Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Is this historically accurate?

I hate the term "American Civil War" because of the false sense of symmetry it conveys; it makes it alarmingly hard for people to understand that the CSA seceded to preserve slavery, but they were reconquered to keep the USA intact, not end slavery. My preferred term is Confederate Revolt.
The largest possible CSA at a peace Treaty ending the war, is all of the pre-war Slave states minus Delaware plus Washington DC, what became Oklahoma, and all of what became Arizona and New Mexico. In *that* case, they *might* move their government to DC (with the US moving to Philly or New York). They simply didn't *want* Boston or Chicago in their new Nation.

@Deaf Peregrine
I hate the term "American Civil War" because of the false sense of symmetry it conveys; it makes it alarmingly hard for people to understand that the CSA seceded to preserve slavery, but they were reconquered to keep the USA intact, not end slavery. My preferred term is Confederate Revolt.
The word revolt is generally used to describe small and short conflicts not a fullscale war. When you say revolt I image something that laste a week at most not a brutal war that lasted for years. Civil war is simply much more accurate description. Also, I not sure how calling a revolt solves your problem.

LOL, tantrum at worst sounds like some manager getting so mad at the Umpire that he picks up bases and starts throwing them, kicks dirt on the umpire, throws bats and balls out of the dugout, and so on.

Seriously, I think one reason it was called the Civil War was because of the emphasis on the individual and the family. There were plenty of families in which it was a civil war because you had brother fighting against brother. However, I can understand the confusion because that is really mostly only true in the border states or, at most, upper south, though there were of course a few unionists in the Deep South.

If he thought the Spanish or Russian Civil Wars were only civil wars to some extent, though, then I imagine the definition must have changed at some point from the classical view. Because those were definitely systems of government fighting against each other, just like the English.

My AP History teacher back in the mid-'80s was the same way, she hated how the South treated people, but she also saw the significance of their desire for independence. It was a desire that, because of the evils, had to be defeated, but a desire nonetheless. It had just kept festering since decades earlier. ( unless I'm mixing teachers, she was also a big fan of John Quincy Adams because, while he wasn't a great president, he fought hard to end the ban on discussion of slavery in Congress and also defended the slaves in the Amistad case. She saw that ban as a big sign that the South would eventually refuse to accept anything but total freedom, because America was built on honest, rational discourse and discussion of issues, and the South did not want rational discourse. It's also why she universally condemned Richard Nixon because he refused to be open and honest about so much. She said in class she wouldn't be surprised if he had considered a coup attempt, although that is getting off topic so I better stop.)

Given that it was festering for so long, slavery Rebellion sounds accurate, for the reason that a civil war sometimes doesn't have to have a long simmering. Beforehand. It can just be about who succeeds the last king. But, there had been quiet Rebellion and trickery for decades from the South)

Last edited:
The Southern Rebellion fits best, imo. Perhaps I’m being pedantic, but a civil war fits a “winner takes all” type of conflict much better, whereas what we call “The American Civil War” is, well, a secession attempt that got squashed. As someone said above, the South didn’t want any anti-slavery states in their new confederacy because that would breed challenges to their desire for slavery as the law of the land. And trying to make slavery the law of the land throughout the entirety of the US by force might have been desirable to the Planter Aristocracy, but I think even they (however delusional and idiotic they may have been) were aware that it wasn’t actually achievable. So secession it was.

Compare the Russian or Spanish Civil Wars, which did center on conflicts over who got control over the entire country. They were the kind of knock-down no-holds-barred fights that do, I feel, deserve the titles of Civil Wars.

Last edited:
I can see this chapter has received a lot of positive attention, and I'm really glad to see it. I've been building up towards this since the start of the war, and it is a pivotal part of the climax of the story. I think the twist has been received well by most, who agree with my decision. I'll further explain my reasoning by replying to several comments that have opinions close to mine. I believe this turn of events also covers the two requirements for a good twist, in that many did not expect it but others did, and most agree that it's not unrealistic. There's a lot of foreshadowing hidden in early chapters. We're, at last, in the final stretch. If I can maintain the pace of an update per month, this TL will be finished before the year ends. As always, no promises due to school and other commitments, but we're truly approaching the end now. Thanks for all of your support.

every literate confederate after this chapter:
We discovered right now that, sadly, the great majority of them aren't literate after all.

I'd like to see the gymnastics a Lost Causer would have to make to defend this shambling corpse/rabid dog of a CSA. Brilliant writing as always, and looking forward to the next!
Thanks! I planned this precisely to prevent Lost Causers from denying that slavery played a huge role in the Civil War. Here are the slavocrats overthrowing their own government all to protect slavery, and plainly admitting that the Confederacy was meant to protect slavery and they don't want independence without it. How could you deny that they seceded over slavery? Of course, there are idiots who deny IOTL despite overwhelming evidence. But their numbers will be fewer here.

General Lee killed in a insignificant skirmish! That... is such an inglorious death, it's nothing like OTL counterparts like Jackson at Chancellorsville or Reynolds at Gettysburg or Lannes at Aspern-Essling. I struggle to think a historical parallel to it, maybe Genghis Khan dying from falling off his horse or William the Conqueror's putrid death? But it would be interesting to think about how it affects his reputation. He was definitely cheered on by his army, but such an inglorious death may mean it gets swept under the rug... Still, it would be a shocking and sudden blow for the Confederacy, especially with the junta coming so soon.

