1973: The Year of the Four Presidents

Sabot Cat

Banned
And you're continuing!

I honestly expected you to end after the excellent first part, which seemed quite able to stand on its own - but I'll keep watching; let's hope this TL can get even better!

Well I was planning on it actually, but the implications were too interesting not to explore, I think.

Anyway, I'm making the 1976 Presidential Election and I'm not exactly sure who should be the Democratic nominees. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
I think with the Agnew scandal and with the post mortum revelations of Nixon's guilt, I think Jimmy Carter's I will never lie to you has some appeal. I don;t think there is anything in this TL that inspires Jerry Brown to get in the race earlier. Maybe Mo Uddall is possibility.

I would imagine that he would be remembered with nearly untempered fondness.

People didn't like Nixon personally. They just thought he did a good job. People liked Kennedy personally and approved of him presidentially.

The public's reaction to Nixon will be far different than Kennedy. Kennedy was a promise for a future, which left deep psychological scars on the nation like a rape. Nixon will have been a personally divisive figure who on the whole did a very good job as president and will be reviewed as such.

Sabot Cat

Banned
Highlights from the '73: YotFP Timeline

The Democratic primaries in July 1976 saw Jimmy Carter barely edging out Mo Udall, with Walter Mondale as his running mate. Carter ran on a platform centered on honesty, and pledged to "Restore America", earning broad support from his party. In contrast to this relatively serene process, the Republican primaries were utter chaos, with moderates being pitted against conservatives. Many Republicans were displeased with Ford's "weakness" as the oil embargo, the fall of Vietnam, the Helsinki Deceleration and the concession of the Panama Canal all seemed to suggest a decline for the United States' prestige. Leading these outspoken critics was Ronald Reagan, a formidable contender for the Republican primaries, channeling public discontent into a strong campaign that had been going since the fall of 1975. One noteworthy speech heightened national attention to his candidacy: "A democracy is a government where the people choose who represents them. I believe that it is the most important thing that this country stands for. But I do not believe that our liberal friends in Congress value the representation of the people's interests like I do. If they did, why would they appoint such an obvious puppet like Gerald Ford to be President? We've made so many concessions abroad, but are we willing to concede the very idea of democracy in America? Will we let a government of the people, for the people, and by the people perish from this Earth? Or will we fight for freedom?"

"Fight For Freedom'" soon became Reagan's slogan, and the Republicans he became the voice for were the 'Freedom Fighters'. The Freedom Fighters distinguished themselves from the likes of Spiro Agnew by emphasizing the reduction of the size of government. They led a very visible campaign for an amendment requiring legislative approval of Presidential pardons, but it narrowly failed to pass because of its questionable constitutionality. Due to the Freedom Fighters, Ford's early edge earned by the bicentennial shuttle launch was soon being dulled in August, but this was nothing compared to what would happen in coming months.

Due to Spiro Agnew's conspiratorial charges, along with the rumors surrounding the deaths of JFK and Martin Luther King, the United States House of Representatives Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA) was founded in March 1976 to more thoroughly investigate matters. Gerald Ford wished to turn over Nixon's White House tape recordings as evidence after he learned of them, but he was advised by his Chief of Staff H.R. Halderman and his Counsel John Dean to not admit them for the HSCA due to containing 'highly sensitive information that could compromise national security'. The HSCA learned of the tapes existence while interviewing Alexander Butterfield on May 17th 1976. The HSCA requested that they be turned over in full, and Ford went against the advice of some of his staff in doing so because he didn't want to look like he was involved in a cover-up related to Nixon's death.

On June 5th, selected contents of the tapes were released to the public and Nixon's involvement in the cover up of the Watergate burglary became clear. A shocking number of high ranking officials in Ford's staff were soon faced with criminal charges, and his campaign team disintegrated before his eyes. With Ford's own re-election campaign revealed to be plagued with corruption, Ronald Reagan became the Republican nominee for President in August, with Richard Schweiker as his running mate.

So who will win the election of 1976: Reagan or Carter?

Last edited:
People didn't like Nixon personally. They just thought he did a good job. People liked Kennedy personally and approved of him presidentially.

The public's reaction to Nixon will be far different than Kennedy. Kennedy was a promise for a future, which left deep psychological scars on the nation like a rape. Nixon will have been a personally divisive figure who on the whole did a very good job as president and will be reviewed as such.

When it becomes public knowledge that Nixon had obstructed justice, Nixon's image takes quite a hit.

So who will win the election of 1976: Reagan or Carter?[/QUOTE]

Carter, Reagan is running on the president's party in bad economic times. More importantly, he has alienated moderates and independents. Democrats who do not have to play defense can paint him as an extremist. I don't know how to do a map but I think Carter carries Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York. New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, DC, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Missouri, Arkansas, Georgia and Florida for 311 electoral votes.

Agreed and since he just lost an election and is getting on a bit, it's likely he won't be the candidate in '80 which can only be for the better. It's very rare for a losing candidate to run again in modern times, and given how things turned out in the Reagan years...

Agreed and since he just lost an election and is getting on a bit, it's likely he won't be the candidate in '80 which can only be for the better. It's very rare for a losing candidate to run again in modern times, and given how things turned out in the Reagan years...

That's true. It used to happen more often, but nowadays the furthest an unsuccessful candidate can expect to get is the primaries and still hope to have another chance to run.

