A Desert Called Peace

Chris

Banned
A Desert Called Peace/Carnifex
Tom Kratman

Fair Warning; this review is based upon the EARC produced by Baen Books and may be revised when I actually read a hard copy of the novels. Any small discrepancies are down to this. Probably.

If there is one thing that I have been looking forward to where Tom Kratman is concerned, it is a book set in a universe he himself designed. Some of the politics intermingled with the Posleen War books he wrote (Watch on the Rhine, Yellow Eyes) didn’t work very well. What is the point of asking hard questions, such as how far as we prepared to go to survive, when the threat is so overwhelming that the answer is anything? With the Carrera series, Tom can finally pose the uncomfortable questions…and send Tranzis - Transnational Progressives - into a heart attack. If you consider yourself left-wing, you need to be sitting down before you start reading.

Right, are we sitting comfortably?

The background to the book is fairly simple. Terra Nova is a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri, linked to Earth by a rift in space. Rather unwisely, though the machinations of various Tranzi factions on Earth, Terra Nova became the dumping ground for millions of human refugees from Earth, including national contingents from almost every nation on Earth. The net result is a planet that is almost exactly like Earth in the 21st century, with the Federated States of Columbia (America), Volga (Russia) and Sumer (Iraq). Complicating matters is the existence of the United Earth Peace Fleet, which comes from Earth after the Tranzis took over and is working quietly from behind the scenes to ensure that Terra Nova never becomes a threat to Earth. Terra Nova also has dangerous plants; Progressivines, Tranzitrees and Bolshiberries are among the most dangerous. They rot your brains.

Terra Nova is at war. Any resemblance to the war on terror is purely uncoincidental, lol.

Anyway…when the United States of America – cough, cough, the Federated States of Columbia – is attacked by Salafi Ikhwan (AQ), a man called Carrera steps forward in Balboa (Panama, hem, hem) to build an army with the intention of prosecuting the war against the terrorists. Carrera, rich, ruthless and widowed by the terrorists, is the worst nightmare of the Left, a fact he proves as his Legion del Cid crushes all resistance from terrorists, first in the Republic of Sumer (Iraq) and then in Pashtia (Afghanistan). In many ways, Kratman is showing just how the War on Terror should have been waged, from the brutal treatment of captured suspects to the effort involved in taking a city held by insurgents. Carrera uses methods that terrify, shock and humiliate his enemies; methods that cannot be used by those accountable to a constituency.

What’s better; BUSH DISBANDS IRAQI ARMY or BUSH KEEPS FACIST SADDAM’S ARMY? Poor Bush; everyone second-guesses him, all the time. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t…we need more people like Carrera out there. Tom and pretty much everyone else who writes about Iraq is probably right to say that disbanding the army was a mistake, but keeping it would have also come with a political price to pay. Politics and war cannot be separated, even a war against unabashed evil.

But I digress. There are some parts of the ‘Carrera Program’ that I love, not least arresting some media correspondents as spies, or arranging for Amnesty, Interplanetary to make easy to disprove allegations. In real life, however, it might have gone badly wrong; what would have happened if she had kept their faces hidden? Setting up a sting operation for someone who literally arranged for her own kidnap for ransom, and then killing her pour encourager les autres is fitting, but dangerous; killing people whose only crime is being related to someone Officially Classified as Evil will cause moral revulsion in many people who would otherwise support the program. Maybe it does make perfect sense in some parts of the world, but not in the west; it also opens the danger of the local police catching the assassin and discovering the truth.

“A Conservative is a Liberal who just got mugged. A Liberal is a Conservative who just got arrested.”

The world is not as black and white as some suggest. Kratman’s real success here is that he asks the questions that others fear to ask. A second success is in taking some of the problems with the United Earth fleet to their logical conclusion; far too many writers neglect that point to the detriment of suspension of disbelief. I can’t wait for book three…

And, if nothing else, no one is ever going to complain about The Third World War again.

What an horrible sounding book. Based on your review it sounds like it's a thinly veiled wank over what the author would do if he were rich and powerful.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
While I admit I rather enjoyed WotR, Kartman is, IMO, a major wack-job. His absolute hatred for anyone who strays even the slightest bit from the most far right NeoCon position poisons his work to the degree that it is almost unreadable (and this is from the guy who's is described on his Wiki entry, by someone else, as very conservitive).