It really slipped my mind that Toombs might actually do this. IOTL Toombs actually toured Europe, trying to promote the South's cause after it was defeated and actually got in several altercations. I wonder if this is what convinces Longstreet to defect. After all, Jackson and Longstreet are said to have been bitter with each other following Union Mills and Johnston despises Longstreet ITTL. Given that he has close ties with Beauregard, the junta might start looking into Longstreet's loyalty to their cause. Also, how would Jeff Davis react? Davis seemed close to Breckinridge, but given that Breckinridge was going to capitulate, he might choose to support the junta.
I did not want Lee to have a glorious dead. He doesn't deserve one. A meaningless dead is much more fitting, in my opinion. Some idolization is probably inevitable, but it's harder to do when he died for nothing. If he had died in a blaze of glory, that would at least give the rebels some consolation, and Lost Causers something to rally around.

Longstreet's position has certainly become precarious now. For all intents and purposes his enemies are now the government. That goes double for Davis. We'll see more about them next time.

Sheeeeesh, things just got real! The future of the "black slave soldiers" idea was obvious, but I didn't expect Lee to die so suddenly - and then a coup d'état! People north of the border are going to be laughing at how stupid the Confederacy is behaving...
Even Stanton is bound to be laughing at this. I mean, if Breckinridge had actually been able to tender terms of peace, that could have been troublesome for Lincoln - a lot of people don't care how the war ends, so a conditional surrender would be completely fine by them. Given that a negotiated peace is the platform of the other parties, they would be strengthened because a lot of people would ask "why are we still fighting?" if the enemy is outright offering to surrender. But that possibility is now closed, and Lincoln can say "see? they would have never accepted a peace offer!" They have not only secured their defeat, but their defeat at the hands of a strengthened Lincoln.

On a sidenote, I hope Lee isn't drag out of his grave by revengeful union soldiers as a final insult for his role in the war.
You hope he isn't? Or that he is? Frankly, something like that would be a gratuitous insult. There's no need for that, and it would be completely out of character for Grant and Lincoln.

Hello,

I guess the ultimate question has now been put before the Confederates who avidly demanded the defense of their institutions. Are they themselves prepared to die in that defense?
Lmao no. As soon as things are truly lost be sure they will be the first ones in a ship bound to Cuba or Brazil.

Mmmm
Wonder how the Foreign military observers tagging along the Union armies react to hearing and seeing the insanity of the CSA. Dudes have front row seats to seeing a nation and its ideas dying first hand.

Especially as Europe is mostly against slavery to begin with, their first hand reports of the brutality against those with African descent is likely going to have some affect in Europe. Especially if King Leopard still goes ahead with the crap he did in the congo.
Such things aren't going to be well received in Britain or France. Could we see the status of belligerent of this Confederacy revoked, in favor of it being considered a mere domestic insurrection?

Only if Toombs can find Richmond on a map. Also, who would be the Fegelein equivalent here?
"Everything will be fine with E. Kirby Smith's attack."

the only surprising thing about this is that it was just Lee rolling a nat-1 rather than a bunch of black conscripts saying "f*ck it, let's see if we can't kill the bastard".

Amazing update. I love how you paint the picture of desperate decisions to save a doomed cause, only accelerating its demise. Your storytelling skill is truly exceptional in this regard. It's like watching someone put a puzzle together, but with an original work.
Thanks! I very consciously am going for the tone of a historian trying to reconstruct events that remain contentious, where a lot of the involved players can't be trusted or never gave their versions, and where we simply don't know a lot of what truly happened. I'm glad to see you liked it.

Is the rest of the world going to be covered post civil war as well
Yes, but sparingly. And only after I finish this. The focus will remain in the US.

Finally caught up to this excellent timeline so this was a very pleasant update. Hopefully, we will see the United States transformed in the Reconstruction that is to come because god knows I want to see it so badly with the Lost Causers/KKK thoroughly trashed.

After reading this post, the planters are right.

What is the fucking point of the Confederacy if not only the federal government infringes on their property (*cough* slaves *cough*) but also it is also forced to rely on black slaves for help to preserve their own slavery. At this stage, the Confederacy is completely dead. Not only have they been thoroughly broken militarily (Lee's ignominious death notwithstanding) but also spiritually, with their own raison d'etre questioned by the leaders of the Confederacy and poor whites themselves.

It won't be long before Grant is able to take Richmond and put the final nail in the coffin of this entire war.

Speaking of Breckinridge, I do have some sympathies for him, because he's one of the few people sane enough to care about the Southern people as a whole rather than preserving the institution that has led much of the South to burn and starve while they sit on their ivory tower, even if it came at a cost to his pride. Assuming he's still alive by the end of this war, I have some hopes that he will try to lead the Southern people toward a brighter path while also getting revenge on the planter class that constantly scorned him and would rather let the entire South die than be forced to pick up a shovel and work like he and so many of the South did.

Despite the harsh racism from White Southerners, their growing doubts about slavery and the planter class (culminating in the Unionists' collaboration with slaves) might be of great use to Radical Republicans during Reconstruction. With the Slavocracy being more thoroughly discredited in the eyes of poor whites, this might be the wedge that might just bring both poor whites and freed blackmen together, despite appeals to white supremacy from Democrats and the planter class alike by portraying the planters as the true enemy to the South.
Thank you! I'm really glad you took the time to say you like my little TL :)

The debate about the use of Black soldiers was particularly revealing because most frankly admitted the only thing they cared about is slavery. They didn't feel anything for the Confederacy as a nation, they didn't feel any attachment to any "Southern" culture separate from slavery, they only cared about the Confederacy as long as it meant perpetuating slavery. There was never any Confederate nationalism.

