ALTERNATE CORONATIONS

If Westminster Abbey were out of commission for a prolonged period (possibly due to a Notre Dame-esque fire) where might a British monarch arrange to be crowned?

So far as I can tell, the only British monarch to be crowned away from Westminster Abbey following the Union of the Crowns was His Late Majesty King Charles II (Who was crowned King of Scotland at the Palace of Scone in AD 1651, though he also went through a Westminster Abbey coronation in AD 1661): this was, it must be noted, during the Commonwealth period following the execution of Charles I - not the safest time for monarchy in England or almost anywhere else in the British Isles.

St Pauls probably would not be used as it is the City's church, possibly Winchester as the capital of Wessex or Canterbury, but I would expect for political reasons a northern church to be picked - York comes to mind

wwbgdiaslt

Gone Fishin'
I would suspect either Gloucester or York, but wonder if a double Coronation would be held - at St George's Chapel, and then later at Westminster.

I would suspect either Gloucester or York, but wonder if a double Coronation would be held - at St George's Chapel, and then later at Westminster.

Would they are willingful throw even more millions pounds to two coronations for same monarch? And I don't see any reason for that. It is that ceremony what is relevant not a place altough WA has been used already since days of William the Conqueror.

wwbgdiaslt

Gone Fishin'
Would they are willingful throw even more millions pounds to two coronations for same monarch? And I don't see any reason for that. It is that ceremony what is relevant not a place altough WA has been used already since days of William the Conqueror.

They did it for Elizabeth II's funeral. The State Funeral at Westminster and then the private funeral at St George's. And given its at the Chapel on the grounds of Windsor, would cost much less, so not exactly double the budget.

St Pauls probably would not be used as it is the City's church, possibly Winchester as the capital of Wessex or Canterbury, but I would expect for political reasons a northern church to be picked - York comes to mind
I believe they'd still want the Coronation in London and St Paul's is used for most other state occasions including Royal Weddings and Funerals. I suppose if they don't want to use St Pauls they could use Westminster Hall or even Southwark Cathedral.

Last edited:
They did it for Elizabeth II's funeral. The State Funeral at Westminster and then the private funeral at St George's. And given its at the Chapel on the grounds of Windsor, would cost much less, so not exactly double the budget.

Fine but still why there would be two coronations? Surely one would be completely fine. I don't know what was idea behind EII's double funeral beside that she was buried to lands of Windsor.

I know this isn't the point of this thread but when I first saw the thread title I thought of Edward VIII about to give the Coronation Oath shaking his head, shouting "Stuff this for a game of soldiers" and running out of the Abby leaving chaos in his wake.

Nick P

Donor
One of the purposes of a Coronation is to show off the new King or Queen to the public, with soldiers on parade and marching bands etc.
I suppose it has to be a religious location (and a Protestant one at that!) given all the blessings and prayers I watched yesterday.

The various Royal Peculiars aka royal churches are very small. Good for a very stripped down low cost event but not on the scale of yesterday. St Georges Chapel at Windsor followed by a drive to Buckingham Palace for the balcony and parades is most likely.

York Minster has the historical connections and internal capacity but it's in a very cramped city environment.

Salisbury Cathedral is surrounded by large fields so is easily secured and has plenty of space for the new monarch to inspect their troops. There is also the Magna Carta to remind any newly crowned heads that the law applies to them. But no Royal Palace nearby to travel to.

How about in Edinburgh at St Giles (where Her Majesty laid in rest), a nice long parade via Princes Street and then up to the castle for an afternoon of Edinburgh Military Tattoo-like festivities. The King can then head off to Holyrood for the night.

One of the purposes of a Coronation is to show off the new King or Queen to the public, with soldiers on parade and marching bands etc.
I suppose it has to be a religious location (and a Protestant one at that!) given all the blessings and prayers I watched yesterday.

The various Royal Peculiars aka royal churches are very small. Good for a very stripped down low cost event but not on the scale of yesterday. St Georges Chapel at Windsor followed by a drive to Buckingham Palace for the balcony and parades is most likely.

York Minster has the historical connections and internal capacity but it's in a very cramped city environment.

Salisbury Cathedral is surrounded by large fields so is easily secured and has plenty of space for the new monarch to inspect their troops. There is also the Magna Carta to remind any newly crowned heads that the law applies to them. But no Royal Palace nearby to travel to.

How about in Edinburgh at St Giles (where Her Majesty laid in rest), a nice long parade via Princes Street and then up to the castle for an afternoon of Edinburgh Military Tattoo-like festivities. The King can then head off to Holyrood for the night.

Its already been announced that the King will be presented (not a Coronation) with the Honours of Scotland at a ceremony at St Giles, following a precedent established in 1953.

If WA was out of action, I agree that from a historical perspective Winchester is the most likely alternative option.