1973: The Year of the Four Presidents

At this point there is a growing party of Americans contemplating going to Washington and burning the place down just for the hell of it. :rolleyes: In all seriousness, a fascinating concept, and a decent story. Please keep going.

Last edited:

Sabot Cat

Banned
At this point there is a growing party of Americans contemplating going to Washington and burning the place down just for the hell of it. :rolleyes: In all seriousness, a fascinating concept, and a decent story. Please keep rolling it right along forward.

Thanks! And ironically enough, if there hadn't been such popular discontent with the political system itself, Reagan would not have run as a third-party candidate (which split the vote again). And for an added twist, if the Republican Party had not blamed Reagan for their loss in 1976, he would have won the primaries and the 1980 election as he did in OTL.

...By March 1973, Agnew was finally charged by the state of Maryland for the aforementioned financial crimes, and upon the advice of his legal team, he used the presidential pardon on himself...

Agnew's crimes were Federal in nature, not state. He pled no contest to one count of tax evasion. I mention this because if Agnew had been indicted by a state court, as he well could have been, the Presidential pardon power would not apply; i.e. he could not pardon himself.

If you want to make this really messy, have Agnew indicted for bribery in Maryland, refusing to nominate a VP who passes muster with Congressional Democrats and throw in an impeachment with a trial and conviction in the Senate. Then have Albert succeed him and nominate Ford...all while Woodward and Bernstein are unraveling Watergate and the illegalities involved there.

When the House chooses a president, each state delegation casts one vote. wWho controls a majority of state delegations ITTL?

I can see the people of the US demanding an end to the electoral college and going to a popular vote after this shit.

Sabot Cat

Banned
Sorry about going all George Lucas (or perhaps George Orwell?) on all of you, but I've made several revisions to the timeline:

• The Soviet Union's embassy in Iran was seized instead of the U.S., which caused an earlier Iran-Iraq War with Carter covertly funding Iran.
  • The Apollo missions and bicentennial space shuttle launch have been scrapped.
  • George H.W. Bush is the winner of the 1980 election.

Last edited:
Well done. It's certainly a happier ending than my 1973 with four Presidents ...

Really, really enjoying your thread!

I'm trying real hard not to necro it.

I'm on page five of twelve. I checked the last page to see how recently it had been updated and kind of caught a whiff of how it ends, but, yeah, I'm suspending that in disbelief so as to read the rest in a state of excited anticipation.

Edit: Just finished reading it! Daaaaamn!

Last edited:

Sabot Cat

Banned
One of Bush's first actions as President was to end price controls on domestic oil, which he hoped would combat the on-going energy crisis. Faced with a recession in the summer, he also signed into law several large cuts in personal income tax, along with the continuation of the deregulation that Carter had oversaw.

Bush also drastically increased military spending combined with fiery rhetoric aimed at the Soviet Union. He also continued the covert support of the Iran military that had started under Carter, despite publicly maintaining neutrality. On June 3rd 1982, a ceasefire was negotiated, as Iran had recovered most of its territory. In exchange for pulling their military out completely of Iran, Iraq received the hostages from the Soviet embassy who were then returned to their homes, after more than a year and a half of confinement.

Meanwhile, Bush's approval ratings were starting to plunge due to the on-going recession, and the 1982 mid-term Congressional elections saw Democrats regain many of the seats they lost in 1980. Another major domestic issue was the on-going ISIS (Immunosuppressive Infection Syndrome) pandemic, which many in the LGBT community accused the President of ignoring. In 1983, Bush commented that “ISIS is a disease spread by personal behavior, so the people already have a means to control the rate of infection”.

Adding to the nation's woes, on February 22nd 1984 the Space Shuttle Columbia exploded mid-flight. A defective O-ring subject to unusually cold temperatures was partially to blame, along with the hamstrung budget that NASA had been contending with. Bush was on a diplomatic mission to El Salvador at the time, and was thus unable to make a televised address until the following day. Because of this and a somewhat remarkable lack of charisma, by the time the Democratic National Convention in July came around, there was some chance of victory against Bush even though the economy was recovering. Gary Hart and his running mate Lloyd Bentsen were thus the people to challenge the incumbent President Bush and Vice President Bob Dole. Despite their optimism, on November 6th 1984, the Hart/Bentsen ticket only managed to carry D.C. (3), Hawaii, (4) Maryland (10), Massachusetts (13), Minnesota (10), Rhode Island (4), and Wisconsin (11) for a combined 55 Electoral College votes, handing Bush a landslide victory with 484 votes across 43 states.

Last edited:

Sabot Cat

Banned
How did Bush get to be president? lLast I knew the 1980 election was headed to the Democratic controlled House.

I revised the story last you checked on it, as noted three posts above. I thought having the election go to the House twice was both illogical and kind of a rehash of the 1976 election. Sorry about that, but I just needed to change it. X3

I revised the story last you checked on it, as noted three posts above. I thought having the election go to the House twice was both illogical and kind of a rehash of the 1976 election. Sorry about that, but I just needed to change it. X3

The electoral college will survive.

