The Reign of Emperor Xiaomu of Han (A Han Dynasty TL)

An Uneasy Rescue.
As a disclaimer, since this is a story that takes place in Han Dynasty China I'm making the effort to abide by the use of courtesy or style names. These names are names that would be said in place of one's given name by peers or people younger than you to be respectful, although I might be using them more than they were used. Also, I'm using the East Asian naming order of family/surname first, given name second. ie: Liu Bian instead of Bian Liu, with Liu being the family name and Bian his given name. A notable person of this period would be Cao Cao, for this story, he would be referred to as Cao Mengde, except in possibly informal situations.

September 22nd, 189 CE (First year of the era Guingxi)

Sili Province, Han Dynasty

On the outskirts west of Luo Yang a carriage had stopped near the northern river bank of the Luohe River, its wheel had broken upon a rock. It was carrying just a few of the many people trying to desperately leave the Imperial Capital of the Great Han, although it would not look that way if one saw it. As flames rose from one of the palaces in the city, violence filled the streets.

Inside the carriage were not ordinary citizens of the city or even officials, but Emperor Liu Bian, and his younger brother the Prince of Chenliu, Liu Xie. However, they were not men expected to fight, but merely children, and their guards could not handle what was the chaos of armies clashing in the streets. [1]

Bian was breathing heavily, trying not to panic from the chaos around him. He only knew that this situation was happening because he was valuable. Why else would the Ten Regular Attendants capture them and send them away? Where was his mother, she was let go two days ago, but was she still alive?

Before Bian could think any further the sound of arrows whistled passed hitting their targets as shouts and cries seemed to surround the carriage.

"Protect the Emperor and the Prince." The speaker's voice drew closer and soon a face came into view it was Zhang Rang, leader of the Ten Regular Attendants. He was a close aide to his father and to him. But even if his father said Rang was a father figure to him, he never felt much like a grandfather. [2]

Rang had poked his head further into the carriage, with his hand urging them to come out quickly.

The emperor and his brother stepped out to the sounds and sights of death. They were beset again by more soldiers after the Ten Attendants, their once splendid robes dirtied by the terrain.

"Your Majesty, it is no longer safe for you here. While we are to be destroyed you must compose yourself." Zhang Rang said as his face became pale. Gulping he jumped into the waters of the Luohe.

"Brother I think we can hide in these reeds." At his younger brother's urging they ran to cover as the sounds of more fighting grew ever closer.

Bian looked out and saw someone get stabbed in the gut. His hands shook, and he could not help but throw up. He felt his brother's arms wrap around him.

"Thank you, Xie." His brother only nodded.

"Commander, we've found footsteps. They led this way." Both children panicked.

"What if they have come to kill us?" The young Emperor tried not to lose control.

"They need us alive, we are the Emperor's sons."

The footsteps drew closer, two rough-faced soldiers looked through the foliage and had found them. They quickly gave a bow before turning around.

"We've found them! We found the Emperor and the young prince!" A few soldiers had gathered around, some bowing, a few others offering friendly smiles.

Moments later two men on horseback came one who looked like an official, the other a general of the army. Bian swore he knew them, but before he could ask. The official and general dismounted their horses and kneeled.

"Your Majesty, I am Lu Zugan, Master of Writing. The official said, still not looking up. [3]

"I am Min Gong, commander of these local forces. We are here to take you back to the Imperial Palace, Your Majesties."

"We are most grateful." Truthfully he did not know what to say or believe, Bian looked back towards the River where the body of Zhang Rang had finally come to the surface. 'Father, if I could call him that outside of our shared blood, trusted these men. Mother also trusted these men, and have they not put both of them in danger? Why did his uncle send forces against them if his parents trusted them?'

A burning question remained on the young emperor's mind. What exactly happened to his mother?"

"Master Zugan, do you know where my mother is." The old man seemed to smile, Bian hoped he already had his answer. [4]

"Two days ago, we managed to rescue her from the Attendants, although I am sorry we did not rescue all of you at once."

Both Zugan and Gong brought their horses forward.