Breckinridge is somewhat tragic. It's a tragedy of his own making, of course, and he doesn't deserve much sympathy. But it's hard not to feel pity for someone who gave so much for a cause, earning only the scorn of the people he tried his hardest to save, even if that cause is so deeply wrong. It's in some way the ultimate story of karma - he tried to fight for slaveholders, only to realize that the Northern radicals were right: slaveholders are lazy, self-righteous, destructive, tyrannical, and feel no loyalty to anything except their own gain.

If anyone has ever played Victoria III, they will have encountered the Landowner interest. And they're just awful; utterly frustrating to deal with. They are so attached to their own powers and privileges that they're quite happy to watch the state and country be burnt down around them, if only their own 'liberties' were left unimpugned until the very last day.

The Southern Slavocrats here are a peak example. They would rather lose the war, see their own country dissolved and destroyed, all their privileges and powers stripped away, than allow their own government to trespass upon some of them during a War of National Survival.

Couldn't have happened to nicer people.
Believe me, I know from the history of Latin American hacendados just how bad landowners can be. But still, it's rather perplexing to see a people so obsessed with their honor that they would rather lose everything than give up a little. Their gamble mostly worked IOTL, with them receiving pardons, retaining their lands, and being allowed to retake their power. But that won't be the case here. This last self-destructive blow will be their last.

Only in broad strokes I hope, the #1 killer of excellent timelines is scope bloat. The exceptions to this rule (Male Rising etc.) are wonderful but it's DAMN hard to pull off a global timeline.
It's also damn hard! I don't want to have to deeply research aspects that are outside of the main area of the TL and get so far from what I, and most readers, actually care about.

Well, that was depressing. I'm genuinely scared of how bad the war is yet going to get. And how much worse the Reconstruction-era guerillas will be.
I am always in respect of how you manage to make the reader feel bad for the Rebs, see the situation through their eyes, while still making it clear that they're on the morally wrong side of the war, defending one of the most vile systems in history.

On a separate note, now that we know Johnny Breck's presidency is over, and his peace plan will never be proposed to the Yankees, what would his conditional surrender entail exactly? What conditions would he propose to Lincoln, had Davis and Lee not convinced him to use Black soldiers instead?
I have never wanted to portray them as cartoon villains, but as deeply flawed, tragically mistaken men. It was these flaws that led them to such acts of evil, rather than it being something inherent. That's why I've tried to humanize them.

We'll discuss the exact details of the peace proposal later, along with analyzing the specifics of the Southern peace movement.

Reflecting a bit more, can I just say how godawful such a triumvirate would be as Confederate high command? While politically sensible as they are enemies of the administration, only Jackson is at least passable. Beauregard has some logistical talent but for the most part is an irrational planner with grandiose operations drawn on napkins devoid of realistic time, space, and manpower. Johnston will probably advise the Confederates to keep withdrawing until the Atlantic is at their backs and surrounded by all three Federal armies. Could be a good buildup for a Steiner counterattack-type delusion...

Honestly, I am guessing Longstreet. Longstreet is quite favored by Breckinridge, who pulled Longstreet out of irrelevance in North Carolina, entrusted Longstreet with saving Atlanta from Johnston's incompetence, hoped Longstreet would be able to take command and then assigned him commander of the Army of Northern Virginia after Lee's undignified demise. That's sure to attract some negative attention by the junta, especially from Johnston who despises him. Longstreet inherits from Lee an Army of Northern Virginia that has been mauled from Grant's Eight Days and might fall short of the lofty strategic offensives proposed by Beauregard to Toombs.

Toombs: These people will stay here: Jackson, Beauregard and Johnston.
It's basically the inmates running the Asylum now. Davis may have been somewhat delusional OTL regarding the possibility of the war being won, but now the clowns who were against the draft, impressment and other such evidently necessary measures are the ones running the show.

In OTL, this is a common lost causer line, but in TTL, seems like it may actually bear out more - or just be emphasized more as a national Union Myth after reconstruction.

Another lost cause myth OTL, the idea that the Confederacy 'died of states rights', but again, here, it actually seems like it might be the case, or again, part of the central myth.
Either way, I wonder what modern revisionist historians have to say TTL - because there always will be some

EDIT: Also, Breckenridge not getting couped is likely to be one of the most popular AH premises for civil war timelines ttl
Of course, "states rights" has always been just code for "slaveholders' rights." More people are bound to recognize this when the guys who screeched "STATES RIGHTS STATES RIGHTS" are the ones taking over the government.

Yeah, I can see "Breckinridge isn't overthrown and somehow manages to win the war in like two months" being one of those cliched TLs.

One idea I got for any Confederate Drafting Black soldiers plan, would be to simply find their families and say that if they fight, the family will be freed, if they don’t…we’ll there will be consequences.
Downright evil, but not beyond the Confederates. It's good they were stupid evil.

Well I for one look forward to as many Confederate dead-enders as possible gathering together for fruitless last stands that mainly serve to ensure fewer hardened opponents are left alive for Reconstruction governments to deal with. Seriously, the planter class truly are the worst, such a brutal, prideful, mendacious, and lazy lot. Looking forward to their future destitution and hope a Land Value Tax comes around.
They won't have to put up with any Land tax because they won't have any land! All of it will be in the hands of those who deserve it: the people who actually worked it.

(But yeah I do envision a future land tax, so any people who managed to retain their land will have to pay for it).

I presume a common POD might be Lee not dying, either due to not going to the skirmish or only being injured.
That would be indeed a very interesting POD. I mean, as we'll soon see, with Lee alive there's probably no coup.

