittance to the Union as a state, Kansas had been ravaged by a time period of bloody unrest called Bloody Kansas. The abolitionist “Jayhawkers” were engaged in constant skirmishes with pro-slavery “Border Ruffians.” Since 1856, the battles had become more and more brutal, with the Jayhawkers becoming less and less concerned about slavery and more about plunder and personal gain. On the other hand, the Border Ruffians from across the Missouri border were becoming more and more aggressive, making bolder attacks against Kansas homes, towns, and venues. The election of Breckenridge actually helped in the short term; fearing reprisals from a pro-slavery President, the Jayhawker raids ebbed for the time being. However, despite the lack of militant activity, Kansas was still a simmering pot ready to boil. All the Jayhawkers needed was a spark. By February 1861, Jayhawkers had begun stockpiling munitions in secret holding pits beneath several farmhouses throughout the territory. This unrest began to spread west, to other US territories, creating a ticking tme bomb that could blow if Breckenridge made a wrong move

The Fall of the Democratic Party
Following the 1860 elections, in which the Democratic party performed pathetically (they only won nine Electoral Votes, all of which were Missouri's), large numbers of Democratic members and supporters were snapped up by the Southern Democrats or the Philadelphia Coalition. By 1861, the rank and file of the Democratic party had almost completely been gobbled up, and several of the top leadership had defected to the Southern Democratic Party. On the seventeenth of February, 1861, the Democratic Party leader, Stephen A. Douglas, sent a letter to the New York Times:

[FONT=Bradley Hand ITC, cursive]Dear Sirs,[/FONT]
[FONT=Bradley Hand ITC, cursive]Following recent losses to my Party, I fear that the Democratic Party can no longer function as a single unit. The loss of much of our members is an intolerable loss, and with a heavy heart I must declare the Democratic Party disbanded. I have guessed that this will happen since my defeat in the presidential election, that the party that has been a constant for years is now at an end.[/FONT]

[FONT=Bradley Hand ITC, cursive]But, to America, I give you this warning: These brutal political battles will tear this country apart. President-Elect Breckenridge will be the end of us-- I knew him when we were both Democrats. He is not capable of running this great nation. And I tell you now, as I retire from politics forever, I will do all in my power to oppose Breckenridge.[/FONT]
[FONT=Bradley Hand ITC, cursive]Yours,[/FONT]
[FONT=Bradley Hand ITC, cursive]Stephen Douglas[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Douglas never returned to politics after the Democratic party was disbanded, and his letter was printed in the Times. The Democrats never re-emerged after that.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Senate President Re-elected[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]De Facto Senate president Benjamin Fitzpatrick, a Democratic defector to the Southern faction, re-assumed office as Senate president on February 16th, 1861. While this did not have a large effect on the world in itself, it certainly betrayed a large shift to the right and towards proslavery policies. With a pliant Supreme Court, conservative Congress, and Southern president, the work of the abolitionists could have been for naught. They were determined not to let that happen.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]OOC: Sorry about the screwy election, but I needed to fit Breckenridge in somehow. The election itself is unimportant; the story is what matters.
[/FONT]

Right. So the Democratic Party splits. The Breckenridge Administration solidified its control, and, well, it would seem that there is more than enough votes in the north to perhaps stop the spread of slavery, but perhaps not call for outright abolition.

I would not be so shocked to see the north secede soon.

Part One
Chapter Four: From Denver to Warsaw

attachment.php

Southern newspaper on 2nd March, 1861

The Two New Territories
As his last major act of the Presidency, James Buchanan signed into law two acts of congress organizing Colorado and Nevada as territories. The two territories were organized from the greater New Mexico territory. President Buchanan has ordered several surveyors and engineer battalions into the new territories in order to scope it out for future statehoods.

wpdms_utah_territory_1861.png

A map of US territories in 1861.

The question of slavery had already taken root in Denver, and was spreading to Nevada and Utah as well. Many anti-slavery Kansans had migrated west to escape the still-active Border Ruffians. While the government had taken steps to end the violence in Kansas, much of it was halfhearted, as the government either had too much on its mind or simply didn't care. This failure to protect Kansan citizens increased the already simmering dissent levels within the Jayhawker community. Just one spark was needed to set off the powder keg.

The Warsaw Uprising
On 27 February, the Russian occupation forces fired into a crowd protesting the Russian occupation of Poland. Among the six protesters killed was American diplomat Judah P. Benjamin, sent by the president-Elect to canvass support for republicanism. This causes the US government to send small amounts of aid through European industries operating in Germany and Britain. With this support, Warsaw rose up against the Imperial Russian troops and took severa major parts of the city. By March 1st, Russian forces were trapped in a pocket on the Weichsel (?) River.

warsaw.png
A map of the Warsaw Uprising, with the rebels in green and the Russians in orange.