"Your Majesty, you and your brother should not have to walk."

The two young men were helped up on the horses and were then guided back along the road to the Imperial Capital in the east.

Bian had rode close to his younger brother. "Brother, do we know these men serve?"

"I only know they oppose the Ten Attendants. Perhaps they serve our uncle?" [5]

The small group started to march back to Luo Yang. As they reached the road, right behind them was a large army with some horsemen racing ahead of them.

One of the horsemen stopped.

"Halt!"

Bian swore he saw Zugan give a disgusted look at the army behind them.

"I have been sent by my commander Dong Zhou, who operates under the authority of the General in Chief." [6]

"I am one of the General in Chief's advisors, I killed the Regular Attendants who had captured His Majesty and the Prince of Chenliu."

"Hmph, my commander will be the one to judge that." The horseman had ridden off.

"Are we to wait for them? While we have the Emperor in tow?" Gong asked.

"It would prevent confusing things further, as dangerous as this situation is. As much as I warned the General in Chief to not trust Dong Zhou." Bian did not know who this general was, but it seemed Zugan didn't like him.

'Why don't Uncle's supporters trust each other?' It was a question Bian believed he could ask later.

Seconds started to seem like minutes until another man clad in general's armor rode up toward them. His face seemed almost expressionless to the young emperor except for the eyes, they reminded him somewhat of a tiger. his figure was big but intimidating.

The man dismounted and bowed towards the two young men "Your Majesties."

"Who are you?" Bian hoped he could mask his fear.

"I am Dong Zhongying, General of the Vanguard. Your Uncle sent for my aid. How exactly did you end up in this situation? It is unacceptable." Zhongying seemed to glare at Zugan

Bian had steeled himself. "I do not know too much. The regular attendants said my Uncle had planned to overthrow us. They had led us out of the capital for two days, we were just rescued by Master Zugan." [7]

The General seemed to nod. "Very well, I shall accompany you back to the Capital. Their procession had started moving again toward the capital.

The young emperor could not help but notice Zugan glare at the General, but the General soon rode up to him.

"Have you heard any news of the General in Chief?" Zugan stopped glaring for once and a look of sorrow replaced it."

"We were sent out to find the Emperor and his brother. We had last heard the attendants may have killed him."

"How? He had an army with him?" Bian could hear the shock and outrage in the general's voice.

"He went into the palace with only a few guards, he was tricked by the Ten Attendants."

"That fool." Zugan reluctantly nodded as if even that seemed too much, "Why? Why would he go into the lair of those damned parasites?"

"A letter was forged and sent in the name of the Empress Dowager."

'Did my mother truly send that letter?' Bian at least knew she kept in contact with the Ten Regular Attendants.

"This is why we need strength. For too long the Emperor let those attendants rule and do whatever they wished."

"You are right about the late Emperor, but strength without forethought just leaves the land open to more cruelty."

"Do you think Uncle-, the General in Chief is still alive?" The young emperor asked of both men interrupting their conversation.

"Knowing those rats, he might be dead. I am sorry." The Zhongying's words had seemed genuine if a little rough.

Two hours had passed with relative silence until they reached the open gates of Luo Yang. The city streets were cleared of what few bodies Bian could remember from being brought out of the palace. The streets were lined with soldiers, his soldiers, or they acted like it. But if the Attendants are dead, and possibly so is his uncle, who is going to be his new protector.

At the end of streets lined by soldiers were several men wearing ornate uniforms. The young Emperor tried not to notice the palace had looked burnt as they neared the small group at the end. As they neared this other group they all bowed as the two sons of the late Emperor rode to the head of procession.

"Your Majesty. We are glad you are safe. I am Yuan Benchu, an aide to your uncle, the General in Chief." [8]

"Is he still alive?" The man seemed to slightly smile.

"He was wounded, but he barely survived." Bian thought he heard sighing from behind him from the generals who found him. [9]

"I am relieved and would like nothing more than to see him soon. However, what is to happen after all of this?"

"We are to rebuild, and hopefully bring peace back to the land." The aide's remark felt optimistic but cautiously unsure.