Right next to the alternate Booth plan succeeding, probably
Yeah, the three main alt histories ITTL are probably: 1) Booth succeeding in killing Lincoln; 2) Lee doesn't die and Breckinridge goes down fighting; 3) Lee dies but there's no coup and Breckinridge's peace offer goes forward.

One big question is - how will the Union react to Lee's death? I can imagine there will be many festivities for the death of the Union's greatest battlefield enemy, while whatever remains of the Copperheads will mourn the death of the one person that could have prevented Lincoln from securing his victory in November.

Also, the guy that did the deed is going to become a minor celebrity in the Army.
I can actually see the Union making a big show of how they aren't actually celebrating. Saying, "see, those rebels were salivating when they thought Lincoln could be killed, but because we're so magnanimous we don't celebrate, for real."

The only reason I'm not cheering the death of the Traitor Lee is because now he's a fucking martyr, and I really hope the Lost Causers, if they appear, don't lionize his sorry ass.
Some lionization was inevitable. Believe me, it was a somewhat hard choice.

Well he does serve a more useful purpose here: ”Robert Lee was an Honrable soldier who was just defending his state, and was prepared to surrender unlike the Bastords who fought to the bitter end.”

Pretty good to have if you want a narrative which can get average Southern Non Unionist Whites on side in reconstruction, or at least facilitate division within their ranks, to the detriment of restoring White Supremacy.

Ideally, the way to stop the Lost Cause is to get every southern general writing about how the other sucked so much, not uniting in trying to make an cohesive historical narrative.
Yes. As I mentioned previously, we'll probably need some kind of "Good Confederate myth" that says that the mass of Confederates were honorable people who were truly fighting for hearth and home, but they were deluded by criminal slaveholders, until the Union liberated them from their tyranny. Lee would be something like Erwin Rommel - he was fighting for a bad cause, but he was an honorable gentleman who did not share the values of the tyrants. Of course we know that isn't true, but such a myth would allow Southerners to believe they didn't do anything wrong while turning their anger towards the slavocrats. It'd be harder to swallow the fact that they were, in fact, in the wrong.

And Longstreet could be another example of the former, especially if the coup and the news of Lee's death leads him to surrender on his own initiative.
The "true" heir of Lee, in a way.

So now that the south is a military junta, what role does the Confederate Congress play? Do they even have one? Because I can see some getting really upset at this. In fact, Governor Brown of Georgia made threats to secede himself at times, so even if he was just blowing smoke in our timeline he might be serious in this timeline. Because if there is no Congress.. well, although Georgia is represented in the junta. But there are a few states that can claim they have no Representatives now.

Andrew Johnson's speech writer: "Well, Sir, now that we're fighting a banana republic, or should I say cotton republic... well, you can claim the president's beard is ugly. That might be your only argument, though, and I don't think you can make a really long speech out of that."
Thanks for your appreciation! :)

We will see the reaction of the State governments (those that are left anyway) and Congress next chapter.

Andy, really, isn't the one in the worst spot. He at least was saying they should win militarily, but then what? Pardon and restore all the power of the people who did this? Tilden is in an infinitely worse position.

I’ll admit, I was not expecting Breckinridge to be arrested and his government coup’ed. I feel a little bad for the guy.

…Only a little bad. He’s still a goddamn Confederate; cry harder slavers.

It’s definitely interesting to see how self-defeating the planter aristocracy is with their absolute refusal to give up being kings of their rapidly-shrinking domain. Points for consistency, I suppose.

I’m particularly pleased by the growing rift between the Planter Aristocracy and working-class white Southerners. Nice to see the diaries and newspaper articles showing just how contemptuous the planters are of anyone who isn’t them; hopefully the resentment kindled in poorer Southerners by those sentiments will help ensure a more just and equal Reconstruction.
Worse, for many poor Southerners Breckinridge was their champion, the leader who actually cared about them. They could see he actually tried to stand up to the slaveholders, that he was doing his best to protect them. How will they react?

Okay, this is interesting. I almost wonder what this will do to the memory of Breckenridge - I don't expect him to get out of this alive (either due to execution or simply dying in prison from natural, or less natural, causes). Since it's going to get out that he was trying to seek peace, there's every reason to suspect that he goes down as the "good confederate" - a honorable Southern patriot who unwillingly took on the mantle of the Presidency, did the best he could, and who was willing to admit the war was over to spare further damage to his beloved Southron people, before being stabbed in the back by the die-hards who cared more about their power then the people they tried to led. Oh, if only he had lived ...

This reputation would actually be really useful for the Union government as well as those Southrons who will end up supporting Reconstruction.
This idea can indeed be really useful for Reconstruction. Especially if it's framed as the ultimate example of a deluded Southerner being redeemed by the Union - Breckinridge, too, was misled by the slavocrats, and as soon as he refused to be their tool, as soon as he realized that the Union was better and that dying to protect slaveholders was not worth it, they took him out. That's definite proof that there was no peace to be made with the Slave Power, it must be destroyed.

This is Death of Stalin-tier comedy gold.
I can definitely see a movie like that lol. A very dark comedy.

Breckinridge almost comes off as something of a tragic figure here. Seemingly one of the few Confederate Leaders aware of the realities of the war, what would need to be done to arrest the situation, that a negotiated settlement was now the best avenue for securing some of the the peculiar institution...

Irony is I think his critics were right, insofar as any large-scale use of the enslaved for the military is a massive pandora's box. By the time of Mobile and Atlanta it's hard to see it being of much benefit, and for it to truly work you'd need to put a ton of guns and bullets into the hands of those whose families you want to hold perpetually in bondage.