He has another book where he shows how Hillary Clinton, after her election (which is made possible by a murder of a political opponent) plunges the country into a police state. I don't have a clue how it turns out since the entire concept, as described by Kartman, is ludicrious.

Do I believe that the U.S. could have handled the War on Terror differently? You bet. Do I think that the West is far to squemish when dealing with viscous criminal who pretend to have political motivations (i.e. Terrorists)? Yep. Do I think the proper way to get things done is turn U.S. policy into the worst parts of the Crusades, Spanish Inquision, Andersonville & Lubyanka? Hell NO!

I mostly agree with the mindset of John Ringo, at least he has a sense of humor, but Kartman? No at chance. People like him scare the $%#& out of me because they will kill what they are trying to protect.

While I admit I rather enjoyed WotR, Kartman is, IMO, a major wack-job. His absolute hatred for anyone who strays even the slightest bit from the most far right NeoCon position poisons his work to the degree that it is almost unreadable (and this is from the guy who's is described on his Wiki entry, by someone else, as very conservitive).

I've had lunch with the man. I can neither deny nor deny that any of the statments in this thread are inaccurate. (And no, that's not a mistake.)

Where did you ever get the idea I'm a neocon, CalBear? Either you don't understand me, or you don't understand neocons.

I looked at that wiki entry. The word "conservative" does not appear. It really should, though. Where did you see it?

May I assume that since I'm a member now ignorant and against the rules comments like, say, "wack-job" will disappear?

Y'all have a nice day.

Tom

Ah...James...what the hell does that mean?

You're one scary motherfucker. Anyone messes with you, they'll definitely pay the consequences. (At least, that was the impression that I got from meeting you, but if it's wrong, please let me know.) And you've got a realistic bent that worked well in the Posleen series. Definitely made Watch on the Rhine the best Posleen book so far. I can't say that I've agreed with everything that you've written, but I won't fault it on creativity or ignore the pieces that I don't like. Sorry if that comment came out negative. It was mostly directed towards what Chris said.

Last edited:
You're one scary motherfucker. Anyone messes with you, they'll definitely pay the consequences. (At least, that was the impression that I got from meeting you, but if it's wrong, please let me know.) And you've got a realistic bent that worked well in the Posleen series. Definitely made Watch on the Rhine the best Posleen book so far. I can't say that I've agreed with everything that you've written, but I won't fault it on creativity or ignore the pieces that I don't like. Sorry if that comment came out negative. It was mostly directed towards what Chris said.

"Scary?" People keep saying that and I don't really understand. Oh, well..._I_ think I'm a fairly decent sort, of course. I will, however, confess to be a tad vindictive. And, of course, revenge is a moral obligation of the first order.

By the way, a lot of people really misunderstood the slams on the Reds, Pinks and Greens in Watch. I did _not_ have Euro reactions to the GWOT in mind but was thinking of the many, many protests against defense there during the Cold War, of which the anti-Pershing movement was only one issue among many. It strikes me that there's little difference between, say, environmentalists protesting, in effect, in favor of the Soviet system (which destroyed the environment wherever it held sway) and humanitarians protesting in favor of aliens that eat humans. It's not logical to do so, of course, unless the environmentalism or humanitarianism are simply false fronts which, in many case, I believe, they were.

Tom

"Scary?" People keep saying that and I don't really understand. Oh, well..._I_ think I'm a fairly decent sort, of course. I will, however, confess to be a tad vindictive. And, of course, revenge is a moral obligation of the first order.

The picture on your book jacket, I think is what drives that impression. You've got really piercing eyes, and since the eyes are generally what people look at first in a picture...

By the way, a lot of people really misunderstood the slams on the Reds, Pinks and Greens in Watch. I did _not_ have Euro reactions to the GWOT in mind but was thinking of the many, many protests against defense there during the Cold War, of which the anti-Pershing movement was only one issue among many. It strikes me that there's little difference between, say, environmentalists protesting, in effect, in favor of the Soviet system (which destroyed the environment wherever it held sway) and humanitarians protesting in favor of aliens that eat humans. It's not logical to do so, of course, unless the environmentalism or humanitarianism are simply false fronts which, in many case, I believe, they were.

