They would still need proper farmland and population in order to support all those factories which the USSR was providing even during the worst years of Nazi invasion.
Arable land which still exists from Samara to Krasnoyarsk (albeit in smaller amounts), which is why the Soviets could support such "large" cities in Siberia; they can import too, which they also did OTL. Of course, that's not enough food or people to actually retake Moscow, St Petersburg or Volgograd, but definitely enough to make White Russia worried about such an event.

Last edited:
Considering that we know that France will be an instigator of an incident that would cause millions to be killed by French hands I think France will be integral to how the next war happens, and would be seen to be 'in the wrong' in the next war to come in chapter 10:
Good hypothesis, though I'll add that there are lots of things which can lead to the deaths of millions, and war is only one of them

Good hypothesis, though I'll add that there are lots of things which can lead to the deaths of millions, and war is only one of them
If it isn't war then it's likely eugenics related or related to wars of colonialism, but with how you framed it it could be either one of the three (I'm don't think France is going to cause a pandemic lmao).

If it isn't war then it's likely eugenics related or related to wars of colonialism, but with how you framed it it could be either one of the three (I'm don't think France is going to cause a pandemic lmao).
Or France doing artificial famines in Algeria or Indochina in response to the locals getting uppity.

Or France doing artificial famines in Algeria or Indochina in response to the locals getting uppity.
That’s also a possibility, although if it’s by that metric the British also shed millions of innocent blood in Ireland and Burma, and I think the wording is too dramatic for it.

If anything I think the next few years would only push France together with Italy, and I wouldn’t be surprised if France becomes fascist.

That’s also a possibility, although if it’s by that metric the British also shed millions of innocent blood in Ireland and Burma, and I think the wording is too dramatic for it.

If anything I think the next few years would only push France together with Italy, and I wouldn’t be surprised if France becomes fascist.
One thing that I am going to be leaning into in this story is that there is a huge spectrum between classical Conservatism and Fascism, and that you can be fascist but keep Conservative elements, and vice-versa. Portugal, for example, had fascist elements, but didn't consider themselves fascist, while Austria was nearly identical but many within Austria did and do see it as fascist. France doesn't have to go fascist to be considered pro-Mussolini, same as how the ostensibly Republican governments in Germany and France befriended the Soviets

This will go for the Liberal-Communist spectrum too, but with Europe and the world as a whole leaning a bit more Right here, that nuance will take a while before it becomes more mainstream

One thing that I am going to be leaning into in this story is that there is a huge spectrum between classical Conservatism and Fascism, and that you can be fascist but keep Conservative elements, and vice-versa. Portugal, for example, had fascist elements, but didn't consider themselves fascist, while Austria was nearly identical but many within Austria did and do see it as fascist. France doesn't have to go fascist to be considered pro-Mussolini, same as how the ostensibly Republican governments in Germany and France befriended the Soviets

This will go for the Liberal-Communist spectrum too, but with Europe and the world as a whole leaning a bit more Right here, that nuance will take a while before it becomes more mainstream
On that note, with the Action Francaise being the dominant force in the French Right, I could see the main difference between a right-wing France and Fascist Italy in ideology being that while Italian Fascism is an ideology built around a "national revolution" and has roots in national-syndicalist thought while the right-wing regime in Paris is self-consciously reactionary in tone and rhetoric with its nostalgic views on the ancien regime and all that.

On that note, with the Action Francaise being the dominant force in the French Right, I could see the main difference between a right-wing France and Fascist Italy in ideology being that while Italian Fascism is an ideology built around a "national revolution" and has roots in national-syndicalist thought while the right-wing regime in Paris is self-consciously reactionary in tone and rhetoric with its nostalgic views on the ancien regime and all that.
Somewhat, yes. Also, while Italian Fascism put a big emphasis on, like you said, the "national revolution", which idealised the formation of a new societal and governmental order, a (hypothetical) Far-Right French government would be more focused on purging the echoes of the old Revolution and forming a France envisioned as a successor to the ancien régime rather than a direct contrast to it. Monarchism was definitely present, but it seemed to never gain much ground with the common folk, in part because of the continuous debate over the ideal candidate.