It's hard to imagine how a negotiated settlement might work at this stage, too. The Union is clearly winning, the Republicans are now running for reelection on the 13th Amendment and confiscation, there's far more distance now between them than existed in 63 or earlier. The Northern public is fickle enough that it could maybe have had a real effect on the election, though, and it seems like it might be a fairly interesting 'what if' in TTL; what if Atlanta holds for a few more weeks, Lee doesn't die, and Breckinridge is allowed to make a peace offering? Of course, with Breckinridge overthrown and Lee dead, there really is no one left to force Lincoln to reckon with a 'genuine' attempt at peace. All this tantrum will accomplish is their ultimate destruction.

Another theme is radicalization, both North and South.

The Confederacy is actually in a worse position territorially than they were in OTL, which is an interesting contrast to how much further they advanced in the first few years of the war. We've talked a lot about how the North/Lincoln have radicalized, but it seems to have also emboldened the most hard-liner elements in the confederacy too.
Yes, they were right, but the main factor behind their opposition was simple racism and a love for White supremacy. I can't see any arguments pointing out that arming the enslaved is a bad idea. They seemed convinced that they would be loyal soldiers thanks to that promise of freedom. Heck, some were so delusional that they thought the Black men would serve as slaves without a promise of freedom, because under their vision they didn't want freedom in the first place.

Lincoln would probably never accept a negotiated peace. But the Northern public may have voted in a candidate that would accept if they believed Lincoln too intransigient and the peace terms acceptable. But even then Lincoln would have until March to win completely. What would be the result then?

Let the damn Slavocrats BURN!! I was so damn happy that they did this utterly asinine (and expected) move at the end, makes it certain that this horrid disease is purged until there is nothing left of it. Not one bit.

All throughout the update I felt nothing but rising happiness at the continued misfortune of the Slavers. Let 'em get purged so thoroughly, the future generations must get terrified at even thinking of exhibiting even mild racist tendencies.

Breckenridge might seem to be tragic story but, he condoned an utter evil, and for that he has no sympathy from me. Lee even less so.
Of course, we all know they don't deserve sympathy. No one who fights willingly for slavery does. But they have the sympathy of many Southerners, especially poor ones. And that's more important.

Delusional reprobates all. The southron planter class shall soon meet the judgement of the Lord Most High. It will be better for Sodom and Gomorrah than it will be for these idle oppressors of their fellow man.
It's always disgusting how they somehow could have claimed that God was in their side.

Hamlin is probably just doing Senate stuff, as the Senator from Maine, while Colfax... well I don't know actually, but Red definitely does
Hamlin is indeed doing Senate stuff. In some of the cut content from the TL, actually, it was explicitly said that Colfax was the Speaker of the House. It was during a discussion of the schemes of the Blairs, with Frank Blair being offered Lincoln's support to be Speaker of the House, but most Republicans going for Colfax instead. I cut it because of time.

Come to think of it, would there really be any sympathy for Breckinridge in the North? IIRC the chapter on the aftermath of the Red Night makes it clear that many in the North believe that Breckinridge is responsible for calling in the hit. There is also how the junta handles Breckinridge. I assume that the junta would at least want to maintain the facade of being a democracy and I suspect that Confederate Congress will basically give their approval. I suspect that they will Breckinridge locked in Richmond instead of execution - it might be too shocking for Confederate sentiments. Actually, given that the conversation between Jeff Davis and Breckinridge never come to light, maybe the two die somehow.
There are hints ;)

I'm pretty sure there was an interlude from a while back which featured Breckenridge walking through Richmond to bolster the spirits of the people and he met a woman who named her new son after him, and it stated that neither Breckenridge nor his namesake would survive the end of the conflict. So Johnny Breck is going to be shuffling off the mortal coil before this little experiment of a slaver's republic comes to an end - whether he's executed, dies during an 'escape' or contracts an illness while in prison, waits to be seen. Honestly, none of these scenerios are good for the Coup and planter elites - the first is pretty up front, but is going to cause civil unrest amongst the lower classes. The other two are lead to the assumption that the junta illed him and is trying to cover it up/explain it away, which results in the same thing AND leads to conspiracy theories.

Either way, I can see many of the lower classes shaking theier heads after the war is over and saying "If only he'd have lived ..." Breckenridge would have brought an early end to the war, and probably come around to the end of slavey, joined the union in dissolving the planter class, etc etc etc.

But, because of course. But that's the kind of legacy the Union can play with to their advantage during reconstruction as well
I actually didn't say that Breckinridge himself died, only that his namesake did. But it's indeed hard to see him coming out of this alive.

The thing about dead leaders is that it's easy to say they would have been the best had they lived. I mean, we can see this in Lincoln - people say that if only he had lived somehow the US would have become an egalitarian paradise. A martyred Breckinridge could everything to everyone all at once.
I think the main outcome of all of this, aside from a much bloodier end to the confederacy, is that there won't be a single Lost Causer movement, there will be several.

If you're a poor white southerner or sympathetic northerner you might look fondly at the "honourable" Breckenridge and Lee who cared about the common man and did the best they could but were frustrated at every turn by the selfishness of the planters who lost the war for the south then stabbed Breckenridge in the back and prevented an honourable peace.

On the other hand, if you sympathise more with the planters and their version of history, the south would have been triumphant were it not for the cowardice and sabotage of Breckenridge and his incompetent, tyrannical government that destroyed the confederacy from within and doomed them to defeat.

