WI John McCain wins 2000 nomination

I'm surprised no one has brought up Pat Buchanan yet. The John McCain of 2000 is the anti-Buchanan -- interventionist, pro-immigration, and generally not comfortable talking about the culture wars. McCain's long stint in DC and his chumminess with the press corps would open him to anti-establishment attacks from the right in ways that Buchanan couldn't really attack Bush, who -- despite being the son of a former president and grandson of a senator -- was really, really good at selling his "aw shucks" country shtick as if that made him a political outsider. This could end up being an election with a conservative third party spoiler instead of a liberal one.i
It's a possibility of Buchanan getting a larger vote slice and his candidacy being more meaningful than it was in OTL 2000. I'll grant you that McCain's maverick-ness and heterodoxy from movement conservative positions opens the door to that.

But I am still baffled by the perception of my most active correspondents here (about year 2000 politics, not current politics) that the GOP candidate in the general election fares worse by being identified more closely with the center than the right. It is as the argument is, for the *general election* of 2000, the king making factor is the pleasure or displeasure of the movement conservative wing of the Republican Party.

It seems to me that in general elections in general, especially at the turn of the last century, the candidate grabbing the center is more favored than a candidate from the wings, especially if there's any party fatigue or 'change sentiment'.

If McCain is unable to generate a minimum threshold of Republican voter enthusiasm and engagement that would be helpful in the general election, then he simply wouldn't be able to secure the GOP nomination in the first place that cycle....full stop.

Even with McCain as nominee, Republicans are going to want to win, right? And wouldn't Republican tastemakers in Congress, talk radio, and early Fox News, and habitual voters, love to embrace the contrast between hawkish war hero McCain, who has his own views of 'national greatness conservatives', against Al Gore, his links with Clinton and his scandals, China related fund-raising, his somewhat lispy (dare I say, unmasculine?) voice, and his "I invented the internet", pro-gun control, and "loopy environmentalist" positions? Then combine that with biases from the mainstream non-partisan political reporting press, who always found McCain delightful, the female reporters wanted to be with him, and the male reporters wanted to be him, they loved visiting his place in Arizona and sitting on the tire swing. Meanwhile, they'd ridiculed Gore for years as stiff, boring, a know-it-all, a robot who they didn't like and certainly the average American voter they'd encounter in a diner safari, Homo Plate-O'Hash-icus, would never want to have a beer with.

No 2003 invasion of Iraq.
I think he would probably do it, because there was a lot of seeming expert opinion behind it, and people in both parties inclined to regard a showdown with Saddam as inevitable and necessary, sooner or later. Republicans would support it more than Democrats of course, and as it came into focus, more people would get skittish and raise cogent objections, but he'd do it.

As a combat veteran, with a media reputation as an unfiltered "straight talker" and *not the son of a man who Saddam Hussein tried to assassinate* people all around would have somewhat fewer suspicions of his motives in moving to war with Iraq. Mind you that doesn't make the war "work", but there's not the same built up presumption of bad faith from the start.

Beginning on Feb. 7, the McCain campaign initiates a three-pronged offensive on the Clinton administration, the Bush campaign, and big business. The "Power Ads", as Larry King coins them on his show three days later, are run on TV and the radio; they focus on McCain's character, career, and family. It highlights his experience during and after being captured in Vietnam and his votes in the Senate against both the Republican leadership and the Democratic party. Probably the most infamous of these describes his affairs during his first marriage, his misplaced friendship with the disgraced banker Charles Keating Jr, and how these challenges among others taught him how to build and support his family.

Reactions to this so-called "Redemption" commercial are mixed, especially among evangelical voters whose support for Governor George Bush increases after the airing and some like former candidate, Alan Keyes, call for him to drop out of the race or denounce him as morally unfit for public office like Jerry Falwell while others such as the famous preacher, Bill Graham, and the famed civil rights activist, Coretta Scott King defend him. An unexpected defender of John McCain is the president of the conservative evangelical Bob Jones University, Bob Jones III who publicly states that Senator McCain had "atoned for his sins". The Bush campaign along with businesses and special interests hostile to McCain relentlessly pound him in negative ads that attack his record on veterans, businesses, crime, and taxes. Twelve days and hundreds of soundbites later, McCain narrowly wins out in the South Carolina primary 48% to Bush's 47%.