One interesting point is that the French minorities are not going to be happy either way. The dominsnt Alsatian Autonomy Party, for example, was originally pro-Communist, despite the region being quite Conservative, but quickly faced pushback since Communists advocated for a centralised state where nationality was irrelevant, and many Alsatians turned to thr Right. The Conservatives, meanwhile, opposed granting special rights to potential "disloyals", and many saw Alsatians as "foreigners", same as Jews and Protestants. Ironic, since in general Maurras and his ilk opposed centralism

Last edited:
Somewhat, yes. Also, while Italian Fascism put a big emphasis on, like you said, the "national revolution", which idealised the formation of a new societal and governmental order, a (hypothetical) Far-Right French government would be more focused on purging the echoes of the old Revolution and forming a France envisioned as a successor to the ancien régime rather than a direct contrast to it. Monarchism was definitely present, but it seemed to never gain much ground with the common folk, in part because of the continuous debate over the ideal candidate.

One interesting point is that the French minorities are not going to be happy either way. The dominsnt Alsatian Autonomy Party, for example, was originally pro-Communist, despite the region being quite Conservative, but quickly faced pushback since Communists advocated for a centralised state where nationality was irrelevant, and many Alsatians turned to thr Right. The Conservatives, meanwhile, opposed granting special rights to potential "disloyals", and many saw Alsatians as "foreigners", same as Jews and Protestants. Ironic, since in general Maurras and his ilk opposed centralism
Hmm that's interesting, I could see things getting very sketchy for France if they go too ham on centralisation, especially for regions like Brittany and Aquitaine where Breton and Occitan speakers would be chafing under French designs. I could very much see those regions have a lot more want for a separate state from France due to the centralisation.

and ofc Alsace-lorraine would be unhappy about how they're basically shafted by the centralisation. I could see Germany making the case that the ppl of alasce are good germans under the crushing brutality of France and I could see Britain getting to the point where they would agree.

Hmm that's interesting, I could see things getting very sketchy for France if they go too ham on centralisation, especially for regions like Brittany and Aquitaine where Breton and Occitan speakers would be chafing under French designs. I could very much see those regions have a lot more want for a separate state from France due to the centralisation.

and ofc Alsace-lorraine would be unhappy about how they're basically shafted by the centralisation. I could see Germany making the case that the ppl of alasce are good germans under the crushing brutality of France and I could see Britain getting to the point where they would agree.
It is actually very fascinating to me how, according to the 1936 electoral map, the areas most opposed to the Popular Front were Brittany, Alsace-Lorraine, and Corsica, the biggest minority regions. What they wanted was autonomy under a Catholic, Conservative government, but what was being pushed was either a Centralist, Communist one or a regionalist but French nationalist one. They really had no good options, and it sort of makes one understand why it took something worse, like the Nazis, to really break the idea of seperation

It is actually very fascinating to me how, according to the 1936 electoral map, the areas most opposed to the Popular Front were Brittany, Alsace-Lorraine, and Corsica, the biggest minority regions. What they wanted was autonomy under a Catholic, Conservative government, but what was being pushed was either a Centralist, Communist one or a regionalist but French nationalist one. They really had no good options, and it sort of makes one understand why it took something worse, like the Nazis, to really break the idea of seperation.
yeah without the insanity of the Nazis I think these secessionist movements would have a lot more steam and a lot more patrons ie. Germany to support them if the French fall far into conservatism and centralisation. It would be cool if we see the breaking of France during de-colonisation or an alt WWII where the French attack the germans out of desperation as they know doing nothing would only make their prospects worse.

Problem is that by the 1920-1930's, the Occitan speakers were already in severe decline with the Bretons not having it as bad but still going down and if we're being honest, it would just be a fascist Frace speedrunning what they were already doing to minority languages.

Nah tbh, Germans had washed their hands clean of that region not only to avoid bad relations with France but because the population never wanted them there, even with a much more centralized government there would've still be many people who were alive and remember and heard at how bad things were under the Germans.

Seriously, France, which did not disintegrate in the Wars of Religion, the French Revolution, the end of Napoleon's Empire, the Revolution of 1832, the end of the monarchy in 1848, the Franco-Prussian war and the Paris Commune, will disintegrate due to "excess" of centralization?

