Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

wHRd2h2XtVN4lP2s6cdQ23EA6dj9TQuL9sb1Ur3sIzwscZFDHy8yp1Y8G3rSEFYJaTvxb9ywC-Zs4OVv0m-3n-UDbl9tjqteEOS2u3ivMHITKsioPhDD2YQcHthQ8wkgePPv2Bwf_z_KdGNoSJ1WKuPr

Starved Andersonville prisoners
Picture's busted.

Also huzzah!

An absolute triumph @Red_Galiray, bravo.

The contrast from how the war began and how it ends will always be fascinating to me. The South, aggressive and outraged, starting the war having pushed even farther with the admittance of Kansas and an even more lopsided Dred Scott. That they took and burned DC, held it for as long as they did, prosecuted the war more 'successfully.'

And all it gets them is the war lasting about as long as OTL, but with anarchy and total collapse. No handshake, no peace with honor, defeated utterly. Unironically you could make a joke about the "star that shines twice" here, given what the victory disease from the first part of the war did to the confederate psyche.

<snip>So Jackson’s dead, Toombs suicided, Joe Johnston surrendered and Beauregard escaped. Wonder what Beauregard will do - he apparently thought about becoming a mercenary general, but often gave up. ITTL he could be one to eke out a living and become the bogeyman for a Confederate government in exile.
I doubt that very much. What government in Europe would both grant Beauregard asylum (Judah Benjamin got asylum from the Brits) AND allow him to operate as a Confederate "government-in-exile"? The British would never do it, and I could easily see an eventual Third Republic France even handing him over to the Americans :eek: IF Beauregard ever tried such shenanigans whilst living in Paris!

EDIT: IF the British did so, you would be poisoning Anglo-American relations for many years to come. Not to mention that the Brits would be setting themselves up for an eventual (ITTL version) Easter Sunday seeing survivors fleeing to America. With rich Americans (and the US government?) supporting their "Free Irish government-in-exile"!🇮🇪 :love: :rolleyes::p

Last edited:
I doubt that very much. What government in Europe would both grant Beauregard asylum (Judah Benjamin got asylum from the Brits) AND allow him to operate as a Confederate "government-in-exile"? The British would never do it, and I could easily see an eventual Third Republic France even handing him over to the Americans :eek: IF Beauregard ever tried such shenanigans whilst living in Paris!

EDIT: IF the British did so, you would be poisoning Anglo-American relations for many years to come. Not to mention that the Brits would be setting themselves up for an eventual (ITTL version) Easter Sunday seeing survivors fleeing to America. With rich Americans (and the US government?) supporting their "Free Irish government-in-exile"!🇮🇪 :love: :rolleyes::p
Nah, I am referencing previous discussions, wherein Republican newspapers ITTL might use the imaginary threat of a Confederate government in exile prowling in Europe as a means of "waving the bloody shirt" in the next decades. That said, Toombs IOTL ran around Europe after the war, trying to raise support for the South and most people just nodded along and let him rant and rave while he was there without repercussion. Toombs’ OTL return to the United States was of his own free will and basically permitted by Andy Johnson.

Who knows where Beauregard will go anyway? Mexico? Cuba? China? Egypt?

Amazing job, incredibly well done.

There might not have been a climactic battle, but I would say the reunion of Garland white with his mom was a climax. and really very fitting to conclude the beginn8ng of attempts to get all the destroyed familiesback together.
It will be interesting to see, with the Civil Rights act of 1865 now in place, if
Black businesses will spring up to rebuild Washington DC. It would be a nice touch for the nation's rebuilt capital to be constructed with free black companies and prospering blacks who are starting to thrive.

But, that is for the Reconstruction timeline. this has been an amazing ride so far, congratulations on completing it.

As the Union army marches into Richmond.

As he died to make men holy, so they have been victorious to make men free.

Excellent TL @Red_Galiray one of the best I've ever read, top 5 easily. And I know it's already been said, but the anti-climax for the south is fitting. The true climax I'd say is Garland reuniting with his mother.

I can't wait for the climax and for the epilogue!

EDIT: Lol, I swear I wasn't ripping you off @DTF955Baseballfan I was typing my response at the same time you were.

Last edited:
Nah, I am referencing previous discussions, wherein Republican newspapers ITTL might use the imaginary threat of a Confederate government in exile prowling in Europe as a means of "waving the bloody shirt" in the next decades. That said, Toombs IOTL ran around Europe after the war, trying to raise support for the South and most people just nodded along and let him rant and rave while he was there without repercussion. Toombs’ OTL return to the United States was of his own free will and basically permitted by Andy Johnson.

Hello,

IDK, but John Surratt, the sole survivor of Booth's plot to assassinate Lincoln (he fled to Canada), had to fly VERY far indeed in the end. He was found hiding out as a mercenary member of the Pope's Papal States army! He fled to Egypt, but was arrested there and extradited back to the US.
Sadly, the statute of limitations had mostly expired, and for the crimes remaining, he was tried by a Maryland court. The trail ended as a mistrial (8-4 to acquit), and he was never retried.

ITTL, I wonder...wouldn't Beauregard be seen as too much of a hot potato for any country to tolerate?

Last edited:
I see the confederate government is gone. Good riddance.

I can't to see the demographics of the south once reconstruction is put into full swing. I love to see how the various immigrant groups will try and carve out their own piece of land in the south.

Honestly the most surprising thing at the end for me was Toombs giving his slaves his home in his will. Also him having enough of a heart to give the last of the gold to whatever soldiers make it through town at the end.

Well, it's finally over. Was one hell of a ride, but finally the monster is dead.

Old John Brown can rest easily knowing that the scourge of slavery shall be thoroughly eradicated from the face of the US.

Looking forwards to how Reconstruction will look like.

An elderly woman then approached him and asked him several questions, such as his name, where he was born, and the name of his mother. After he answered, the woman exclaimed amidst tears of joy: “this is your mother, Garland, whom you are now talking to, who has spent twenty years of grief about her son.”
This is the moment that encapsulates the entire story. A free black man that has proven he's as good or better than the common white man of the South finally meeting one of his loved ones that was lost to the barbary of the slaveholders.