Last edited:

bguy

Donor
But I am still baffled by the perception of my most active correspondents here (about year 2000 politics, not current politics) that the GOP candidate in the general election fares worse by being identified more closely with the center than the right. It is as the argument is, for the *general election* of 2000, the king making factor is the pleasure or displeasure of the movement conservative wing of the Republican Party.

Bush wasn't seen as particularly radical in 2000 though. He campaigned as a "reformer with results", stressed his bipartisan credentials on how he had been able to work effectively as governor with the Democrats who controlled the Texas state legislature, and his platform called for adding a prescription drug benefit to Medicare and massively increasing federal spending on education (not exactly hard right positions.)

McCain also has a number of weaknesses as a candidate. He isn't particularly interested in domestic policy, and it shows. (The only domestic policy issues that McCain ever showed any real interest in were campaign finance reform and balanced budgets, neither of which are issues that fire up the voting public.) He is strong on defense and foreign policy issues, but 2000 was very much a domestic policy election. And as we saw during the 2008 campaign McCain's own political instincts are pretty poor. Witness him thinking that it would be a good idea to make Joe Lieberman his veep (something that would have produced a convention revolt) or his attempt to delay the presidential debate because of the economic crisis (a rather silly idea, that resulted in McCain look panicky, and Obama looking calm and statesmanlike.) He also had a pretty poor campaign organization. Witness its utter failure to properly vet Sarah Palin, and its dismal fund raising numbers. Now add in McCain's enthusiasm problem with conservative voters on top of all his other weaknesses as a candidate, and it is very easy to imagine him doing significantly worse than Bush did.

Even with McCain as nominee, Republicans are going to want to win, right? And wouldn't Republican tastemakers in Congress, talk radio, and early Fox News, and habitual voters, love to embrace the contrast between hawkish war hero McCain, who has his own views of 'national greatness conservatives', against Al Gore, his links with Clinton and his scandals, China related fund-raising, his somewhat lispy (dare I say, unmasculine?) voice, and his "I invented the internet", pro-gun control, and "loopy environmentalist" positions?

McCain has his own vulnerabilities on the scandal front though. Trying to link Gore to the Clinton scandals will just make McCain vulnerable to attacks over the Keating 5 scandal and remind people of McCain's own martial infidelity.

And McCain himself is likely to criticize any personal attacks on Gore. (Just as he did IOTL in 2008 when his supporters made personal attacks on Obama.)

Beginning on Feb. 7, the McCain campaign initiates a three-pronged offensive on the Clinton administration, the Bush campaign, and big business. The "Power Ads", as Larry King coins them on his show three days later, are run on TV and the radio; they focus on McCain's character, career, and family. It highlights his experience during and after being captured in Vietnam and his votes in the Senate against both the Republican leadership and the Democratic party. Probably the most infamous of these describes his affairs during his first marriage, his misplaced friendship with the disgraced banker Charles Keating Jr, and how these challenges among others taught him how to build and support his family.

Reactions to this so-called "Redemption" commercial are mixed, especially among evangelical voters whose support for Governor George Bush increases after the airing and some like former candidate, Alan Keyes, calls for him to drop out of the race or denouncing him as morally unfit for public office like Jerry Falwell. while others such as the famous preacher, Bill Graham, and famous civil rights activist, Coretta Scott King defend him. An unexpected defender of John McCain is the president of the conservative evangelical Bob Jones University, Bob Jones III who publicly states that Senator McCain had "atoned for his sins". The Bush campaign along with businesses and special interests hostile to McCain pound him in negative ads that attack his record on veterans, businesses, crime, and taxes. Twelve days and hundreds of soundbites later, McCain narrowly wins out in the South Carolina primary 48% to Bush's 47%.
Nice touch with Bob Jones support.

Random favorable support from a southern (and racist) clergyman can be helpful to McCain in the region, as could a a redemption narrative. I get the feeling that in the Bible Belt, oftentimes the reformed (heterosexual) sinner who is redeemed in some way, at least if they make a couple mandatory mentions of the big G or JC, is way more beloved and appreciated than the pious person who has simply been a well-behaved straight-arrow their whole lives. Eff up your life enough to have to be born again seems to be a culturally well-received story arc in the Bible Belt over some of the more stodgy story arcs of New England or Upper Midwest old-line, personally conservative, cold-blooded, restrained, blue-blooded, WASPs and Catholics.