How strong was the support for extremes like Fascism or Communism within Turkey in this era? I know that there was a bit of pull in each direction but was it ever anything significant?

Problem is that by the 1920-1930's, the Occitan speakers were already in severe decline with the Bretons not having it as bad but still going down and if we're being honest, it would just be a fascist Frace speedrunning what they were already doing to minority languages.

Nah tbh, Germans had washed their hands clean of that region not only to avoid bad relations with France but because the population never wanted them there, even with a much more centralized government there would've still be many people who were alive and remember and heard at how bad things were under the Germans.
My thoughts on it basically are that 'if Britain wants to punish France I don't think anyone will be able to stop them', and a lot of things could allow Britain to split the nation. At least corsica is doable if Britain is sufficiently angered, as is Brittany and Alsace-Lorraine.

I think at most we'd just see a federalised France with very good minority language protections just to prevent it from ever happening much like Scottish protection in the eighties, and maaaaybe Alsace-Lorraine is given back to Germany.
How strong was the support for extremes like Fascism or Communism within Turkey in this era? I know that there was a bit of pull in each direction but was it ever anything significant?
I think it'd be similar to otl unless turkey is in WWII. their political system periodically loosens and tightens their control over the people, and I don't see things being different.

And communist parties in turkey historically are more accepted by the Kurds than the turks. It would be interesting if the Kurds make a Muslim-communist thing tho.

My thoughts on it basically are that 'if Britain wants to punish France I don't think anyone will be able to stop them', and a lot of things could allow Britain to split the nation. At least corsica is doable if Britain is sufficiently angered, as is Brittany and Alsace-Lorraine.
You overestimate British power and underestimate French power.

I think at most we'd just see a federalised France with very good minority language protections just to prevent it from ever happening much like Scottish protection in the eighties, and maaaaybe Alsace-Lorraine is given back to Germany.
I don't see them doing that tbh, Britain always wanted powers strong enough in the continent to prevent the formation of a super country which could successfully overcome it, so while ITTL they have better relations with Germany and are very frustrated with the French, Britain wouldn't allow something like naked German annexation of her territories(especially because it would make them look like hypocrites who cried about the Saar but are willing to put the French in the same situation, again) nor would she want something like Brittany and Corsica to separate(as these territories would just vote themselves back into being French unless they're being held at gunpoint) because beyond only pissing off the closest thing they have to a major ally in the continent, would make them look even bigger hypocrites where they gain nothing and lose a lot.

Britain is more strained with France and better cozy with Germany but they're not stupid, they rather keep a France around to offset German supremacy because the only other power capable of standing up to Germany is the USSR an they would never do that short of a WW2 situation.

You overestimate British power and underestimate French power.
To add to this, any war between Britain and France would most likely have Germany backing Britain, and in that case Britain really won't be in the position to dictate a peace deal since Germany would do all the fighting, unless somehow Germany was overrun. As said before, British Power in this era was about half-real, half-illusion based on precedent, so if Germany wants Alsace-Lorraine, Britain really can't do much to stop them. If, for some reason, Britain has to fight and beat the French alone, that's a different story, of course.

Occitania will not be going independent, though. Even the Nazis didn't go that far; there is no way even an authoritarian Germany or Britain would do something that extreme. At best I'd see them lose French Flanders, Corsica, Brittany, and the Basque and maybe Catalonian zones, but even those last two feel like a big stretch.

I will say, though, that any hypothetical future war between Germany and France would lead to a complicated peace deal, as Britain must both assuage German hunger while also preventing continental hegemony. Someone like von Lettow-Vorbeck certainly wouldn't hesitate to push the border all the way to Nancy and Verdun.

Britain is more strained with France and better cozy with Germany but they're not stupid, they rather keep a France around to offset German supremacy because the only other power capable of standing up to Germany is the USSR an they would never do that short of a WW2 situation.
Well-said. Britain seems really cozy with Germany just based on our ability to contrast it to real life, but frankly all they've done is allow Germany to do something they would've already done anyway, just with the illusion of Britian having a say, and nodding their head while Germany legally annexed some land. They are hardly good chums, just... cordial.

