An Affair of States: A Breckenridge Timeline (Reboot)

An Affair of States
A Breckenridge Victory Timeline
By Wiiguy
attachment.php

The cover of a Missouri newspaper on November 7th, 1860.

Part One: Iron
Chapter One: 1860 Elections
Prologue
Many prominent historians speculate about what would have happened if Abraham Lincoln or John Bell had managed to claw their way to the top in 1860. In fact, prominent alternate history writer Harry Turtledove wrote an amazing series of books, detailing Abraham Lincoln's election, the subsequent splintering of the North and South, and a brutal Civil War that followed. The University of Greater Kansas has created a history of the North American continent, starting from a major divergence point that has fascinated historians and alt-historians alike for decades: the 1860 Presidential elections.

The Election of Breckenridge
To the recently-founded Southern Democrats, Republican candidate Abraham Lincoln seemed a weakling, but one who had a distinct advantage: the divisions between the hard-line, pro-slavery Southern Democrats and the more moderate, liberal Northern Democrats. This split caused a weakening of the Democratic power base, allowing Lincoln to pull into first place, with bell at a second place. However, Breckenridge made a choice: to pursue votes in Virginia and Tennessee instead of his original planned campaign closer to home. This won him just enough electoral college votes to plac himself at a close first to Lincoln.

moddedmap.png
A map of the 1860 elections by electoral vote.

While Lincoln undoubtedly swept the Northern states as well as California and Oregon, Breckenridge managed to keep the states he had taken from Bell and the Constitutional Union Party long emough to win the White House. His victory in Delaware and Maryland were both partly credited to incumbent President James Buchanan, who had been supporting Breckenridge's campaign. This is not at all surprising, considering that Breckenridge was the incumbent Vice President at the time.

james-buchanan.jpg

Incumbent James Buchanan. Buchanan was a major supporter of Breckenridge's campaign. With less of his help, many people think that Breckenridge would have lost Delaware and Maryland.

On Election Day in November 1860, the quadrennial election cycle was completed for the 16th time. The Electoral College's votes were counted, and Breckenridge was declared winner by a tiny margin. When the news arrived, Abraham Lincoln was reported to have simply shaken his head and proclaimed, "A house divided cannot stand," probably a reference to the major splits occurring within the former Whig and Democrat parties, as well as the cultural and political seam widening over the Mason-Dixon line. Breckenridge's administration did nothing to bridge the gap; When events such as the Jayhawker Uprisings or the Californian Crisis came about, opportunities for reconciliation were lost in Breckenridge's two terms. The Union's days were numbered.

moddedmap.png

Last edited:
Holy Shit. :eek::eek:Amazing.

View attachment 155812
A map of the 1860 elections by electoral vote.

...Um, (going by the map) my ACW history may not be perfect, but how exactly does Virginia and Tennessee gain Breckenridge a victory over Lincoln. Lincoln won 180 electoral votes, which was the entire north, and even with Virginia and Tennessee that still gives Breckenridge 97, still not enough, even with the popular votes which would just put him over a million.

Unless the New England votes there do not count for Lincoln.

Holy Shit. :eek::eek:Amazing.

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

...Um, (going by the map) my ACW history may not be perfect, but how exactly does Virginia and Tennessee gain Breckenridge a victory over Lincoln. Lincoln won 180 electoral votes, which was the entire north, and even with Virginia and Tennessee that still gives Breckenridge 97, still not enough, even with the popular votes which would just put him over a million.
Oops. That was a graphical mistake; on the map, Bell was meant to get Ohio to split Lincoln's vote ITTL; I simply forgot to do it. I need to read the Id10t manual more often...:eek:
And by the way, should I take your "Holy shit.:eek::eek: Amazing" statement as a compliment?

Please do. I only meant. WOW!. I am going to be watching with rapt interest. I mean, wow.

Don't actually think i have come across this option before
Thank you.:D
I will try to post an update daily, but with school and sports (I'm a fencer), things may progress a litle bit slowly.