Casualties had reached about a thousand dead or wounded by the end of February. On March 2nd the Tsar ordered three regiments of russian troops into the city to quell the rebellion. However they were met by fierce resistance and their attack bogged down. President Buchanan made a speech to the country, that the US would remain neutral in the uprising. Nobody was told about the secret aid to the rebels.

OOC: Sorry about the crappy map, but I had to make do. Next update tomorrow.

warsaw.png

Part One
Chapter 5: The Jayhawker Uprisings
attachment.php

The cover of a Maryland newspaper, March 6th, 1861

The Inauguration of Breckenridge
On the 4th of March on the steps of the Capitol, Vice President John Breckenridge was sworn in a the new President. Interestingly, Breckenridge had to swear in his own Vice President, as he was Buchanan's VP in the previous Presidential term. Breckenridge, after swearing in his Vice President, ascended the steps of the Capitol to take the oath of office. He then gave his infamous “Peculiar Institution” speech to the crowd gathered in front of the steps.

Excerpt from Breckenridge's Inauguration Speech:
We have recently accepted Kansas into the fold of our nation, and have gained new territories mere days ago. My critics have said hat my motive is simply to expand the reach of the South's peculiar institution. They are wrong. I have no intention to force our institution upon the North. However, that does not entitle me to start spouting abolitionist lies like William Lloyd Garrison. I will not push the peculiar institution into the north, where it is not welcome, but I do believe in its right to expand where it wishes. And I will not stand in the way of the white man's god-given right to property...”

The new President never mentioned the word “slavery” in his speech once, calling it “The south's peculiar institution.” Needless to say, the speech was not taken well by abolitionists. And to the Jayhawkers, Breckenridge had just thrown a lighted match, sparking a conflagration that would swiftly set the Union ablaze.

The Jayhawker Uprisings
uprisingmap.png
A map of territories controlled by rebels by March 13th. The red areas are controlled by the Jayhawkers.

On March 5th, the simmering dissent present in Kansas and the territories exploded with the force of an atomizer bomb. The Kansas Jayhawkers, dormant since the election, suddenly seized railroad junctions, road crossings, post offices, banks, government buildings, and other important sites in the state. By the ninth, several distinct pockets of resistance had established themselves under the command of Jayhawker leader Charles R. “Doc” Jennison, a hero of the “Bleeding West” era.

250px-CharlesRJennison.jpg

Charles Jennison

By the twelfth, the rebellion had spread to the territories, as Jayhawker refugees took up arms and attacked government picket, outposts, and a fort or two. Missouri's Border Ruffians responded in kind, and the West fell into a state of civil war. The rebels cut off most of the roads in and out of California and Oregon. Within days, President Breckenridge ordered several regiments of US Army troops into Kansas to establish marshal law and quell the rebellion by stopping both sides. However, this only served to antagonize the Jayhawkers further, as they believed that Breckenridge was sending in the troops in support of the Ruffians. By the end of March, the casualties had piled up to about a thousand men, women, and children killed or wounded, 117,000 dollars of damage dealt to government property, and most of the West was in open rebellion against the Union. The end had begun.

OOC: It's on...

uprisingmap.png

*Repeated facepalms*
:confused: Those are all very good points, though.

The Electoral College in the 1860 election had 303 electoral votes, meaning a minimum of 157 to win. Giving Virginia and Tennessee to Breckenridge adds 27 to his OTL score, for a total of 99. Taking Ohio from Lincoln reduces his score by 23, for a total of 157 -- which is just enough for Lincoln to still win the presidency outright. Your POD doesn't work.

Maybe have Douglas carry more states up north, Breck carry the border states as proposed, and in a very controversial vote the House elects him.

:confused: Those are all very good points, though.

The Electoral College in the 1860 election had 303 electoral votes, meaning a minimum of 157 to win. Giving Virginia and Tennessee to Breckenridge adds 27 to his OTL score, for a total of 99. Taking Ohio from Lincoln reduces his score by 23, for a total of 157 -- which is just enough for Lincoln to still win the presidency outright. Your POD doesn't work.
I know. But the point of this thread is to figure out what would have happened if Breckenridge won. If you don't want to read this thread because of a few mistakes with the POD, I respect that. So you can read some other thread.

