A question about Joseph Chamberlain

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times before, but I'm just curious (as I'm working on a TL project and this is one aspect that's going to come up, seeing as I'm not that too terribly familiar with British politcs):

Let's say that Joseph Chamberlain does not suffer a head injury on July 1902, and let's say that he also does not suffer a stroke in 1906, after his 70th birthday, when getting ready for a dinner. Could there have been any way for him to become Prime Minister (at least up to 1910), and if so, how?

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I doubt it, without his ditching Tariff Reform. The traditional Tories still saw him as an outsider, and I believe he had tacitly accepted the top job would not be his, although it is possible to see him creating a coalition like Lloyd George, as they were more alike than they'd admit to.

After Tariff Reform was launched he effectively stepped down from the Cabinet to campaign more effectively with Austen his "appointed representative." It also was a major factor in the Liberal landslide in the 1906 General Election. It took the Unionists another three elections, the shattering of the Liberal Party and the political fall out from a World War for them to hold power again. By then I suspect Joe would be viewed as even more of a political throwback than Balfour.

So if he quietly abandons or at least tones down tariff reform, it could be possible for Joseph to get at least close to the PM office? And if so, what would his governing style be like?

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
So if he quietly abandons or at least tones down tariff reform, it could be possible for Joseph to get at least close to the PM office? And if so, what would his governing style be like?

Completely different to Balfour or Asquith. Very much a man driven by causes - usually one big one at a time e.g. anti-Home Rule, South Africa, afore-mentioned tariff reform. Suspect he would also be more advanced on social reform than his Unionist / Tory allies. Wouldn't take criticism or internal opposition well - you can see where Neville got that from!

So policies: -
No Home Rule for Ireland
Some measure of tariff reform & Imperial preference
Backing for Imperial schemes - perhaps make Egypt an actual British colony?
Social & educational reform - not to same degree as the Liberals on the former, but certainly extending help to the non-conformist schools.
Foreign policy - more aligned with Germany than France? That has some butterflies! Look for closer links with the USA.

K, so I can't do it right this minute, or for the next two days (getting my church ready for Easter, plus Easter dinner at home), but one of these days I'll ship a PM your way.