Well-said. Britain seems really cozy with Germany just based on our ability to contrast it to real life, but frankly all they've done is allow Germany to do something they would've already done anyway, just with the illusion of Britian having a say, and nodding their head while Germany legally annexed some land. They are hardly good chums, just... cordial.
I think this might also be just me, but I think that if push comes to shove, Britain would back France, they're easier to... Nudge in the right direction and having them be stronger is preferable to Germany being stronger(because they're not as easy to push around) and because France wouldn't be able to take significant territory outside of maybe the Saar, it would still leave Germany strong enough to act as counter against the USSR and keep the status quo in Central(and to a lesser extent, Eastern) Europe that only benefits Britain not having to intervene there.

As said before, British Power in this era was about half-real, half-illusion based on precedent, so if Germany wants Alsace-Lorraine, Britain really can't do much to stop them. If, for some reason, Britain has to fight and beat the French alone, that's a different story, of course.
People always say ww2 was what killed the big colonial empires but I would argue it was WW1 that did it as it put them into immense debt, loss of life and the use of colonial troops raised a generation of Africans and Asians that were to become politically active and demand more and more rights for their people. Even without a WW2, outside of some important colonies, maintaining the huge empires is not a viable thing, so there's something for Britain to stress over in places like the Raj or the Middle East.

To add to this, any war between Britain and France would most likely have Germany backing Britain, and in that case Britain really won't be in the position to dictate a peace deal since Germany would do all the fighting, unless somehow Germany was overrun. As said before, British Power in this era was about half-real, half-illusion based on precedent, so if Germany wants Alsace-Lorraine, Britain really can't do much to stop them. If, for some reason, Britain has to fight and beat the French alone, that's a different story, of course.
I do agree that Germany prob would gain Alsace-Lorraine, but I do think they'll probably not agitate for anything more except Corsican independence/unification with Italy, which I doubt would happen considering how Germany don't care about Italy either. But if the germans want it, I see corsica as the most likely region outside of Alsace-Lorraine to be lost.
Is the federalisation of France with strong minority language laws a weakened France? It is definitely not run the way the French would want, but their power is still very much present.

And if France loses any hypothetical alt WWII and with Germany being the victor they're going to be punished no matter what. If Germany ensures that French society still functioned well enough I think it would work. tbf as with any war it is about winning the peace after the guns go silent.
I will say, though, that any hypothetical future war between Germany and France would lead to a complicated peace deal, as Britain must both assuage German hunger while also preventing continental hegemony. Someone like von Lettow-Vorbeck certainly wouldn't hesitate to push the border all the way to Nancy and Verdun.
probably yeah. I defo see a few factions calling for the full scale destruction of France while Lettow-Vorbeck would want a milder peace deal so France wouldn't go through what weimar Germany went through.
I think this might also be just me, but I think that if push comes to shove, Britain would back France, they're easier to... Nudge in the right direction and having them be stronger is preferable to Germany being stronger(because they're not as easy to push around) and because France wouldn't be able to take significant territory outside of maybe the Saar, it would still leave Germany strong enough to act as counter against the USSR and keep the status quo in Central(and to a lesser extent, Eastern) Europe that only benefits Britain not having to intervene there.
There's no nudging something into the right direction when they're going right off the deep end tho, which is what France would be post 1937, and even with French atrocities being in France proper, Algeria and Indochina I think the repercussions would make Britain move towards Germany. Britain can't exactly be allied with France who's either started WWII or attempted to commit genocide in either French territory or Algeria. The PR would be absolutely abysmal.

I do see the UK attempting to nurture France into the power it once was tho, and attempt to make German demands less damaging to French interests, and maybe making a customs union to ensure European cooperation between the great powers of Europe against the soviet menace.
People always say ww2 was what killed the big colonial empires but I would argue it was WW1 that did it as it put them into immense debt, loss of life and the use of colonial troops raised a generation of Africans and Asians that were to become politically active and demand more and more rights for their people. Even without a WW2, outside of some important colonies, maintaining the huge empires is not a viable thing, so there's something for Britain to stress over in places like the Raj or the Middle East.
I think WWII definitely hastened the death of empire tho. Without the war I think Britain could've held on to some possessions for longer since they'd not be in debt and the Royal Navy would be in much better shape, even though I would agree with you that with nationalism and the spreading of industrialisation the days of empire are numbered.