Sabot Cat

Banned
Meanwhile, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan began to run into the problem of an empowered Iran, where over a Afghan million refugees sought shelter while they provided arms to the Hazara and other Shia troops, helping to unify them into one faction by 1985. Many in the region feared Iran's growing strength, and began to build up monetary and military support for Iraq to launch a second invasion. Among them were Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Jordan. The Soviet Union also provided equipment, hoping to disrupt the Iranian involvement in Afghanistan. Other foreign contributors were China, France and the United Kingdom. Thus on March 11th 1985, Iraq unleashed a surprise invasion of Iran, beginning the Second Iran-Iraq War.

President Bush feared that Iraq would facilitate the creation of a Soviet foothold in Iran, giving them control of the Persian Gulf and a near monopoly on oil supplies in Eurasia when considered with their alliances with the aforementioned oil producing nations. Thus even more military aid was poured into Iran as a part of the blueprint for rollback against communist influence drafted by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.

In addition to operations in Cambodia, other covet support included the support of the Contras in Nicaragua, whose funding was prohibited by Congress in the the Moynihan Amendment. Bush nonetheless facilitated further CIA activities without the approval or knowledge of Congress (in direct violation of the Hughes-Ryan Act as the well Intelligence Supervision Act of 1981). Bush also supported UNITA in Angola in violation of the Clark Amendment, by using Israel as a proxy.

On April 7th 1987, the USS La Salle was damaged by Iraqi missiles, killing 46 people on board and injuring hundreds others. The Iraqi government claimed that this was a case of mistaken identity, but nonetheless it was used as a justification for Operation Serpent Strike, an amphibious assault on Iraqi assets by U.S. Naval forces beginning on April 11th of the same year.

These policies might have continued indefinitely if not for Celerino Castillo, who found out about the CIA's support of the Contras through his work for the DEA. He collected evidence of the illegal U.S. operations in Nicaragua before going to the press on May 30th 1987. President George Bush attempts to create a commission to investigate, but House Judiciary Committee Chairman Peter W. Rodino Jr. believed that as a former Director of Central Intelligence the President could not be given the benefit of the doubt in overseeing an internal review. On September 12th 1987, the Senate created a Select Committee. and called several high-ranking officials in the CIA to testify about their activities. After several legal hoops were jumped through and a series of fingers were pointed, the current Director of the CIA revealed the full extent of the rollback operations and several overlapping testimonies revealed that Bush had personally ordered the burning of several key documents in March 1988.

George H.W. Bush claimed that he had no involvement, and that the CIA was working almost independently. The public's lukewarm reception of him began to morph into hate, with such slogans as “Bush: Crook or Fool?” being spread across the media. Meanwhile, operations in Nicaragua, Angola and other locations came to screeching halts, while the covert funding of Afghan insurgents and the Iranian military continued because they both had Congressional knowledge and approval.

Bush feared that further investigation might endanger more operations and cause the removal of more agents, while an impeachment trial could drag down his supporters and his party. Thus, George H.W. Bush made this statement on June 16th 1988 “I believe that my colleagues always tried to do their best for this Nation. And in recognition of their patriotism, and the demands placed upon me to fulfill the will of the People, I shall resign as President tomorrow at noon. Although I did not do anything to betray your trust while serving you, I do not want you all to endure another long, drawn out trial for my own personal gain. I pray that the future of this country is as bright as the hope America gives the world”. Many political scientists would later see this resignation as too preemptive, but it was an effective attempt to save face for himself and his party.

Bob Dole thus became the 44th President of the United States on June 17th 1988. The Republican primaries were by the change, but he nonetheless won the nomination, as Jack Kemp became his running mate. Meanwhile, Michael Dukakis won the Democratic primaries, and chose Lloyd Bentsen to add to his ticket. Despite Contragate, Dole still consistently polled over Dukakis by a thin margin, which caused some political commentators to label Republicans the “Teflon Party”. In the debates, neither performed very well, and both were criticized for seeming passionless, “Bob Dull” in particular. On top of the disillusionment carried in by yet another Presidential scandal, voter turnout had dropped to 49.1% by the time of the elections (the lowest it had been since 1924, when voter turnout was at 48.9%).

In the end, Dukakis won Washington (10), Illinois (24), Pennsylvania (25), Maryland (10), Vermont (3), Wisconsin (11), Missouri (11), New York (36), Oregon (7), West Virginia (6), New Mexico (5), Connecticut (8), Minnesota (10), Massachusetts (13), Hawaii (4), D.C. (3), Iowa (8), New York (36), Rhode Island (4), West Virginia (6) and California (47) for a total of 287 Electoral College votes versus Dole, who received 251 votes across 30 states. Thus on January 20th 1989, Michael Dukakis became the 45th President of the United States.

Last edited:
Carter was outraged, as California and Washington both had laws prohibiting such practices. Thus he took his plight to the Supreme Court, who ruled on December 12th 1980 in the case Carter v. Bush that electors have a constitutional freedom to vote as they may chose in the electoral college, and that state governments do not have the power to enforce pledges, despite retaining the ability to require them (Ray v. Blair). Thus, on January 20th 1981, George H.W. Bush became the 42nd President of the United States.