I percieved the protests to be driven by the Darhel's manipulations, rather than big organic movement. Sure, there might've been a bit of anti-whatever sentiment, but I imagine that a lot of it was promoted by the Darhel in order to create confusion and allow for them to exert more control. It might've been nice to see the Darhel manipulating some sort of rightist "Earth First" group as well. The irony on that would be pretty amusing -- people who think they're looking out for themselves, but actually shooting themselves in the foot by limiting the amount of money earned from off-world work. That's simply my imagination at work, though, and it (to me, at least) seems to go along with how the Darhel operate. Wheels within wheels.

Incidentally, if you haven't read Chris's The Yeomen of England, it's a pretty good Posleen story.

The picture on your book jacket, I think is what drives that impression. You've got really piercing eyes, and since the eyes are generally what people look at first in a picture...

Web site? I've never permitted a pic on any book jackets.

I percieved the protests to be driven by the Darhel's manipulations, rather than big organic movement. Sure, there might've been a bit of anti-whatever sentiment, but I imagine that a lot of it was promoted by the Darhel in order to create confusion and allow for them to exert more control. It might've been nice to see the Darhel manipulating some sort of rightist "Earth First" group as well. The irony on that would be pretty amusing -- people who think they're looking out for themselves, but actually shooting themselves in the foot by limiting the amount of money earned from off-world work. That's simply my imagination at work, though, and it (to me, at least) seems to go along with how the Darhel operate. Wheels within wheels.

It's not a bad thing to leave something for the readers imagination.

Incidentally, if you haven't read Chris's The Yeomen of England, it's a pretty good Posleen story.

It's been on my list for a while but it will be longer still before I cann get to it. See, Simon and Schuster decided to release Caliphate _before_ my contract required me to turn it in. Not having access to a time machine, I am having to scramble to finish it in time for the editorial process.

Tom

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

Where did you ever get the idea I'm a neocon, CalBear? Either you don't understand me, or you don't understand neocons.

I looked at that wiki entry. The word "conservative" does not appear. It really should, though. Where did you see it?

May I assume that since I'm a member now ignorant and against the rules comments like, say, "wack-job" will disappear?

Y'all have a nice day.

Tom

Tom,

As I said, I did rather enjoy WotR and I do congratulate you on that work.

I will also say that your State of Disobedience, is, from my perspective, a work that demonstates a rather hateful view of any who do not share your rather narrow view of what is right for America. I found it, in fact, to be so far out that it made the work unreadable.

I will also say that I was rather disappointed to find this to be the case. I had hoped that I would be able to add another writer to the list of those whose work I eagerly anticipate.

In any case, welcome to the Board. I am sure that your perspective will be a useful addition to the discussions here.

edit:BTW: I was referring to the Wiki entry on me, which was posted by someone else.

Last edited:
It's been on my list for a while but it will be longer still before I cann get to it. See, Simon and Schuster decided to release Caliphate _before_ my contract required me to turn it in. Not having access to a time machine, I am having to scramble to finish it in time for the editorial process.

Tom

Ah. Good luck with that. I know what it's like to have to meet deadlines, and it's no fun at all, especially when someone springs an early one on you. I'll be heading back to Tech for opening football weekend. Haven't been back since I finished in December.

Tom,

As I said, I did rather enjoy WotR and I do congratulate you on that work.

I will also say that your State of Disobedience, is, from my perspective, a work that demonstates a rather hateful view of any who do not share your rather narrow view of what is right for America. I found it, in fact, to be so far out that it made the work unreadable.

I will also say that I was rather disappointed to find this to be the case. I had hoped that I would be able to add another writer to the list of those whose work I eagerly anticipate.

In any case, welcome to the Board. I am sure that your perspective will be a useful addition to the discussions here.

edit:BTW: I was referring to the Wiki entry on me, which was posted by someone else.

Ah. That was...unclear.