The Emperor could not feel such optimism for he wondered what had changed. Perhaps he could understand when he was older, but was the Son of Heaven supposed to feel so powerless? All that could wait, for now at least this crisis was over and he could sleep somewhere that wasn't a camp.

[1] Liu Bian better known as Emperor Shao, because he died at a young age. Liu Xis is his younger half-brother who succeeded him as Emperor Xian, the last Han Emperor.

[2] Zhang Rang was the head of a group known as the Ten Regular Attendants or the Ten Enuchs these were men who had considerable sway over Emperor Ling of Han. Zhang Rang historically died this way.

[3] Lu Zhi Courtesy name: Zigan. Lu Zhi was a famed scholar and general who was the teacher of people like the warlord Gongsun Zan and Liu Bei, founder of the State of Shu-Han.

[4] Empress He, was the mother of Liu Bian. She was the first concubine of Emperor Ling who gave him a healthy son.

[5] He Jin. The brother of Empress He, Who was a butcher before rapidly rising up the ranks from Administrator of Yingchuan to General-in-Chief against the Yellow Scarves/Yellow Turbans.

[6] Dong Zhou, Courtesy name, Zhongying. Famous for deposing Emperor Shao, and later having him killed after putting Liu Xie the Prince of Chen Liu on the throne as Emperor Xian.

[7] Two days prior He Jin attempted to outmaneuver and arrest the Ten Regular Attendants, but they ended up tricking and killing him.

[8] Yuan Shao, Cortesy name Benchu. A member of the prestigious Yuan family, and rival of Cao Cao for control of the Central Plains of China.

[9] Something of a 'big' part of the POD, along with Liu Bian making a better impression on Dong Zhou. Here He Jin is not quite dead, but I don't think he is going to be long for the world.

Guess who is back with, another TL about a period of time inspired by his love of Koei games, and reading a translation of a 14th-century novel? Anyway, this is going to be a limited and admittedly episodic idea, especially since I am throwing a hell of things out of the equation of the period that's going to be largely confined. Although I'm always going to doubt my ability to do the period justice. Xiaomu is meant to be what Emperor Shao's posthumous name is meant to be instead of Shao, and it means filial and solemn.

Map of the Eastern Han Dynasty 189
qyvr.jpg

This is a map of the Han Dynasty, specifically a map of the thirteen provinces of the Han Dynasty, and their commandery subdivisions, mind you it also isn't my map. However, there are several things you have to take note of. The Han Dynasty's actual control is much smaller than this, in the provinces of Yi, Jing, Yang, and Jiaozhi The further south you go the less control even a local government had. This was without the crises that preceded and succeeded the Yellow Scarves Revolt of 184. Afterward, central authority began to collapse with power placed in the hands of local leaders who started to raise their own armies. It is in this context that this story is going to take place.

Edit: I found out who did this map it was Joltie, and Forceman 1944 on Imgur

Last edited:
As a disclaimer, since this is a story that takes place in Han Dynasty China I'm making the effort to abide by the use of courtesy or style names. These names are names that would be said in place of one's given name by peers or people younger than you to be respectful, although I might be using them more than they were used. Also, I'm using the East Asian naming order of family/surname first, given name second. ie: Liu Bian instead of Bian Liu, with Liu being the family name and Bian his given name. A notable person of this period would be Cao Cao, for this story, he would be referred to as Cao Mengde, except in possibly informal situations.

September 22nd, 189 CE (First year of the era Guingxi)

Sili Province, Han Dynasty

On the outskirts west of Luo Yang a carriage had stopped near the northern river bank of the Luohe River, its wheel had broken upon a rock. It was carrying just a few of the many people trying to desperately leave the Imperial Capital of the Great Han, although it would not look that way if one saw it. As flames rose from one of the palaces in the city, violence filled the streets.