McCain also has a number of weaknesses as a candidate. He isn't particularly interested in domestic policy, and it shows. (The only domestic policy issues that McCain ever showed any real interest in were campaign finance reform and balanced budgets, neither of which are issues that fire up the voting public.) He is strong on defense and foreign policy issues, but 2000 was very much a domestic policy election. And as we saw during the 2008 campaign McCain's own political instincts are pretty poor. Witness him thinking that it would be a good idea to make Joe Lieberman his veep (something that would have produced a convention revolt) or his attempt to delay the presidential debate because of the economic crisis (a rather silly idea, that resulted in McCain look panicky, and Obama looking calm and statesmanlike.) He also had a pretty poor campaign organization. Witness its utter failure to properly vet Sarah Palin, and its dismal fund raising numbers. Now add in McCain's enthusiasm problem with conservative voters on top of all his other weaknesses as a candidate, and it is very easy to imagine him doing significantly worse than Bush did.
These are good points, and I would not dismiss them as irrelevant in a 2000 election versus 2008, but many of his shortcomings could well be less salient in 2000 than 2008.

His peak personal prestige ironically would have been as a candidate in 2004. Although the structure of the electoral system would not have supported his candidacy then of course.

By 2008, his foreign policy hawkishness was past its sell-by date. He had lost some of his uniqueness and maverick shine with media and the swing voting public having "come to J" with various conservative movement groups a couple years before the 2008 nominating process to make damn sure he wasn't denied the nomination. - So that reduced his aura of authenticity a little. Republicans were fatigued by Katrina, bad midterms, foreign policy failure, real estate crisis, and then Bush miscalculating on his support from the base with his Harriet Miers nomination. Bush throughout his term also failed to keep base GOP morale up by not being an early adopter of the anti-immigration message popular with party grassroots presaged by Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona and Tom Tancredo. And McCain wasn't any better on that. And then the financial troubles were the coup de grace, while the Dems picked an interesting, "all things to all people" nominee in Obama, who gave off a good 'cool as a cucumber' vibe in the crisis that served him well.

In 2000, the press and broadcast cable media's love affair with John McCain was in its early, ascending phase, and its hate affair with Al Gore was culminating.

And McCain himself is likely to criticize any personal attacks on Gore. (Just as he did IOTL in 2008 when his supporters made personal attacks on Obama.)
Attacks will be voiced anyway, and what he repudiates will depend on how personal, how over-the-line, and how unbelievable and outlandish the claims/attacks are. GOP outlets aren't going to be saying Gore is actually a foreigner or a Muslim. McCain could find it unobjectionable for surrogates to suggest Gore would go overboard on environmental regulation to the detriment of jobs and energy production. And he could see a good contrast between his support for campaign finance report and especially keeping *foreign* money out of American elections, and the never dismissed talk of Chinese ties to fundraising for Al Gore in the 1990s as fair game.

Bush wasn't seen as particularly radical in 2000 though. He campaigned as a "reformer with results", stressed his bipartisan credentials on how he had been able to work effectively as governor with the Democrats who controlled the Texas state legislature, and his platform called for adding a prescription drug benefit to Medicare and massively increasing federal spending on education (not exactly hard right positions.)
This is a great point, and actually I think it *strengthens* my point that conservative Republican voters did not need fan service for their pet ideological projects to turn out to help their nominee win the electoral college and come reasonably close to winning the popular vote in the 2000 campaign.

In fact, here is an under-appreciated fact of the 2000 Presidential campaign. Although the Republican, more conservative candidate won the EC in the disputed election, and did end taking a right turn on many policy areas, the dynamics of the major Party nominating contests and leading third party contender of the year did *not* show that the political energy and winds blowing against the political status quo were from the right, which had been visibly ascending since Newt Gingrich led the 1994 Republican revolution in Congress, and Fox News began to bring talk radio style to Cable News around 1999.

Nope, the surprising political energy and winds blowing against the status quo were ones coming from the discontented left. Within the Republican nominating contest, the main challenger to the George W. Bush dynastic succession was not a right-winger like Pat Buchanan or a Bible Belt evangelical or a single-minded tac-cutter, it was a relatively eclectic and moderate "maverick", John McCain. In the Democratic-nominating contest, the main challenger to Al Gore was not a dour, Clinton-scandal condemning moralist like Joe Lieberman, but Bill Bradley, who offered a critique from the left, offering a focus on reducing child poverty, in addition to a break from Clinton sleaze. And the most substantial and highest vote-totaling 3rd Party challenger was Ralph Nader, who challenged both major parties from the left, criticizing the pro-corporate, neoliberal order. Certainly, Pat Buchanan was in the race as well, as a lower tier challenger than Nader, under the Reform Party, offering a more conservative alternative on cultural issues. And he did stick with his culturally conservative positions. But he wasn't emphasizing mainstream orthodox movement conservative ideas across the board. He demographically experimented with a black female running mate, and his policy pitch was super-focused on foreign policy isolationism and trade-protectionism. Ultimately, even with the Nader vote peeling off some of the left flank, Gore won the popular vote, while Bush and Gore got within knife's edge on the EC, and Bush won in court.