And I think that is going to be vital for the post-bellum south. There won't be a united narrative to rewrite history around. There won't be a single set of southern heroes to lionise and hagiographise. Instead there will be competing narratives and competing casts of heroes and villains. And, crucially, every variation of the Lost Cause will have its own stab in the back myth which pits them against other southerners. All that is going to stand in the way of the coordinated rewriting of history and mythologising that we saw OTL. There definitely won't be monuments to Breckenridge and Lee in the same places as monuments to Jackson and Davis. And all of that should make it much harder for reconstruction to be overturned within a generation as it was OTL - the southern political elites will be fighting each other over who's to blame rather than working together, and that will make a huge difference.
This is a very insigthful comment, because this was basically my same reasoning. I always believed that it was necessary to divide the South, and especially to drive a wedge between the poor and the rich. This weakens them enormously.

Such a satisfying chapter. God I can’t wait to see the south burn to the ground like it should have and to see the north finish the job like it should have. Sometimes enemies must be crushed, utterly.

Amusingly enough the only hesitation I have in seeing Jackson and Davis get the noose is that it would butterfly my boyfriend who is a direct descendant of both (and the amount of gravespinning they would do at seeing him and his views and his life would power the entire eastern seaboard).
All of Davis' children, as far as I know, have already been born. Same with Jackson's. So your boyfriend should be okay, free to make these bastards keep spinning.

A *true* Civil War. My AP US History Teacher *refused* to call it the Civil War unless he actually had to. He wasn't at all a confederate sympathizer, he just had a classical view of what a Civil War was. To him, the English, the Spanish and to some extent the Russians had a Civil War, to him, the only Civil War in North America in the 1860s was in Mexico. What we called the US Civil War was a Failed Southern War for Independence, he saw *far* more similarities to the US War for Independence (which wasn't a Revolution, the French had one of those in 1789) than to the English "War of the Roses".

(BTW, got a 4 on the AP US History exam, and give him a lot of the credit)
Frankly it kind of bothers me too. I like the name in other languages, which is basically Secession War. But people at the time already referred to it as the Civil War so I couldn't really change the name, because it is likely inevitable that it would be engraved in people's memories as "the Civil War" instead of other names. War of the Rebellion is the other most likely name.

To be fair, I’m pretty sure none of us would exist in this alternate timeline, simply due to the butterfly effect. Pretty much anyone born after the POD probably doesn’t exist, if we’re being realistic.
It depends on how "extreme" one is regarding butterflies. I think the same people would probably exist for like a couple of generations until the butterflies affect them directly. Most likely all Americans are affected. But by the modern day, yes most likely it's a completely different group of people.

I don't believe its in character for Jackson of johnston to join an effort to overthrow the Government.they were probably evil men but not THAT type of evil if it makes sense

.I also don't like Lee dying before the defeat as now people ittl would say "if only Lee lived" and the imagery of the Virginian gentlemen surrendering to the shopkeeper is an important part of the imagery around the end of the war.Althorugh I also like him as a "Character " I would say .

I beg of you to understand that the chapter was still excellent brillant and overall great and I only am afraid that to point out everything great with it would take a couple of hours but the fundamental theme that a society based off evil is fundamentally flawed and leads to failure of morals and sense in every part of its "nation" is striking.
You must remember, these are not OTL Jackson or Johnston. They are different from their counterparts because of the many changes. Johnston especially hates Breckinridge because of all that nasty Georgia business. Moreover, it's not a question of evil. These men do not see themselves as being evil, as being the villains. In their minds, they are saving the Confederacy. Johnston and Jackson are not joining the plot of evil mustache twirling villains, but think they are the courageous defenders of Lee's legacy against a President who's betrayed them and Lee.

I struggled with the decision of killing Lee. Mostly because then Confederates can say he was never truly defeated (I think Grant's Eight Days were a clear defeat, tho). Furthermore, even though I also like the imaginary of Appomattox, I think it actually hurt the nation in the long term. It created the sense that as soon as the war was over the rebels ought to have been forgiven immediately, and that any measure that sought justice was actually vengeance that went against the "spirit of Appomattox." That idea is why no Confederate leaders were prosecuted and why many Northerners rejected Reconstruction. The handshake of Appomattox created in Northerners an enduring idea of themselves as the merciful victors who refused to punish their defeated foe but welcomed them back with open arms. And that's not good when those defeated foes definitely deserved to be punished.

I'm imagining a northern political cartoon of a snake with Breckenridge's head whispering in the ear of an enslaved man and woman.
If only I could draw!

So will america be more left wing when all this is over and will they be More Socialist
Most likely. The enfranchisement of millions of working men can only move the nation to the left.

My god, looking at how this TL amplifies the Intra-Southron dynamics of class-struggle between the Poor Whites and the Slavocrats, I just had an absolutely terrible, but extremely funny idea for a movement that now has a solid chance of existing in the post-Civil War political landscape of the US, ITTL.
I call it "Southron-Socialism," a distinct strain of political thought localized in the South, upheld by all Poor Whites, but universally hated by everyone outside of that demographic.
The details are a little fuzzy, but within this TL, it is a very specific breed of Socialist Thought whose best IRL equivalent would be the short-lived 1970s-era Italian "National-Maoist" movement. It's a completely wacky ideology that would hold significant presence in the US until from the end of the Civil War to 1900, whose core tenets are:
  1. The Establishment of a Workers-Council-Based Representative-Nonpartisan "Folks-State" consisting solely of Poor Whites ("Republican" or any related words are banned)
  2. Unlimited Total Obliteration of the Southern White Bourgeoisie
  3. Mutual National Dissolution of the US into a Confederation of Ethnostates, all of which would have an amicable relationship with each other
  4. Surprisingly ahead-of-their-time Feminism, but in a really racist way
  5. Revocation of Citizenship from all "Ethnic Whites" followed by their immediate expulsion
  6. Racism is Mandatory, Race-Hatred is a capital offense.
  7. An indefinite condemnation of any violence, hatred, or general meanness to further the above tenets until Prophet Paine descends from Valhalla to rouse Divine Comrade-Patriot Robert E. Lee from his temporary slumber and back to the battlefield to lead all of humanity in the Final Revolution vanquish the Yankee Bourgeoise back to the depths of Hell, and to establish the Confederate States of Earth, uniting all of separate sub-races with their own continent-sized substates, in a renewed Eden that is truly Separate and Equal.
  8. As far as Chief-Seer Helen Keller is concerned, "All Marriage is Gay Marriage."
That's certainly wacky lmao.