Inside the carriage were not ordinary citizens of the city or even officials, but Emperor Liu Bian, and his younger brother the Prince of Chenliu, Liu Xie. However, they were not men expected to fight, but merely children, and their guards could not handle what was the chaos of armies clashing in the streets. [1]

Bian was breathing heavily, trying not to panic from the chaos around him. He only knew that this situation was happening because he was valuable. Why else would the Ten Regular Attendants capture them and send them away? Where was his mother, she was let go two days ago, but was she still alive?

Before Bian could think any further the sound of arrows whistled passed hitting their targets as shouts and cries seemed to surround the carriage.

"Protect the Emperor and the Prince." The speaker's voice drew closer and soon a face came into view it was Zhang Rang, leader of the Ten Regular Attendants. He was a close aide to his father and to him. But even if his father said Rang was a father figure to him, he never felt much like a grandfather. [2]

Rang had poked his head further into the carriage, with his hand urging them to come out quickly.

The emperor and his brother stepped out to the sounds and sights of death. They were beset again by more soldiers after the Ten Attendants, their once splendid robes dirtied by the terrain.

"Your Majesty, it is no longer safe for you here. While we are to be destroyed you must compose yourself." Zhang Rang said as his face became pale. Gulping he jumped into the waters of the Luohe.

"Brother I think we can hide in these reeds." At his younger brother's urging they ran to cover as the sounds of more fighting grew ever closer.

Bian looked out and saw someone get stabbed in the gut. His hands shook, and he could not help but throw up. He felt his brother's arms wrap around him.

"Thank you, Xie." His brother only nodded.

"Commander, we've found footsteps. They led this way." Both children panicked.

"What if they have come to kill us?" The young Emperor tried not to lose control.

"They need us alive, we are the Emperor's sons."

The footsteps drew closer, two rough-faced soldiers looked through the foliage and had found them. They quickly gave a bow before turning around.

"We've found them! We found the Emperor and the young prince!" A few soldiers had gathered around, some bowing, a few others offering friendly smiles.

Moments later two men on horseback came one who looked like an official, the other a general of the army. Bian swore he knew them, but before he could ask. The official and general dismounted their horses and kneeled.

"Your Majesty, I am Lu Zugan, Master of Writing. The official said, still not looking up. [3]

"I am Min Gong, commander of these local forces. We are here to take you back to the Imperial Palace, Your Majesties."

"We are most grateful." Truthfully he did not know what to say or believe, Bian looked back towards the River where the body of Zhang Rang had finally come to the surface. 'Father, if I could call him that outside of our shared blood, trusted these men. Mother also trusted these men, and have they not put both of them in danger? Why did his uncle send forces against them if his parents trusted them?'

A burning question remained on the young emperor's mind. What exactly happened to his mother?"

"Master Zugan, do you know where my mother is." The old man seemed to smile, Bian hoped he already had his answer. [4]

"Two days ago, we managed to rescue her from the Attendants, although I am sorry we did not rescue all of you at once."

Both Zugan and Gong brought their horses forward.

"Your Majesty, you and your brother should not have to walk."

The two young men were helped up on the horses and were then guided back along the road to the Imperial Capital in the east.

Bian had rode close to his younger brother. "Brother, do we know these men serve?"

"I only know they oppose the Ten Attendants. Perhaps they serve our uncle?" [5]

The small group started to march back to Luo Yang. As they reached the road, right behind them was a large army with some horsemen racing ahead of them.

One of the horsemen stopped.

"Halt!"

Bian swore he saw Zugan give a disgusted look at the army behind them.

"I have been sent by my commander Dong Zhou, who operates under the authority of the General in Chief." [6]

"I am one of the General in Chief's advisors, I killed the Regular Attendants who had captured His Majesty and the Prince of Chenliu."

"Hmph, my commander will be the one to judge that." The horseman had ridden off.

"Are we to wait for them? While we have the Emperor in tow?" Gong asked.

"It would prevent confusing things further, as dangerous as this situation is. As much as I warned the General in Chief to not trust Dong Zhou." Bian did not know who this general was, but it seemed Zugan didn't like him.

'Why don't Uncle's supporters trust each other?' It was a question Bian believed he could ask later.

