Especially with the kind of actions they seem to be pushing for in Danzig here.
I wanted to write a bit about the Strasserite NAZIs, but frankly I couldn’t imagine them having any traction in any major German cities. It occurred to me, though, that Danzig would be the perfect breeding ground for that sort of ideology, what with the hatred of Poles and a feeling of betrayal (since many in Germany sought to kick the Danzig can down the road).

As for von Papen, he is someone that I always saw as gaining some power because he is slimy and connected, but lacking the sophistication to really become anyone influential or important. He sees himself as a harbinger of a new German era but lacks the needed skills. I absolutely see him getting angry and resentful and making a deal for power like he tried with Hitler. If the Nazis could outplay him, that says a lot.

As for the mentions of Edward VIII I would say that while his relationship with Wallace Simpson was the issue that publicly caused the most problems, privately it was his leaning towards the Nazis that caused the real anxieties. It wouldn't take much for Edward to not meet Wallace and be cajoled into some more suitable match and pro-German sympathies are going to be less of an issue here. Basically as long as he restricts his behaviour to the sort of things the British press have long turned a blind eye to when it comes to the monarchy, then there's no reason for him not to become King.
One question is of course will he produce an heir regardless of who he marries ITTL?
Well he had already met Wallace and wanted to marry her. I think that his German sympathies would be less of a problem, but i also don't know how strong they would even be without Hitler.

I'm also not sure how much incentive he would have to restrict his behavior. He seemed as a person to be wholly incompatible with the way the British monarchy functioned in the 20th century. I personally feel that even here he would be seen as an undesirable option and that the attempt to marry Wallace would still cause pushback.

Well he had already met Wallace and wanted to marry her. I think that his German sympathies would be less of a problem, but i also don't know how strong they would even be without Hitler.
As for the mentions of Edward VIII I would say that while his relationship with Wallace Simpson was the issue that publicly caused the most problems, privately it was his leaning towards the Nazis that caused the real anxieties. It wouldn't take much for Edward to not meet Wallace and be cajoled into some more suitable match and pro-German sympathies are going to be less of an issue here.

Wallis, not Wallace.

Garrison

Donor
One thought, given how ardent he was in trying to find an accommodation for Edward to marry Wallis and retain the throne if Edward is crowned would Winston Churchill return to high office sooner or be permanently condemned to the backbenches?

Seeing Germany navigating through the clusterfuck that is the 1930s is very interesting, with how Germany seems to be moving closer to Britain while the French are moving to an alliance with Italy I'd think Britain would be more and more amenable to German interests. After all Britain would need allies, and swapping the French for the Germans seems like a good idea.

With von Papen and Goring moving in Danzig I do wonder how that would go in general. I don't think Germany would want Danzig to go through with a revolution to join Germany bc it'd play right into polish hands. I do wonder would LV attempt to counteract strasserite influence in Danzig when he finds out how close they are to bungling up Danzig.

Seeing Germany navigating through the clusterfuck that is the 1930s is very interesting, with how Germany seems to be moving closer to Britain while the French are moving to an alliance with Italy I'd think Britain would be more and more amenable to German interests. After all Britain would need allies, and swapping the French for the Germans seems like a good idea.

With von Papen and Goring moving in Danzig I do wonder how that would go in general. I don't think Germany would want Danzig to go through with a revolution to join Germany bc it'd play right into polish hands. I do wonder would LV attempt to counteract strasserite influence in Danzig when he finds out how close they are to bungling up Danzig.
The thing about Britain is that... they are Britain. They don't make friends easily. IRL it took the threat of a massive imperial German navy and an invasion of Belgium, and, later, super aggressive fascism, to make them back a continental power. Britain isn't stupid--they know that Germany has designs on many of their neighbours. They welcome a more friendly Berlin but it will take a lot more for them to commit fully to anyone, and Germany still has some ways to go to prove themselves.

One "benefit" of the Nazi system was how it unified a lot of the disparate groups under one banner, sucking in the military, the aristocracy, the extremists, etc. That sort of unity is not present, here, and it leaves a lot of mobility room. Plus, von Lettow-Vorbeck is still subject to the whims of his supporters, like the big industrialists.