Sabot Cat

Banned
Highlights from the '73: YotFP Timeline

Reagan and Carter were soon neck and neck in the polls, as well as equally matched on the debate room floor. Both represented change that the United States was desperately looking for, but in two radically different ways. Reagan earned broad appeal due to Schweiker's liberal Republican credentials, while Carter had the advantage of a struggling economy and a sudden switch in candidates. Unfortunately, the nightmarish uncertainty that had been lingering since the assassination of Richard Nixon reared its ugly head once again on election night.

Carter won Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Reagan won Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming. The electoral college was thus tied with 269 to 269 votes while Reagan had won the popular vote by 0.6%.

There were no faithless electors, as all of them feared the potential crisis that could arise from shifting their votes, and thus it was up to the 95th Congress to decide who would be President and Vice President. The Democratic majorities in both houses voted as expected on January 6th, as the House of Representatives elected Carter and the Senate elected Mondale. On January 20th 1977, James Earl Carter became the 41st President of the United States, the fourth in a row to come into office without winning the Presidential election proper.

Last edited:
Reagan and Carter were soon neck and neck in Reagan had won the popular vote by 0.6%.

As the popular vote loser, Carter is in trouble.

37th: Richard Nixon (January 20th 1969-January 31st 1973)
38th: Spiro Agnew (January 31st 1973-May 7th 1973)
39th: Carl Albert (May 7th 1973-July 4th 1973)
40th: Gerald Ford (July 4th 1973-January 20th 1977)

A quick question . Why would Carl Albert in a democratic party dominated Senate pick a Republican Gerald Ford to be his VEEP?

Sabot Cat

Banned
The last post was a great read but I think my prediction is more accurate.

Thanks, and I'll go more into depth with how I got the results I did. Essentially, Carter kept all of the states he carried in OTL with the exception of Mississippi (won by 1.88%) and Ohio (won by 0.27%), and the addition of Maine (lost by 0.84%). Reagan performed slightly better than Ford did, because he did not have the same amount of time from August to November to have any gaffes or have any scandals come about, nor did he have the pardon controversy to contend with. He also successfully separated himself as a populist more than anything, and the electoral margins seemed slim enough to swing to a tie.

As the popular vote loser, Carter is in trouble.

Indeed.

I wonder how much of that is because of self-perception of failure, considering that Reagan believed himself to be the true winner of the election...

A quick question . Why would Carl Albert in a democratic party dominated Senate pick a Republican Gerald Ford to be his VEEP?

Carl Albert didn't want to engage in a transparent power grab on behalf of his party in the midst of the Watergate scandal, and stated in our own timeline that he would resign if he should become president he would resign once a Republican successor could be secured.

Never underestimate Carter's ability to fuck up.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks! =)

Last edited:

Because he felt he (a Democrat) didn't have the right to take the seat of a Republican elected President, and didn't want to be President in the first place, and Agnew refused to appoint anyone as he claimed the Democrats would refuse anyone anyways.

Because he felt he (a Democrat) didn't have the right to take the seat of a Republican elected President.

Really? Governors do it all the time in appointing Senators from their own party when the person who had the job was from another party. I have been in politics for some time now and there is NO way a Republican gets the Presidency handed to him like that. Any more if a Democrat had the job and a Republican would pick a Democrat. But this is AH and this scenario has been fun to read. But it is way over the top. The most likely person to get the job I would think would have Humphrey. This a few years before HHH knows about his cancer. But I like the story you have written so far.

Because he felt he (a Democrat) didn't have the right to take the seat of a Republican elected President, and didn't want to be President in the first place, and Agnew refused to appoint anyone as he claimed the Democrats would refuse anyone anyways.

Makes sense, that.

President Albert would probably go down as having one of the shortest administrations in history, though not the shortest. He would probably also be among the more respected Presidents in recent history, remembered as the man who had the opportunity to seize the highest office in the land against the results of the last election, and to do it all within the limits of the law, and refused because he felt it would be wrong.

There's a legacy worth leaving behind.

Really? Governors do it all the time in appointing Senators from their own party when the person who had the job was from another party. I have been in politics for some time now and there is NO way a Republican gets the Presidency handed to him like that. Any more if a Democrat had the job and a Republican would pick a Democrat. But this is AH and this scenario has been fun to read. But it is way over the top. The most likely person to get the job I would think would have Humphrey. This a few years before HHH knows about his cancer. But I like the story you have written so far.

Yeah but that's state politics, and often those appointments are interm ones, and are usually replaced come the next special election in at most 2 years. Doing so with the Presidency would have tarnished the Democratic Party's image, and considering the election was only 2 years away, it wouldn't have been that worth it.

Makes sense, that.

President Albert would probably go down as having one of the shortest administrations in history, though not the shortest. He would probably also be among the more respected Presidents in recent history, remembered as the man who had the opportunity to seize the highest office in the land against the results of the last election, and to do it all within the limits of the law, and refused because he felt it would be wrong.

Indeed, he would be a Cincinnatus of our times.

Sabot Cat

Banned
Because he felt he (a Democrat) didn't have the right to take the seat of a Republican elected President.

Indeed, but Carl Albert was a rare individual. And if you want to be cynical, this is a good opportunity to look good compared to the disgraced Republican Party.

Makes sense, that.

Indeed, he would be a Cincinnatus of our times.

He consistently appears on lists of the greatest Presidents in the YotFP timeline because of that.