AHC: Maximise the number of countries that exist in the world

So recently I was looking at all those maps on Reddit where people break up large countries, usually along ethnic lines. You know what I'm talking about:
(Credit to u/burritoburkito6 for this one)

Looking at all of these balkanisation maps has got me thinking about just how many countries could theoretically exist in the world today... I'd like to try an alternate history challenge. With as many PoDs as required after January 1, 1901, what is the maximum number of sovereign states that can be achieved in the world?

- Separate Bavaria from Germany after WW2.
- Italy divides on some reason as two nations (Italy and Padania).
- Independent Quebec.
- In Africa is lot of possibilities.
- Palestinians and Arab nations accept division plan in 1948.
- Keep Tibet and East Turkestan as independent.
- More balkanised India. Perhaps even balkanised Pakistan.
- Dissolution of Soviet Union is even more messier and there is at least independent Chechnya, Dagestan, Tatarstan and Tuva.
- Independent Scotland.

So with really good/bad luck (depending whom you are asking) you could have something like 250 independent nations.

Have every Soviet republic independent in 1991 (all SSRs and ASSRs), Tibet and Xinjiang free from China for whatever reason, South Africa balkanizes and the bantustans semi-survive, Tannu Tuva, Kashmir, and Sikkim stay independent. Hong Kong and Macau are independent city-states. Kosovo is recognized, Cyprus is divided into the Turkish north and Cypriot Greek south once and for all, the UAE never officially unites thus essentially staying separately sovereign states (but in a special confederation that means its essentially our UAE but less often agreement since no rotation of top Emir). Umm..... Catalonia independent too?

Have every Soviet republic independent in 1991 (all SSRs and ASSRs), Tibet and Xinjiang free from China for whatever reason, South Africa balkanizes and the bantustans semi-survive, Tannu Tuva, Kashmir, and Sikkim stay independent. Hong Kong and Macau are independent city-states. Kosovo is recognized, Cyprus is divided into the Turkish north and Cypriot Greek south once and for all, the UAE never officially unites thus essentially staying separately sovereign states (but in a special confederation that means its essentially our UAE but less often agreement since no rotation of top Emir). Umm..... Catalonia independent too?

Speaking of South Africa, you could have somehow, the Orange Free State and Transvaal not merging with the Cape Colony in the first place...

Recreate the Holy Roman Empire. Job done, home for tea and crumpets.

But by 1901 it won't be the same thing. Not unless you go out and try to reestablish all the ecclesiastical states, imperial counties, free cities, give back the lands of the imperial knights...