Maybe have Douglas carry more states up north, Breck carry the border states as proposed, and in a very controversial vote the House elects him.
This could work. Lincoln only needs to win one less state, however small, for the election to be thrown to the House. And remember that each state's delegation only gets one vote between them, so it's not a matter of a majority of representatives but a majority of states. I looked up who the representatives of the 36th Congress were here to see how the ballot might have worked out:

• Lincoln would've won 15 states (Connecticut, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont & Wisconsin)
  • Breckenridge would have another 10 guaranteed (Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas & Virginia)
  • Douglas would win another four (California, Illinois, Missouri & Oregon)
  • Bell would win one (Tennessee, assuming the Opposition Party votes for the Constitutional Union Party candidate)
  • The remaining three (Kentucky, Maryland & North Carolina) are notable for having their congressional delegations split evenly between Southern Democrats and either the Opposition Party or Know-Nothings.
So this means some deal-making is necessary, as no one gets a majority of at least 17. The Southern Democrats could persuade the Northern Democrats to unite behind Breckenridge -- an easier task than OTL, given that Breckenridge came second in the popular vote in TTL rather than third -- so that leaves Breckenridge with 14 to Lincoln's 15, with 1 for Bell and 3 as yet undecided. Given that Maryland and North Carolina's voters each voted for Breckenridge, it's not too hard to imagine them falling in line too; and with Kentucky, given that its Democratic representatives were all hard-line Southern Democrats who would never have budged and that four of the Opposition Party's five delegates were outgoing, this makes it likely that Kentucky swings to Breckenridge as well.

This makes a final tally of 17 for Breckenridge, 15 for Lincoln and 1 for Bell. Breckenridge wins!

(Now, as for the Vice-President: I count 26 Republican senators, 27 Southern Democratic senators, 11 Northern Democratic senators and 2 Know-Nothing senators. Again, if the Northern Dems fall in line behind the more successful Southern Dem ticket, this means that Joseph Lane wins the Vice-Presidency comfortably.)

I know. But the point of this thread is to figure out what would have happened if Breckenridge won. If you don't want to read this thread because of a few mistakes with the POD, I respect that. So you can read some other thread.
Then why did you bother to detail the POD in your first post in the first place? Either get it right or just don't mention the specifics.

Last edited:
Hey, what happened to this timeline? I thought it was really interesting. wiiguy said "1.5 hours" until the next update two days ago.

Hey, what happened to this timeline? I thought it was really interesting. wiiguy said "1.5 hours" until the next update two days ago.
Sorry about the late update, I was in Philadelphia and ddn't have the ytime. The newspapers also took a lot longer than I expected. This thread is NOT dead.

Sorry about the late update, but I didn't have time to write an update as I was in Philadelphia. I will fix the election soon. Apologies to ColeMecury for being a bit of a dick about his opinion. He is correct, and I will change it when I can to clear up any confusion. Can I get an opinion on the Californian crisis? Is that too ASB?
Part One
Chapter 6: Habeas Corpus

news7.png
The cover of an Iowa newspaper, April 1st, 1861.

Loss of Civil Rights
On March 31st, 1861, President Breckenridge signed an Executive order suspending the writ of habeus corpus. Anyone the government considered to be aiding the Jayhawkers was vulnerable to arrest and detainment without trial. The Supreme Court backed Breckenridge's order, overturning an appeal by the Coalition members in Congress. The first person detained under the new law was fiery abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison, having spoken out in favor of the Jayhawkers. He was placed under house arrest in New York for a month before being taken to a prison in Brooklyn. His appeal failed to make it past state court, never reaching Washington. By April 10th, about a hundred abolitionists and freemen suspected of being escaped slaves had been arrested and detained without trial, on the grounds that they were aiding the rebels. As Kansas continued burning, to placate cries of protest from the North and the Coalition party, the administration arrested several known Border Ruffians. This did little to stem the discontent, and the rebellion only became worse.

The Battle of Leavenworth
On April 3rd, 1860, about two thousand Jayhawker rebels surrounded the Federal hub of Leavenworth, Kansas. About six hundred troops under General Meiwether Lewis Clark, the descendant of famed explorer Captain Clark, were trapped in the city. For a week, there was brutal fighting in and around the city, as the Federals tried to break the ring around Leavenworth. It was to no avail. On the ninth day of the siege, Clark took a bullet to the jugular and died the next day. There were several battles nearby, most infamous of them being the massacre at Corbin, Kansas. An encampment of 300 Jayhawkers were slaughtered in their tents by a band of encroaching Border Ruffians. But by April 14th, the Federals were running out of supplies and ammunition. They surrendered at noon to the Jayhawkers and were taken at gunpoint to a prison camp on the other side of the state. A hundred men died on the way; thus this forced march was called “the Walk of Bloody Road.”

The-Battle-of-Glorieta-Pass.jpg

The Battle of Leavewnworth. Picture provided by Greater Kansas Historical Society.

Californian Crisis
Following the rising of the Jayhawkers and the suspension of Habeus Corpus, California and Oregon were cut off from the rest of the Union by rebel forces. The small US Army contingent was left to protect two enormous states from nightly raids by Jayhawkers in Nevada. Led by former governor and colonel John C. Fr[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]é[/FONT]mont, protest began to spring up concerning the US Government's inability to protect the people of California. On April 6th, a committee led by Fr[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]é[/FONT]mont drafted an ultimatum to President Breckenridge: If nothing was done about the raids, the states of California and Oregon would declare their independence from the Union. The letter took a month to arrive thank to the kansan revolts and by then, it was already too late.

news7.png