Should've given Breckinridge Orgeon too. He nearly carried it OTL oddly enough.

Still, interesting to see where this might go. Does this prevent the Civil War or put it off for four years?

Ah, the worst of the presidential candidates that might have won gets his own TL. I will be following the dark days to follow...
Hoo, boy. Does he ever fuck things up.
But California and Oregan were anti-slave. So how does that work. He might carry Oregan, but i doubt he could carry california.

breckinridges vp was a an oregon senator and former governor. he also was a pro slavery westerner
You'll see why I gave Lincoln Oregon.

Part One
Chapter Two: Pride, Prejudice, and Philadelphia

attachment.php

The cover of a Maryland newspaper published on 4 December 1860, following Breckenridge's cabinet announcement.

The New Cabinet
With the election over, Breckenridge began focusing on refining his image to Northerners. The main way he did it was through his cabinet choices. Several of his cabinet were from above the Mason-Dixon line, notably Secretary of State Samuel Dickinson, a rarity: a Southern Democrat from New York. During the election, Dickinson ran for the Southern Democratic ticket in opposition to Breckenridge. Despite handily smashing Dickinson in the primaries, Breckenridge immediately took him on as Secy of State after he won the election. While the cabinet was dominated by Southern Democrats, a pair of outriders were invited into the President-Elect's office. For instance, Secretary of the Treasury James Guthrie of Kentucky was offered the job, despite his status as a Northern Democrat. Even more unusual was the invitation of Edward Bates of Missouri to become Secy of Commerce. The unusual thing was, Bates was a Republican. Breckenridge may have been trying to patch up the split between North and South, but many saw this as simply either a joke or an attempt to curry favor.

List of prominent Cabinet Members of the Breckenridge administration:
-Vice President Joseph Lane
-Secretary of State Daniel Dickinson
-Secretary of Treasury James Guthrie
-Secretary of Commerce Edward Bates
-Secretary of War Jefferson Davis
-Secretary of the Interior Lewis Cass

The Philadelphia Conference
Following their loss in the elections, the Republicans convened in New York to consilidate their efforts. Coming along were several high-ranking members of the Constitutional Union Party, including former Presidential candidate John Bell. The leadership of the two parties came to an agreement-- That feuds between liberal parties were less important than taking back the White House from Breckenridge in 1864. Both parties agreed to a temporary “Coalition” party to strengthen the opposition against Breckenridge and, currently, Buchanan. Despite dissenting cries from more radical Republicans like William H. Seward, the issue of slavery was to be phased out by the Coalition Party leadership. On March 3rd, the formation of the Coalition Party was officially announced.

OOC: Not my best update, but barely awake...

Oops. That was a graphical mistake; on the map, Bell was meant to get Ohio to split Lincoln's vote ITTL; I simply forgot to do it.

In OTL, Lincoln got 221,809 votes. Bell got 12, 193. The only person with a chance of taking Ohio from Lincoln is Douglas, not Bell.

And loss of Ohio means Lincoln has 157 electoral votes to Breckinridge's 99 and still wins.

And loss of Ohio means Lincoln has 157 electoral votes to Breckinridge's 99 and still wins.

Stop throwing logic into the fray, I wish to see America die. :D

I just want to point out Oregon was abolitionist in the sense they didn't like black people, in fact blacks were outlawed from even being in the state.

But Logic is awesome.
But yes, i do want to see how a Breckenridge Presidency would be like, and that is all that matters. Especially the aftermath.

I just want to point out Oregon was abolitionist in the sense they didn't like black people, in fact blacks were outlawed from even being in the state.

:eek::eek:YOU'RE KIDDING?:eek::eek:

Yeah, i just wanted to say that, even though your not. I am incredibly amazed by that.

That's part of the story.

In OTL, Lincoln got 221,809 votes. Bell got 12, 193. The only person with a chance of taking Ohio from Lincoln is Douglas, not Bell.

*Repeated facepalms*