Bush governed more conservative than he campaigned, enough that he lost his initial Senate majority with the defection of "Singing Senator" Jim Jeffords to the Democratic Senate Caucus, but came back strong to be able to govern conservatively the rest of his term, being given wide deference after 9/11 and bucking history by gaining seats for his Party in the 2002 midterms. His very conservative impact though should not obscure how contingent was the path that led him to those opportunities however.

Last edited:
against Al Gore, his links with Clinton and his scandals, China related fund-raising, his somewhat lispy (dare I say, unmasculine?) voice, and his "I invented the internet", pro-gun control, and "loopy environmentalist" positions?
I really don’t see this with Gore’s voice.

Now, with Bush, Sr, a little, mainly flames fanned by the media.

I really don’t see this with Gore’s voice.

Now, with Bush, Sr, a little, mainly flames fanned by the media.
All I can say is the Gore lisp is something a Republican friend of mine kept mentioning, along with other personality flaws and ways he saw Gore not being comfortable in his own skin. Some examples he cited were the way he dressed and did his hair differently in each of the three different debates, almost imitating the Reagan slick to the side look in one of them.

While I don't remember pundits speaking of the lisp specifically, I do remember commentary on Naomi Wolf advising him on wearing earth-tone suits, and a general supposition that he was working hard on being likable, because he....wasn't. There was a somewhat parallel dynamic with Kerry four years later.

the Gore lisp is something a Republican friend of mine kept mentioning, along with other personality flaws and ways he saw Gore not being comfortable in his own skin.
I will bet you the obligation to do a boring Congressional thread ! :openedeyewink:

that radio talk host Rush Limbaugh collected this early and amplified it , but probably did not originate it himself. Rush’s “genius” was knowing which horse to jump onto

Twelve days and hundreds of soundbites later, McCain narrowly wins out in the South Carolina primary 48% to Bush's 47%
I think McCain just had to be close!

One of the real flaws of our primary season is that if you lose an early primary BIG, you’re considered to be damaged goods or something like that. And yes, there’s obvious tension between this and the observation that Americans love a good redemption story.

Senator McCain's momentum surges following his surprise victory in South Carolina; he takes the Arizona and Michigan primaries by massive margins and pulls off a comfortable win in Virginia despite predictions of a close contest. His traction decelerates after a notable interview with Fox News on the Straight Talk Express when McCain was quoted as saying, "If Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell want to call themselves leaders to Christian conservatives, then they can have the guts to practice what they preach." This causes a backlash from the Republican base that allows Governor Bush to recover and cause a near-upset in the Washington primary before gaining a solid victory in North Dakota. Both of the candidates express confidence and enthusiasm, going into Super Tuesday, with John McCain and George Bush being projected to win eight and five contests respectively by early morning on March 11.

However, controversy quickly erupts when the California delegates are awarded to Governor Bush who wins the California Caucus 54% to 43% despite Senator McCain winning the primary, outraging McCain supporters. The Senator gives a speech a few days later at Fish Creek, Wisconsin; he points to California as an example for why both the Republican and Democratic parties need to change the way they pick their candidates, referring to the pending suits that California's political parties have filed against its Secretary of State. He stresses to his supporters that while he was deeply disappointed by the results in California; the reforms they wanted should be passed by their elected representatives instead of being tried in court, urging them to use the issue to "light a fire under their asses." and to "fight back" through activism and voting.

Last edited:
I will bet you the obligation to do a boring Congressional thread ! :openedeyewink:

that radio talk host Rush Limbaugh collected this early and amplified it , but probably did not originate it himself. Rush’s “genius” was knowing which horse to jump onto
You're on!

But I'm too lazy at the moment to do the verification of Rush Limbaugh exploiting the lisp thing. If anybody verifies it though, I guess I'll do a boring Congressional thread.