Speaking of Aaron Burr, how would he be viewed ITTL?
I don't know if any of the changes here would affect his image?

Is this historically accurate?
I took the figure from Steven A. Channing's "Confederate Ordeal: The Southern Homefront." Unfortunately, it's a work of popular history, one of those that unfortunately just cite their bibliography at the end instead of using footnotes, so I can't check the sources. I looked closer into it and found the Alabama impressment law, which didn't set a prize but allowed the Governor to pay whatever he considered just. Other states did set prices, with Florida setting it at 25 dollars, Virginia at 20, and the Central government at 11, the same pay as a private. It seems that rather than a law, it's just that Alabama sometimes paid that amount.

Seriously, I think one reason it was called the Civil War was because of the emphasis on the individual and the family. There were plenty of families in which it was a civil war because you had brother fighting against brother. However, I can understand the confusion because that is really mostly only true in the border states or, at most, upper south, though there were of course a few unionists in the Deep South.
That's probably the best argument for it being a civil war, with the Union and Confederate governments disputing control over the Southern states and not the whole nation. But if we accept that definition then the American War of Independence was a civil war too - and that's something some historians say.

Lmao no. As soon as things are truly lost be sure they will be the first ones in a ship bound to Cuba or Brazil.
Reminds me of Baron Von Strucker in Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Strucker (to his men): We will never surrender!
Strucker (to his 2IC, 1 second later): I'm going to surrender.

Yes, they were right, but the main factor behind their opposition was simple racism and a love for White supremacy. I can't see any arguments pointing out that arming the enslaved is a bad idea. They seemed convinced that they would be loyal soldiers thanks to that promise of freedom. Heck, some were so delusional that they thought the Black men would serve as slaves without a promise of freedom, because under their vision they didn't want freedom in the first place.
I always find it hilarious that they had pre Bellum stories written, and a big part was the slaves would remain loyal throughout the entire war, which would always be short because the Southerners made for better soldiers compared to those "mongrel shopkeeper Yankees".

Calling them delusional is a insult to actually delusional people.

You hope he isn't? Or that he is? Frankly, something like that would be a gratuitous insult. There's no need for that, and it would be completely out of character for Grant and Lincoln.
Grant or Lincoln would never do that but I could see common soldiers acting on their own likely defacing his grave since in their minds he and all the other slaveowners or planter class who caused this war. And it's them who are prolonging the war longer it should last just because they don't want to give their powers and slaves. And that's not counting how much grief Lee caused the Union with his leadership in the field.

I assuming there plenty of hate in Union forces and there be even more when they hear that the Planter class decided to go down fighting than just end it.

I do wonder how the Implosion of the CSA would influence political thought in Europe, because ITTL, it's plain to almost everyone that the Civil War was just the Slavocrats playing pied-piper, singing the siren's song of "Racial Supremacy/Solidarity/Warfare" to trick the Poorer Whites into a Lemming-like lunge, stopping right at the edge of the cliff of combat, laughing as those foolish enough to follow them are thrown into the man-made hell of a civil war in which they had no real reason to fight.
Replace "slavocrats" with "aristocrats", "race" with "ethnic", and delete "civil", and that situation can fit almost every European Colonial Conflict and Inter-Imperial Wars, especially the Franco-Prussian War.
I anticipate that the Civil War in the US would greatly shape the way the propogandist narratives of imperial/ethnic glory unfold throughout Europe, from being fully embraced IOTL, to being roundly criticized ITTL.

Last edited:
How are the freedmen going to preserve their independent yeoman lands in the face of the march of capitalist development that will inevitably come from the north? I suppose any kind of Granger/Populist movement will include a lot more Black people or even be dominated by them - maybe we’ll see a Black William Jennings Bryan figure emerge

Such things aren't going to be well received in Britain or France. Could we see the status of belligerent of this Confederacy revoked, in favor of it being considered a mere domestic insurrection?
If nothing else it's exactly the sort of thing they would consider beneath the dignity of a civilised nation - an unspoken part of the Old World order which roughly functioned fine until WW1 (and even then, not until deep into WW1 for various reasons) was that nations and their monarchs were permitted to lose wars whilst retaining a sense of dignity, and thus losing was tolerable. If military coups against governments for losing wars became normalised, then there would be little incentive for monarchs to not fight to the last man - because in that case, they already are.

I suppose it could just be added to the laundry list of arguments against republicanism though.