Last edited:
So Von Papin is a moron in any universe? Especially as this time there is very little hope of military support for his stupidity. They already have what they want (rearmament) and aren't risking war long before they're ready this time while Papin is a spent force and the Stresser's are way to close to being communist to get support from the elites.

At worst they might get control of Danzig, which causes the Pole's to move in to crush them and gives Germany an excuse to intervene.

By the way I assume from their "program" that (as seems to have occured OTL) the brother's Stresser were not in on the joke about the 25 points and thought the "communism without communism" parts were a good idea? You know as opposed to a cynical "little of column a, little of column b," effort to gain support while actually having no true policy beyond power for Hitler and absolute racism?

So Von Papin is a moron in any universe? Especially as this time there is very little hope of military support for his stupidity. They already have what they want (rearmament) and aren't risking war long before they're ready this time while Papin is a spent force and the Stresser's are way to close to being communist to get support from the elites.

At worst they might get control of Danzig, which causes the Pole's to move in to crush them and gives Germany an excuse to intervene.
Well, in addition to being a moron, it seems like he's desperate to regain national relevance with Vorbeck so dominant as of late and Adenauer the Chancellor.

By the way I assume from their "program" that (as seems to have occured OTL) the brother's Stresser were not in on the joke about the 25 points and thought the "communism without communism" parts were a good idea? You know as opposed to a cynical "little of column a, little of column b," effort to gain support while actually having no true policy beyond power for Hitler and absolute racism?
Yes and no. Yes, they do fall into that pattern, but also there is even a slight ideological rift between the two brothers. They work together and agree on a lot, but when talking to one or the other, their view for the future will differ.

Well, in addition to being a moron, it seems like he's desperate to regain national relevance with Vorbeck so dominant as of late and Adenauer the Chancellor.
That sort of sums up how I see Papen. Many people were iffy about me using him, and I understood why, but I never planned for him to come into power. As a friend of Schleicher and just a slimy worm, I would see him gaining a foothold in any establishment. The thing is, he does not want to be part of a powerful group or be the power behind the throne--he wants to BE the throne. And that greed got him into trouble IRL, and will here, too.

That sort of sums up how I see Papen. Many people were iffy about me using him, and I understood why, but I never planned for him to come into power. As a friend of Schleicher and just a slimy worm, I would see him gaining a foothold in any establishment. The thing is, he does not want to be part of a powerful group or be the power behind the throne--he wants to BE the throne. And that greed got him into trouble IRL, and will here, too.
On that note, will the Mayor of Leipzig at this point enter national politics later on as he sounds like a close ally the President would like to have?

The thing about Britain is that... they are Britain. They don't make friends easily. IRL it took the threat of a massive imperial German navy and an invasion of Belgium, and, later, super aggressive fascism, to make them back a continental power. Britain isn't stupid--they know that Germany has designs on many of their neighbours. They welcome a more friendly Berlin but it will take a lot more for them to commit fully to anyone, and Germany still has some ways to go to prove themselves.
Plus bad blood from the Great War.

On the other hand, they need a foothold on the continent, and they did use to fund German kingdoms back in the days against France.

On that note, will the Mayor of Leipzig at this point enter national politics later on as he sounds like a close ally the President would like to have?
I had completely forgotten he existed, but you're right in that he is exactly the sort of person that von Lettow-Vorbeck would like to work with. Can't believe I overlooked him. Thanks!

Plus bad blood from the Great War.

On the other hand, they need a foothold on the continent, and they did use to fund German kingdoms back in the days against France.
Yeah it does fit England's modus operandi on the continent: get someone who can balance against the main threat on the continent.

In this case its the USSR, and with France being rabidly anti-german which wouldn't serve British interests ittl I see Britain moving closer to Germany.

I do see Britain being a lot more isolationist than otl though, and becoming more pro-american than anyone else on the continent, since sticking to American policy would allow them to enact free trade and the such since they still would have more power than otl and prob keep the commonwealth more intact as a result.