With Super Tuesday finished, McCain and Bush stood against each other with 504 to 258 delegates, pushing them to fight harder and harder for each primary and caucus. As the Republican primaries moved into April, however, the campaigns moved away from more typical issues and centered on the Elián Gonzalez case and immigration in general. Both candidates agreed on keeping Gonzalez in the United States, but Governor Bush argued for making an exception for children and their parents on the Wet Feet Dry Feet Policy, while Senator McCain proposed a complete change that allowed Cubans who were near the coast or rescued by American citizens to be granted asylum. The U.S. Border Patrol eventually seized Elián Gonzalez on April 22, and the public outcry against the Clinton administration spurred Republican voters in droves to support McCain's position. George Bush ended his campaign on May 3 after suffering three straight losses while John McCain went on to gain the delegates needed to secure the nomination, a month later, after winning the Alabama primary.

Last edited:
John McCain had become the presumed Republican nominee after winning the majority of delegates but he soon faced an unpleasant problem: a media campaign by conservative activists and right-wing pundits. McCain's most vocal and vehement attackers included Rush Limbaugh, Phyllis Schlafly, James Dobson, and Pat Robertson; they accused the senator of betraying core Republican values for political gain and urged delegates to vote against him at the convention. McCain fired back, charging them with blaming disadvantaged groups for society's problems instead of taking responsibility and trying to solve these issues themselves, all while lobbying for government benefits despite their stance against federal intervention. Mainstream news outlets dubbed the feud that followed the "Elephant Wars," with several prominent members of the Republican Party either coming out for or against Senator McCain's nomination. The media battle between the pro-McCain and anti-McCain factions would last nearly a month before Jim Nicholson, chairman of the Republican National Conference, called for a vote. Immediately after that meeting, Mr. Nicholson called Roger Stone, a veteran political consultant working for the archconservative camp, with an ultimatum: get his employers to start backing down, or the RNC would publicly endorse John McCain.

The 2000 Republican National Convention was held on July 12 at the Walter Brown Arena in Boston, Massachusetts. John McCain was confirmed as the presidential nominee after a short series of state-by-state roll call votes but adopting a platform proved to be more difficult as conservatives pushed for a traditional manifesto while the McCain campaign prioritized practicality over ideology. An agreement was ultimately reached between the conservatives and moderates; the better part of the traditionalist program would be accepted in exchange for modifying the language and dropping key provisions. After a long and harrowing political struggle, Senator John McCain had finally made his way to the top of the Republican Party's presidential ticket with Senator Fred Thompson of Tennessee as his running mate.

Last edited:
Governs pretty closely to Dubya foreign policy-wise -- without the presence of people like Rumsfeld and Cheney in his cabinet, Iraq might wind up looking very different from OTL.

By August, both major parties had established their tickets: McCain-Thompson for Republicans and Gore-Bayh for Democrats. After the viciousness of the Republican primaries, the general election was relatively more civil; Senator John McCain continued to advocate for reforming campaign finance as well as modernizing immigration and national security whereas Vice-President Al Gore argued for expanding Medicare, strengthening patient protections, increasing teacher salaries, and raising the minimum wage. One common theme in both campaigns was a pro-environment stance with McCain famously coining the term "green conservatism" to counter Gore's long track record on the issue (though he caused a minor scandal when he was caught on a hot mic calling Gore an "eco-maniac" who wanted to turn every American into a "damn treehugger"); his limited government, market-led strategy contrasted with the vice president's more centralized, regulatory plan.

Last edited:
McCain promoted a constitutional amendment for a balanced budget in addition to more standard Republican policies on deregulation, taxes, and abortion. Vice President Gore disagreed (with what conservative radio host Jim Quinn called a "bash for cash" response), believing Congress and the Presidency shared that responsibility; he argued that making spending too inflexible would compromise federal prerogative and pushed for creating a more adjustable and viable federal statute instead. The senator also pledged to roll back gun laws passed under President Clinton and instead enact smart, specific regulations. Al Gore was more aggressive, declaring that he would codify the Federal Assault Weapons Ban and strengthen the Brady Handgun Violence Protection Act. On free trade, which both candidates supported and especially concerned voters, Gore touted his role in ratifying the North American Free Trade Agreement and proposed expanding it to Central America, notably Panama with its trade-rich canal. Senator McCain countered by recommending that the agreement be extended to the Caribbean, with a provisional membership for Cuba, asserting that the "carrot and stick" of NAFTA and the Cuban Embargo would finally bring an end to communism in the Western Hemisphere.

Last edited: