Was Malta ever really that high in Italy's list of priorities to begin with?
Malta was historically a major part of Sicily, and only became separated during the French (and later British) occupation of the nation. While Malta wasn't exactly high on the list, especially when compared to Savoy, Dalmatia, and Tunisia, it would be necessary to secure the Mediterranean due to it's strategic value as a port (or denying it to anyone else). If Italy can get their hands on it, they would in a heartbeat.

Malta was historically a major part of Sicily, and only became separated during the French (and later British) occupation of the nation. While Malta wasn't exactly high on the list, especially when compared to Savoy, Dalmatia, and Tunisia, it would be necessary to secure the Mediterranean due to it's strategic value as a port (or denying it to anyone else). If Italy can get their hands on it, they would in a heartbeat.
Which is why they won't get it, unless it's to independence there is no way Britain gives up it's control of any of the naval choke points world Certainly not to a power that wants to turn the Med into an Italian lake.

Which is why they won't get it, unless it's to independence there is no way Britain gives up it's control of any of the naval choke points world Certainly not to a power that wants to turn the Med into an Italian lake.
I think Malta officially being part of Britain would be interesting tho.

Britain is definitely going to come out of the colonial era with more territory than IRL, that's for sure. (As will every other colonial power.) I just hate them owning little territorial extensions of other nations--the Channel Islands, Malta, Gibraltar, Cyprus, etc.

Britain is definitely going to come out of the colonial era with more territory than IRL, that's for sure. (As will every other colonial power.) I just hate them owning little territorial extensions of other nations--the Channel Islands, Malta, Gibraltar, Cyprus, etc.
France owning parts of the world is already cursed, not the Brits too!

I personnally want to take over the British government so I can undo this travesty

The other three are reasonable, (though Gibraltar has voted to stay solely British by 90+% margins every time its brought up) but the Channel Islands is just ridiculous. Sure its closer to France than England, but that's like saying Denmark shouldn't own the Faroe islands because they're closer to Scotland.

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
A little territorial extension of which nation is Malta?

The other three are reasonable, (though Gibraltar has voted to stay solely British by 90+% margins every time its brought up) but the Channel Islands is just ridiculous. Sure its closer to France than England, but that's like saying Denmark shouldn't own the Faroe islands because they're closer to Scotland.
Oh of course, the Channel Islands are completely British by the 20th century. But from a map maker's perspective, I hate it haha
A little territorial extension of which nation is Malta?
Sicily, and by extension Italy. Obviously the will of the people overrule that, but when speaking of ideal borders...

Last edited:
Oh of course, the Channel Islands are completely British by the 20th century. But from a map maker's perspective, I hate it haha

Sicily, and by extension Italy. Obviously the will of the people overrule that, but when speaking of ideal borders...
TBF Malta's been under non Italian control pretty much forever by this point and the culture's have diverged. Also given independence will probably come up at around the time when Italy is a defeated power in a war and probably being sat on it unlikely they'd want to give them a "reward" like that. Add in the will of them who live there and it's a Falklands situation and granting (unwanted) independence is the only option other than simply letting them join up as a fifth home nation.

TBF Malta's been under non Italian control pretty much forever by this point and the culture's have diverged. Also given independence will probably come up at around the time when Italy is a defeated power in a war and probably being sat on it unlikely they'd want to give them a "reward" like that. Add in the will of them who live there and it's a Falklands situation and granting (unwanted) independence is the only option other than simply letting them join up as a fifth home nation.
I think that Malta will probably end up becoming a permanent part of Britain in my story. I just don't see any other option being likely

I think that Malta will probably end up becoming a permanent part of Britain in my story. I just don't see any other option being likely
On that note, I assume Britain will be hanging on to more random islands around the world similar to how France has all those random islands (and French Guiana) IOTL?

On that note, I assume Britain will be hanging on to more random islands around the world similar to how France has all those random islands (and French Guiana) IOTL?
Malta really is the only one we gave up anyway. Everything else that small stayed as they simply can't function on their own (or in the case of the Falklands would very quickly go take over half of Argentina if we weren't around).

Malta really is the only one we gave up anyway. Everything else that small stayed as they simply can't function on their own (or in the case of the Falklands would very quickly go take over half of Argentina if we weren't around).
I was thinking of Britain having colonial possessions similar to New Caledonia, Martinique, Reunion, or French Polynesia ITTL with my comment.

I don´t know, the channel islands are the last part of normandie that the English have, would you deprive them of that now
Obviously it is Italy and Tunis that is part of Malta, and not the other way

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
The Channel Islands are so British because the duke who owned them and Normandy, William the Bastard conquered England in 1066. Blame him, not Britain.