Alternate Election of 1844

Been doing some reading on some of the past presidential elections, and one that struck me that could have gone different was 1844.

Polk narrowly defeated Clay in the election in which the primary issue was the annexation of Texas. Polk was pro-annexation, and Clay was against it. If Clay was elected, how long would the Texan annexation be put off? What effect would it have on the slavery issue as the Southern states start to run out of expansion room? For that matter, tensions were at a boiling point between the Texan Republic and Mexico for awhile. Would things boil over, or would Britain manage to keep the peace?

But going even deeper than that, incumbent president John Tyler had plans to seek re-election. A fromer Democratic-Republican, he was Whig President William Henry Harrison's running mate, and was sworn as president when Harrison died.

Though his policies quickly alienated the Whig party and he was formally expelled in 1841. Former President Martin Van Buren was the favorite for the Democratic nomination though was staunchly against the annexation of Texas. Had he recieved the nomination, would that elevate Tyler's chances of re-election? Or just ensure Clay's victory?

All kinds of possibilities with a different outcome of this election. For that matter, Van Buren and Clay seem the types to let Britain have the Oregon territory, or at the very least would leave it to the dual party arrangement.

Basically, what we have here is a failed former President, a four time loser, and a joke running for President. Not a very good selection, but I guess Clay would have to be the winner. My guess is he would end up annexing Texas, or he's not going to get re-elected and the next President will, it's what the people wanted. As for Oregon...Clay was always a compromiser, and if he didn't want to go to war with Mexico over Texas I sure can't see him risk going to war with Britain over Oregon.