I do wonder how the Implosion of the CSA would influence political thought in Europe, because ITTL, it's plain to almost everyone that the Civil War was just the Slavocrats playing pied-piper, singing the siren's song of "Racial Supremacy/Solidarity/Warfare" to trick the Poorer Whites into a Lemming-like lunge, stopping right at the edge of the cliff of combat, laughing as those foolish enough to follow them are thrown into the man-made hell of a civil war in which they had no real reason to fight.
Replace "slavocrats" with "aristocrats", "race" with "ethnic", and delete "civil", and that situation can fit almost every European Colonial Conflict and Inter-Imperial Wars, especially the Franco-Prussian War.
I anticipate that the Civil War in the US would greatly shape the way the propogandist narratives of imperial/ethnic glory unfold throughout Europe, from being fully embraced IOTL, to being roundly criticized ITTL.

In all honesty I doubt the Civil War would be seen as much more than silly Americans with their silly republican ideals doing silly republican things like fighting brutal civil wars (with all the European civil wars conveniently memory-holed for the time being). It would be beneath the serious gaze of the great powers in how they conduct their affairs because it's "only those Americans". New World affairs just weren't seen as being of equal important to Old World affairs to the Old World powers until the 20th century, it's only in hindsight with historians looking back that that stance has been re-evaluated to consider 19th century New World events as important as they really were.

It won't happen now thank goodness but I do think the first steps to a truly genocidal approach to Black people in the South starts out, ironically, with the sort of steps Breckenridge has taken by essentially nationalising the institution of slavery for the purposes of the state. Eventually the danger that body of nationalised slaves poses if they ever organise themselves independently will present a greater threat to the state than keeping them around in perpetual bondage would be and the South is already so deep down the abyss of white supremacy that it's only a short step from there to eliminationalism. Plantation slavery as an institution is much less likely to go to this outcome, hyper-obsessed as it is with maintenance of the status quo.

Whether fascism, or some other form of highly radical nationalism, emerges depends on how (and just as important, when) the IMO very inevitable outburst of liberal-nationalist revolutions in central and continental Europe occur. If the fragile alliance between socialists and liberals is shattered and nationalism approrpriate by the forces of reaction and monachy as in OTL - which frankly strike me as the modal outcomes - then the likelihood of truly radical nationalism appearing is quite high. Whether it has the specific aspects of fascism and Nazism (I would be very very surprised unfortunately if virulent anti-semitism was anything but widespread deep into the 19th century TTL) is less important than the fact that something will probably show up by the turn of the 19th-20th centuries and into the 20th century, absent some cataclysm like a French Revolution level overturning of the old order that totally reshapes the political landscape. A more radically egalitarian and more outward-looking US will have huge effects long term but for the next 50 years the US is still a more peripheral player in those affairs IMO.

Somehow in the course of writing this post I managed to completely forget that 1848 happened in... 1848, and we are already in the 1860s. In which case the rise of radical nationalism is already guaranteed IMO, and nationalism has already been thoroughly appropriated by the forces of reaction - Bismarck would already have made his "blood and iron" speech assuming it wasn't butterflied away (and even if it had, the underlying policy would not have been)

Last edited:
@Deaf Peregrine

The word revolt is generally used to describe small and short conflicts not a fullscale war. When you say revolt I image something that laste a week at most not a brutal war that lasted for years. Civil war is simply much more accurate description. Also, I not sure how calling a revolt solves your problem.
Would you prefer Confederate Rebellion?

While things termed revolts tend to be small, that's more a consequence of within state wars inherently being limited to a smaller scale than ones that involve multiple states. The Dugan Revolt lasted 15 years and killed millions. Civil War isn't accurate for reasons others have said; no one considers the Mau Mau Rebellion to be the several thousandth British Empire Civil War, and if asked "How many Roman Civil Wars were there?" very few would count each Jewish–Roman War among them; people would list wars between rival Emperors.

It solves the problem because people intuitively understand that governments don't need deep ideological motives to crush revolts as they pose an inherent threat to government power. Thus the Confederates revolting over slavery says little about what loyalists thought of the issue.

There are hints ;)
Well, I guess now is the time to reread the story then lol.
I can definitely see a movie like that lol. A very dark comedy.
This reminds me of a scene in Downfall: a bunch of hardcore die-hards talk about how they are either going to die fighting or kill themselves. Seconds later, it is announced the war is over... and only two of them actually go through with it. I imagine in a Downfall-style film ITTL, there would be a bunch of planters talking big game about a militia they had formed and lead are about to whip the Yankees... and then news comes that both all of the regular Southern armies had been forced to surrender. Cue panicked attempts to find a nice boat out of the States.
It's basically the inmates running the Asylum now. Davis may have been somewhat delusional OTL regarding the possibility of the war being won, but now the clowns who were against the draft, impressment and other such evidently necessary measures are the ones running the show.
Yeah... now I have to wonder how long it will take for the Confederacy to collapse under such circumstances. Winter is coming, which will hinder offensive operations... but this will be the worst winter of the war. Will the regular Confederate armies be able to hold together under such leadership?

@Deaf Peregrine
While things termed revolts tend to be small, that's more a consequence of within state wars inherently being limited to a smaller scale than ones that involve multiple states. The Dugan Revolt lasted 15 years and killed millions. Civil War isn't accurate for reasons others have said; no one considers the Mau Mau Rebellion to be the several thousandth British Empire Civil War, and if asked "How many Roman Civil Wars were there?" very few would count each Jewish–Roman War among them; people would list wars between rival Emperors.
I wil concede that you are correct that revolts are not always small. That said there is still one thing that make many rebellion including the ones you mention different from ACW. Confederacy was a state with all organisation that it implies. They were not just an armed group that is involved in your typical rebellion. Rebellions are also often thought I suppose not always irrelugar conflicts. ACW definetly was not since as I already said Confederacy was a full fledget state.