I can't see the Supreme Court making a ruling like that, which is practically along the lines of Bush v. Gore. The Constitution, Article II, Sec 1, Cla 2 says as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The states are in charge of the appointment of electors, and they choose to do so via popular vote. 200 years ago OTL, several states simply had state legislators vote on who the electors would vote for in the presidential election. Got a little undemocratic after a while so hence popular vote is used by all states.

Now, combine that with say the text of the fourteenth, nineteenth, and twenty-sixth amendments.

14th Amendment, Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

19th Amendment: The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

26th Amendment: The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

This means the right of men and women over the age of 18th to vote cannot be infringed upon. Considering that electors are not voting the way the states' population has desired to, the electors are disenfranchising voters, meaning their votes are not respected. The 14th amendment specifies that a state that allows disenfranchisement of its voters shall have their congressional representation reduced proportionate to the number of voters who have been disenfranchised. So a state is well within its constitutional rights to require electors to vote as pledged, in order to comply with the fourteenth amendment, and everyone's vote is counted. They are granted the power to appoint electors by Article II in whatever manner they see fit, including requiring pledged electors.

Not to mention the Supreme Court was something like 5 or 6 justices on the liberal spectrum at the time, can't see them making a ruling that is inherently pro Republican and opens the door for undemocratic practices.

End, result, Carter is still president on January 20th, 1981, only this time he has a Republican VP, a Republican Senate, and if he decides to speak to the AFL-CIO in March...... Well, then things get interesting.

Sabot Cat

Banned
I can't see the Supreme Court making a ruling like that, which is practically along the lines of Bush v. Gore. The Constitution, Article II, Sec 1, Cla 2 says as follows:

The states are in charge of the appointment of electors, and they choose to do so via popular vote. 200 years ago OTL, several states simply had state legislators vote on who the electors would vote for in the presidential election. Got a little undemocratic after a while so hence popular vote is used by all states.

The popular vote is effectively irrelevant to who ultimately becomes President.

Now, combine that with say the text of the fourteenth, nineteenth, and twenty-sixth amendments.

This means the right of men and women over the age of 18th to vote cannot be infringed upon. Considering that electors are not voting the way the states' population has desired to, the electors are disenfranchising voters, meaning their votes are not respected.

The people are still technically able to vote, but the electoral college is a committee of appointees that places votes, who are in no way constitutionally obliged to follow the popular vote of their state (unless dictated to do so by state law), and especially are not constitutionally obliged to follow through with what they pledge.

Not to mention the Supreme Court was something like 5 or 6 justices on the liberal spectrum at the time, can't see them making a ruling that is inherently pro Republican and opens the door for undemocratic practices.

This ruling wouldn't be inherently pro-Republican, considering the circumstances could happen in reverse.

Wouldn't the sudden, retroactive implementation of a federal prohibition against faithless electors, which had been a component of national elections for a while now, be an example of ex post facto law? Could Bush be grandfathered in while Carter v. Bush rules against such things happening in the future?

Side political rant: The Electoral College is a means to disenfranchise voters anyway. It gives equal clout to states with slaves or without women being able to vote, for instance.

Last edited:
I am so happy that the Duke won.My 1988 efforts finally bare fruit. I am really looking forward to what he can do with the Supreme Court. I am assuming that wWilliam Brennen, Byron White, Thurgood Marshall and Harry Blackmun all retire during the Duke's term. oOf course I am trying not to think of him losing to Bob Dole in 1992.

Sabot Cat

Banned
I am so happy that the Duke won.My 1988 efforts finally bare fruit. I am really looking forward to what he can do with the Supreme Court. I am assuming that wWilliam Brennen, Byron White, Thurgood Marshall and Harry Blackmun all retire during the Duke's term. oOf course I am trying not to think of him losing to Bob Dole in 1992.

Hmm, I didn't even consider those butterflies! Thanks for mentioning it. I'm not sure if I can work into the main historical segments, but the Duke's Supreme Court appointments: Stephen Breyer, Ruth Ginsburg, Harry T. Edwards and Gilbert S. Merritt, Jr. =)

Hmm, I didn't even consider those butterflies! Thanks for mentioning it. I'm not sure if I can work into the main historical segments, but the Duke's Supreme Court appointments: Stephen Breyer, Ruth Ginsburg, Harry T. Edwards and Gilbert S. Merritt, Jr. =)

I agree with Stephen Breyer, Ruth Ginsburg, Harry T. Edwards but I think the other seat goes to Laurence Tribe.

Another minor quibble: in 1984, Delaware was a swing state, so if Bush is winning in a landslide, that's a state he's going to take.

Sabot Cat

Banned
Another minor quibble: in 1984, Delaware was a swing state, so if Bush is winning in a landslide, that's a state he's going to take.

Thanks for that, I've revised accordingly. =)

Now, time for things to get... alternate. The 1988-1992 period was one of the most complicated stretches of time due to all of the butterflies in the USSR's collapse and the Gulf War, and that's why the update is going to be very large and divergent.