Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

vampires to be Southern Gothic, or whatever the movement becomes called, well-worn cliches in both fantasy and horror media.
Honestly vampires would become a very popular choice given what they represent: a mixture of a zombie and a aristocrat who sucks dry the poor people unfortunate to be nearby in every sense of the word, relics of old age holding the people under them in a unfair system that only benefits their decadent bottoms who do nothing productive but scheme and plot against one another with their underlings as their chess pieces, add some very obvious comparisons to slavery and how they justify it(think like, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter) and you get a whole genre to exploit that it could become it's own trope of "southern vampire in a white suit who runs his plantation in a way that would make Dracula cringe"

And so the American Civil War comes to an end. The struggle and misery of this entire war have been magnified yet there's a greater sense of hope in hindsight. Instead of letting the planters and the Slavocracy reclaim some of their power leading to Jim Crow and continued black discrimination, there's a chance for meaningful long-lasting change. Can't wait to see what's to come with Reconstruction, I'm sure it will be very interesting from a cultural and political perspective.

There's no last dramatic showdown, no climatic battle, no great moment to mark the end of the war and the destruction of the Confederacy. But I decided that it was better this way.
It was better this way. This is what the Confederacy deserved, not a gentlemen's surrender at Appomattox but the destruction and withering of all the Slavocracy held dear.

When Sherman’s soldiers liberated the infamous Andersonville, they were “sickened and infuriated” at seeing their comrades reduced to mere bones “in the midst of . . . barns bursting with grain and food to feed a dozen armies.” There, the Yankees learned a hard lesson when they hastily fed the prisoners, only to see them die due to the little understood at the time refeeding syndrome.
I'm honestly really fascinated with these little anecdotes of mass starvation and the Union's struggles to feed them. While not a pleasant subject to go through, there are opportunities for American agriculturalists, scientists, nutritionists, and botanists to come through to the South and learn about starvation treatment or soil rejuvenation in preparation for staple crops like soybeans, wheat, corn, etc.

There might be an opportunity for a resourceful nutritionist to discover something akin to Plumpy'nut to stave off famine among poor whites and blacks who have suffered thanks to the Confederate junta.

One wonders. What would media like Gone With The Wind or C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America look like in this universe?
Gone With the Wind is probably not going to happen in this timeline. The setting, main characters, and themes would be utterly dissonant with the New South. Why would anyone want to experience a story from the perspective of the Slavers who tore the South apart for the sake of their peculiar institution, only to get away with what they've done to poor whites and their slaves (instead of being lynched or dispossessed)?

CSA: The Confederate States of America might be entirely different in tone than what we got OTL. Rather than an innocuous mockumentary that toys with the Confederacy's obvious racism and white supremacy, they might view a victorious Confederacy in a more cynical light after the actions of the Junta. It might up being presented as an autocratic hellhole where the Slavocracy enjoys the fruits of the labors of black slaves and poor whites alike, with little hope of social mobility or even basic care.

I imagine rather than OTL's near-universal stream of Lost Cause-ism and Antebellum Romanticism in late 19th C & early 20th C Southern fiction, and you will get some of that too, you'll see a mixed fare with a lot more nuanced or critical stories of well-meaning poor white Johnny Rebs getting dragged into a war they don't understand by amoral, self-serving plantation owners, or Tales from the Jacquery, or Poor Little Rich Belle learning hard lessons about the nature of her pampered life from some hardscrabble poor neighbor wives keeping her alive in the famine after her plantation got torched. Lots of tales of Brave Southern Soldiers being needlessly sacrificed by Gutless Gentry. Probably a much richer literary landscape than OTL.
I also expect a more diverse line-up of Southern stories. Kinda hoping that Southern Gothic does arise ITTL to cope with the devastation of the South during this more radical Civil War.

Personally, if there's any book that will survive ITTL, it has to be Huckleberry Finn.

This is probably the most likely outcome. Late 19th century authors taking on a finger-wagging, moralizing tone towards the pre-bellum South and then this gradually evolving as time goes on, and restrictions on what is considered appropriate for media loosen, that we see more bleak, frightening depictions of what things were like. Equivalents to Lost Cause works may exists but they will likely not find a widespread audience TTL and will remain obscure. The closer we get to the present, works like equivalents to the aforementioned Come and See or Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian are likely. It will be difficult to imagine the WWI-like effect it will have on the American psyche.

I suspect ghosts, cannibals, and (if they still become popular ITTL) vampires to be Southern Gothic, or whatever the movement becomes called, well-worn cliches in both fantasy and horror media.
Yeah I can’t really begin to imagine the effects on the national psyche. As far as media depictions dark straight foward nihilistic would be the norm i feel . A small upside being no artillery sending people flying in the air in civil war movies thank god

Last edited:
Well it's over
The Confederacy died kicking and screaming or surrendering depending on the commander.

Hopefully the remains of guys like Jackson, Forrest and other top rebel leaders are burned or toss into unmarked graves to prevent them from becoming shrines.

Even at the end the Junta grab every boy and man that they could get to throw into the war despite it being over. I don't think any Union soldiers enjoyed having to killed kids who were drafted and forced to fight. And holy crap did central authority collapsed and things went bad. Columbia is gone and the Union finally found Andersonville and the horrors there.

Jackson last charge at the Battle of Appomattox wasn't a battle of Berlin but it served as likely the last major battle of the civil war. And what a way to go, better than hanging or firing squad I would say for Jackson.

