AH map challenge IV: the last one (for now)

So, as it has been sort-of agreed in the last Map Challenge voting thread, this will be the last in this short series of map challenges. This doesn't mean that people can't make map challenges, it just won't be a sequence and they will hopefully not come up very often (once a month or two is fine, IMHO).

Right. The challenge, should you choose to accept is, is to created a map of any region of the world (it can be either the whole world, or just a few continents, or some region at least the size of the Middle East). However, it must NOT be a political map. Sure, you can put country borders and even colour-code the countries, however it should be clear that the purpose of the map is to illustrate something else than the political divisions of the region.

Other requirements:
- The map should depict a pre-20th century situation.
- It should encompass the location of one of the 15 largest countries of OTL, and that region should be Balkanized (to what extent is up to you).
- Preferrably, it should not be a Balkanized USA (but you can do it if you want) ;).
- Some area that has been Balkanized in OTL at some point in time (the Balkans, HRE, something like that) should be united.

Also, a description would be handy. And originality is most welcomed.

I will keep this open for a week or until we get 10 submissions, whichever comes later. Then I will put up a poll.

asbmapreligion.png

Philip

Donor
Revised and expanded version of a map I posted earlier.
- The map should depict a pre-20th century situation.

AD 1400.

- It should encompass the location of one of the 15 largest countries of OTL, and that region should be Balkanized (to what extent is up to you).
That would be China. The land of OTL's PRC is broken into five states, two of which share the same dominant religion. On a non-political note, Western Christianity is split into three mutually hostile faiths.

- Some area that has been Balkanized in OTL at some point in time (the Balkans, HRE, something like that) should be united.
Though not entirely visible here, the areas Iberia, France (south of the Loire), and Northern Italy are unified in a single state of Romano-Goths. Likewise, most of the Balkans are unified into a single stable Slavic state.

Other comments:

Christianity:
Catholic Christianity is a semi-Arian version of Christianity.
Vandalic is a neo-Donatist Nicene Christianity.
Northern (or Arimathean ) Christianity is most similar to OTL Western Nicene Christianity with a conciliar bent.
Eastern Christianity is a miaphysite Christianity that emerged in the east after a failure to resolve the Acacian schism.

Judaism:
Youshaite Judaism follows the teachings of Yousha bin Dawood bin Adham, a 7th Century messianic figure from Himyar and TTL’s analogue to Mohammad.
Yusufite Judaism is an 11th Century attempt to return Judaism to its pre-Yousha form.
Azanian Judaism mixes Youshaite Judaism with indigenous beliefs.

Hinduism:
Shingon Hinduism is a blending of indigenous Japanese beliefs with Hinduism. Hinduism was brought to Japan by the Champa.

Tengriism:
Hepthalite refers to the region, not necessarily the people. It has been strongly influenced by Abrahamic faiths.

Zoroastrianism still exists as a minority religion. Its faithful have been scattered to the winds by successive invasions of Romans, Arabs, and Turks. Their communities can be found in Central Asia and Eastern Europe. They are somewhat analogous to OTL’s Ashkenazi.

EasternHemiReligions.png

Last edited:
hey, new guy here. first post and first map. :)

not really sure how to explain this one: it's some kind of Jewish/Kabala/Steampunk/Mad Science timeline where Jewish engineers have a monopoly on steam-powered "Golems" that are used for most industrial and heavy labor purposes.

the Levi & Absalom Steam Golem Rail Company use them to pull train cars around Europe, and have built quite an extensive web of lines between many major cities throughout the continent.

(envision a pair of ten-foot-tall steam-powered robots instead of a locomotive pulling a train of rail cars, and you've got it.)

as far as the challenge goes:

not primarily a political map: check. the first version was much more colorful, which accentuated the national borders but hid the rail lines too much. i muted it quite a bit, and i think it's definitely better now at displaying the relevant information.

pre-20th century: check. i'd guess this is around 1878-1880.

large, balkanized region: check. Russia is divided into Pskov, the Novgorod Republic, Minsk, Grand Muscovy, Kiev, Ryazan, Kazan, and Khazaria (which is still a Jewish state ITTL).

balkanized area united: check. what better area than the Balkans themselves? Greater Transbalkania doesn't encompass the whole of the Balkans, but it's a good start.

check out the Channel Bridge. Levi & Absalom just completed that a few months ago, so now you can ride in comfort from Glasgow to Astrakhan!

if i may toot my own horn, i'm particularly pleased with the "Elba Napoleonate." i like the idea of his name becoming a generic term for a ruler, much like Caesar's did.

(i also like the sound of "Greater Transbalkania." it started out on the map as just "Balkania," but i thought that didn't sound grandiose enough. it morphed into "TRANSbalkania," which was better, but not quite there yet, before finally achieving "GREATER Transbalkania.")

steam_golem_world_4 copy.gif

I'm not too happy with this map, but people wanted me to do a bit more editing... :(

AH4C.PNG

Last edited:
Fairly self-explanatory. Aliens invade South America in 1892.

Note that Uruguay and Brazil are together. This I take as non-balkanized.

balkanizedargentina.PNG

This is the first map I've entered into one of these challenge things - it shows foreign trade interests in Central America in the late 19th century.

Balkanised region is Mexico, whereas Central America doesn't disintegrate into Guatemala, Costa Rica etc.

The key shows the primary trading parter of each nation.

challengekm2.png

Last edited:
@mattw101: NICE. I think that you might, in the future, use a more obvious patterns, as the ones you're using here can be hard to discern.

Hopefully I'm allowed to participate here... the map was inspired by the Islam/Christianity swap thread I guess? (But with a Jewish Russia for some reason, who knows)

relversed.png