"Wack-jobs" can bring useful perspectives? ;)

ASOD was, so to speak, written to spec. Jim Baen asked me to write up his core idea and I, largely because I hated practicing law and wanted to get into writing, agreed. I will claim neither that it's a great book (I don't do my best work writing to spec, frankly) nor that it isn't right wing. I will, however, claim that it's less right wing than it's been given credit for. (Note - and many people missed this - that the governor, the heroine of the story, is a moderate democrat. Note that she doubts that a complete dismantling of liberalism is either doable or, even if it could be done, wise. Note further that the "proposed" amendments in the back are just that, _proposed_ by people at the convention, are disapproved of by Governor Seguin, and are listed expressly to point out: "push too far, too fast in one direction and expect to create a reaction you are not going to like.")

It was also a first novel. Those often have issues and mine, sadly, was no exception. That said, if you recall Rottemeyer's speech to Congress? Lifted, almost verbatim, from the Democratic Party platform of 2000. Most people who choked on ASOD seem to have choked on that and never realized that I was not creating there; I was reporting.

Now, do I really hate Hillary? Oh, yeah. Absolutely loathe the bitch. Just go to the "dictionary of barbed epithets" and pick something. The odds are good that I feel that way about Hillary. I see nothing in her but lust for power, no principle and no virtue that isn't, in her case, a vice because of that lack of principle and lust for power. She could be utterly right wing (which, by the way, I think she would have been if she thought that was a surer road to power) and I'd hate her as much. She's a threat to the republic and I'd have a hard time sleeping at night if 52% of the American people, by poll, "wouldn't even consider voting for her."

As for narrow view...nah, not particularly. Where I fit on the usual on-line "what sort of crypto-fascist/pseudo-communist are you?" poll / survey is either at the right edge of the middle third of the populace or the extreme left edge of the right third. That strikes me as just about right, domestically - a fairly accurate description.

Internationally, I confess to being an ultra-nationalist. There are reasons for this that have nothing to do with hating the non-American portion of humanity and much to do with the doctrine behind, and underlying principle of, separation of powers. As an aside, I've worked extensively with the humanitarian, internationalist, cosmopolitan, tranzi crowd and find most of them to be a lot like Hillary. They manage to do pretty well by "doing good," too. The afterword in the back of Carnifex gives my feelings about them.

As for my writing, more generally, yes, sure, there's going to be a right wing slant...often, if not always. You may be interested in the contempt for the upper classes shown in Yellow Eyes. And, as Chris suggested, in a military setting I don't pander much to aesthetically driven, but impractical, modern notions of law in war. I tend to agree with Sherman, "War is Hell and you cannot refine it." For my views on the law of war, look at the afterword to Yellow Eyes.

Tom

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Ah. That was...unclear.

"Wack-jobs" can bring useful perspectives? ;)

ASOD was, so to speak, written to spec. Jim Baen asked me to write up his core idea and I, largely because I hated practicing law and wanted to get into writing, agreed. I will claim neither that it's a great book (I don't do my best work writing to spec, frankly) nor that it isn't right wing. I will, however, claim that it's less right wing than it's been given credit for. (Note - and many people missed this - that the governor, the heroine of the story, is a moderate democrat. Note that she doubts that a complete dismantling of liberalism is either doable or, even if it could be done, wise. Note further that the "proposed" amendments in the back are just that, _proposed_ by people at the convention, are disapproved of by Governor Seguin, and are listed expressly to point out: "push too far, too fast in one direction and expect to create a reaction you are not going to like.")

It was also a first novel. Those often have issues and mine, sadly, was no exception. That said, if you recall Rottemeyer's speech to Congress? Lifted, almost verbatim, from the Democratic Party platform of 2000. Most people who choked on ASOD seem to have choked on that and never realized that I was not creating there; I was reporting.

Now, do I really hate Hillary? Oh, yeah. Absolutely loathe the bitch. Just go to the "dictionary of barbed epithets" and pick something. The odds are good that I feel that way about Hillary. I see nothing in her but lust for power, no principle and no virtue that isn't, in her case, a vice because of that lack of principle and lust for power. She could be utterly right wing (which, by the way, I think she would have been if she thought that was a surer road to power) and I'd hate her as much. She's a threat to the republic and I'd have a hard time sleeping at night if 52% of the American people, by poll, "wouldn't even consider voting for her."

As for narrow view...nah, not particularly. Where I fit on the usual on-line "what sort of crypto-fascist/pseudo-communist are you?" poll / survey is either at the right edge of the middle third of the populace or the extreme left edge of the right third. That strikes me as just about right, domestically - a fairly accurate description.

Internationally, I confess to being an ultra-nationalist. There are reasons for this that have nothing to do with hating the non-American portion of humanity and much to do with the doctrine behind, and underlying principle of, separation of powers. As an aside, I've worked extensively with the humanitarian, internationalist, cosmopolitan, tranzi crowd and find most of them to be a lot like Hillary. They manage to do pretty well by "doing good," too. The afterword in the back of Carnifex gives my feelings about them.

As for my writing, more generally, yes, sure, there's going to be a right wing slant...often, if not always. You may be interested in the contempt for the upper classes shown in Yellow Eyes. And, as Chris suggested, in a military setting I don't pander much to aesthetically driven, but impractical, modern notions of law in war. I tend to agree with Sherman, "War is Hell and you cannot refine it." For my views on the law of war, look at the afterword to Yellow Eyes.

Tom

Thanks for the reply.

As yet another of the Board's swarm of aspiring writers, it is always good to hear the background of how a writer managed the difficult feat of getting published, and some "inside" background on a work (even one that I didn't like). Having never attempted a "spec' project it is interesting to see your comments on producing such a work.

As I said, I look forward to the perspectives that you will, no doubt, bring to the Board. A conservative voice is not a common one here (the fact that I am considered as very conservative here, while I generally fall in the exact center of those same web based surverys you mention is an example of this) and some balance will be nice.

Based on your reply, and your other posts, I do sincerely apologize for my characterization of you at the beginning of this tread. Given the size (14) of my foot, it is surprising how often I manage to stick it in my mouth.

Thanks for the reply.

As yet another of the Board's swarm of aspiring writers, it is always good to hear the background of how a writer managed the difficult feat of getting published, and some "inside" background on a work (even one that I didn't like). Having never attempted a "spec' project it is interesting to see your comments on producing such a work.

As I said, I look forward to the perspectives that you will, no doubt, bring to the Board. A conservative voice is not a common one here (the fact that I am considered as very conservative here, while I generally fall in the exact center of those same web based surverys you mention is an example of this) and some balance will be nice.

Based on your reply, and your other posts, I do sincerely apologize for my characterization of you at the beginning of this tread. Given the size (14) of my foot, it is surprising how often I manage to stick it in my mouth.

It is, I agree, a very inefficient way to spit-shine a boot. Don't feel too bad. I really can be an asshole sometimes. ;)

It's actually a lot worse, for me, writing to spec than I generally let on. One example: After Watch, Baen wanted John Ringo and I to do the usual collab thing, "senior" author produces outline, "junior" (errr...that would be me) writes it up. John and I tried. After about 14 months I had managed to write about 14,000 words, every one of which I hated "separately but equally." (Note here that I can normally do 2-4k a day, 7-9k when I'm cranking.) I mean...I spent thirty-two years in the army, in one component or capacity or another, pissing people off because I wanted to do things _my_ way (and...ummm...doing so). And I'm going to be an easy collab? Nah.

We just dropped that idea and I wrote Yellow Eyes instead, having had quite a bit of experience in Panama. I think the next one will be _The_Tulostenalooriad_, concerning the escape from Earth of Tulostenaloor (BBMFIC Posleen in Hell's Faire) and the recreation of Posleen civilization along more stable lines. That, however, will be after Caliphate.

Difficult getting published? You have no idea. I've done a lot of hard things, to include Army Ranger School. _Nothing_ conpares to the difficulty of getting published. And even that I did lacks a certain something, satisfaction-wise, because it was a fluke. I wasn't even going to go to the convention where Baen asked me to write ASOD until one of the Baen's Barflies talked me into it.

Tom

We just dropped that idea and I wrote Yellow Eyes instead, having had quite a bit of experience in Panama. I think the next one will be _The_Tulostenalooriad_, concerning the escape from Earth of Tulostenaloor (BBMFIC Posleen in Hell's Faire) and the recreation of Posleen civilization along more stable lines. That, however, will be after Caliphate.

Sounds like an interesting story. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Internationally, I confess to being an ultra-nationalist. There are reasons for this that have nothing to do with hating the non-American portion of humanity and much to do with the doctrine behind, and underlying principle of, separation of powers.

I'd be interested to know why you feel the doctrine of separation of powers leads to ultra nationalism?