The old South is truly gone and never going to rise again in this TL. The social order and chains are broken, the poorer whites and Blacks have risen up against the Planter class. There so much freedom it's hard not to cry a little at that.

And that scene where a bro reunited with his mom wad just awesome. Hopefully in the future there a single player shooter game based on the CW in this TL and the last mission is hosting the union flag over the rebel's Congress building.

Lincoln just burning brighter as he ascending to Demigod status to everyone and especially the former slaves. Civil right bill a hundred years earlier and winning America's great Civil war. Bro sounds like an anime protagonist who started out with simple goals and by the end is sitting on a throne.

I wonder what the celebration in 1965 would look like long after Lincoln, the generals and last Union soldiers are gone. The last Union Soldier to died would definitely be big news to the country especially if its was a former slave.

Picking up the pieces is really going to suck and rebuilding the devastated States would be costly too.
But I really want to see how they do it and the new social order that pops up from the ruins.

I expecting some Nuremberg level trials for the surviving Confederate officials, prominent private citizens, military officers and notorious soldiers. They committed plenty of crimes left and right.

Wonderfully picturesque story, Ranger, thanks.

I haven't read it, but there's a parody in our timeline of going with the wind called The Wind Done Gone from the point of view of the slaves I believe. I speculated earlier that that might be what Gone With the Wind is in this timeline, the original publication being much more favorable to the slaves and eventually freed black people. If things are Advanced enough to give credit to them, in fact, you could even see the one scene I really recall from viewing it 40 years ago - in addition to the final scene with the iconic line - being the little girl's fall from a horse but her being saved by a quick thinking black doctor. And Scarlett's marriage falls apart then because the big argument is over if the doctor should be given credit for what he did.

Yes, Huckleberry Finn will be written pretty much as in our timeline, but Tom Sawyers plan to free Jim even though he was already freed May look a little different and be more a satire on how dumb and gullible the southern planters really were. Perhaps with zany diversions like people dressed in dog suits that would not look out of place in a Hogan's Heroes episode. :) given Mark Twain's love for satire I can see him doing this.

Wonderfully picturesque story, Ranger, thanks.

I haven't read it, but there's a parody in our timeline of going with the wind called The Wind Done Gone from the point of view of the slaves I believe. I speculated earlier that that might be what Gone With the Wind is in this timeline, the original publication being much more favorable to the slaves and eventually freed black people. If things are Advanced enough to give credit to them, in fact, you could even see the one scene I really recall from viewing it 40 years ago - in addition to the final scene with the iconic line - being the little girl's fall from a horse but her being saved by a quick thinking black doctor. And Scarlett's marriage falls apart then because the big argument is over if the doctor should be given credit for what he did.
I just looked up The Wind Done Gone and I think your right, that would definitely be TTL's equivalence to Gone With The Wind. I would love to see a movie of that

Speaking of which, what would be interesting would be Albert Sydney Johnston’s post-war fate with how he was captured alive and ended up denouncing the junta out of loyalty to Breckinridge in exchange for clemency.

Thanks! Ironic you should say picturesque because, Bloody as it is, it basically leapt fully formed into my head. Ended up writing it very quickly after that.
The story to me represents the theme of the poor white soldier and the freedman finding commonality in the sense that they were both victims of the establishment of plantation owners who were willing to sacrifice everything in order to keep their barbaric institution. And the deserter in choosing to help "John Brown" realized that.

yeah no thank you I'd rather see a Gone With The Wind that showed the reality of the civil war not some propaganda bullcrap

What a bizarrely hostile, bad faith response to pointing out that the existing book is ‘propaganda bullcrap’ and we shouldn’t give the author or her work a redemption that was neither earned nor desired.

However the Gone With the Wind movie feels very sarcastic like it knows it's source material is full of hot air or maybe that's just Rhett and his actor.

What a bizarrely hostile, bad faith response to pointing out that the existing book is ‘propaganda bullcrap’ and we shouldn’t give the author or her work a redemption that was neither earned nor desired.
I didn't mean for it to be "bizarrely hostile" but I apologize , and I see where you're coming from. Instead of Gone With the Wind I've already said that maybe The Wind Done Gone should take it's place ITTL.

I'm not sure whether this was ever addressed, but did Lewis Cass still resign from the office of Secretary of State as he did IOTL during the final days of Buchanan's administration to protest his inaction during the Secession Winter? Might as well ask, @Red_Galiray, or did Buchanan pick a Southerner as his Secretary of State ITTL?

<snip>I wonder what the celebration in 1965 would look like long after Lincoln, the generals and last Union soldiers are gone. The last Union Soldier to died would definitely be big news to the country especially if its was a former slave.
Sadly, I suspect the last actual Civil War "veteran" to die will almost certainly be the same kind as was IOTL. Namely, someone who "served" as a six year old Confederate drummer boy in 1865.

"Toombs dood
Wot nou?"

Well the war is over and the south is finally vanquished , really happy to get to read this part "live" and cant help but ask myself what will happen now that the union needs to go fixing the shitshow left behind by the junta

Really good TL

You know of all the talk of Gone With The Wind novel. The type of Civil War novel ITTL that I would like to see is I don't know has read The Winds Of War by Herman Wouk IOTL but basically it follows an American family throughout ww2 and the characters interact with historical characters included an original German character who tells the story from the German side and I'd like to see that type of novel here for TTL civil war like a Yankee family as they interact with President Lincoln, Grant all other historical figures etc.