Seconds started to seem like minutes until another man clad in general's armor rode up toward them. His face seemed almost expressionless to the young emperor except for the eyes, they reminded him somewhat of a tiger. his figure was big but intimidating.

The man dismounted and bowed towards the two young men "Your Majesties."

"Who are you?" Bian hoped he could mask his fear.

"I am Dong Zhongying, General of the Vanguard. Your Uncle sent for my aid. How exactly did you end up in this situation? It is unacceptable." Zhongying seemed to glare at Zugan

Bian had steeled himself. "I do not know too much. The regular attendants said my Uncle had planned to overthrow us. They had led us out of the capital for two days, we were just rescued by Master Zugan." [7]

The General seemed to nod. "Very well, I shall accompany you back to the Capital. Their procession had started moving again toward the capital.

The young emperor could not help but notice Zugan glare at the General, but the General soon rode up to him.

"Have you heard any news of the General in Chief?" Zugan stopped glaring for once and a look of sorrow replaced it."

"We were sent out to find the Emperor and his brother. We had last heard the attendants may have killed him."

"How? He had an army with him?" Bian could hear the shock and outrage in the general's voice.

"He went into the palace with only a few guards, he was tricked by the Ten Attendants."

"That fool." Zugan reluctantly nodded as if even that seemed too much, "Why? Why would he go into the lair of those damned parasites?"

"A letter was forged and sent in the name of the Empress Dowager."

'Did my mother truly send that letter?' Bian at least knew she kept in contact with the Ten Regular Attendants.

"This is why we need strength. For too long the Emperor let those attendants rule and do whatever they wished."

"You are right about the late Emperor, but strength without forethought just leaves the land open to more cruelty."

"Do you think Uncle-, the General in Chief is still alive?" The young emperor asked of both men interrupting their conversation.

"Knowing those rats, he might be dead. I am sorry." The Zhongying's words had seemed genuine if a little rough.

Two hours had passed with relative silence until they reached the open gates of Luo Yang. The city streets were cleared of what few bodies Bian could remember from being brought out of the palace. The streets were lined with soldiers, his soldiers, or they acted like it. But if the Attendants are dead, and possibly so is his uncle, who is going to be his new protector.

At the end of streets lined by soldiers were several men wearing ornate uniforms. The young Emperor tried not to notice the palace had looked burnt as they neared the small group at the end. As they neared this other group they all bowed as the two sons of the late Emperor rode to the head of procession.

"Your Majesty. We are glad you are safe. I am Yuan Benchu, an aide to your uncle, the General in Chief." [8]

"Is he still alive?" The man seemed to slightly smile.

"He was wounded, but he barely survived." Bian thought he heard sighing from behind him from the generals who found him. [9]

"I am relieved and would like nothing more than to see him soon. However, what is to happen after all of this?"

"We are to rebuild, and hopefully bring peace back to the land." The aide's remark felt optimistic but cautiously unsure.

The Emperor could not feel such optimism for he wondered what had changed. Perhaps he could understand when he was older, but was the Son of Heaven supposed to feel so powerless? All that could wait, for now at least this crisis was over and he could sleep somewhere that wasn't a camp.

[1] Liu Bian better known as Emperor Shao, because he died at a young age. Liu Xis is his younger half-brother who succeeded him as Emperor Xian, the last Han Emperor.

[2] Zhang Rang was the head of a group known as the Ten Regular Attendants or the Ten Enuchs these were men who had considerable sway over Emperor Ling of Han. Zhang Rang historically died this way.

[3] Lu Zhi Courtesy name: Zigan. Lu Zhi was a famed scholar and general who was the teacher of people like the warlord Gongsun Zan and Liu Bei, founder of the State of Shu-Han.

[4] Empress He, was the mother of Liu Bian. She was the first concubine of Emperor Ling who gave him a healthy son.

[5] He Jin. The brother of Empress He, Who was a butcher before rapidly rising up the ranks from Administrator of Yingchuan to General-in-Chief against the Yellow Scarves/Yellow Turbans.

[6] Dong Zhou, Courtesy name, Zhongying. Famous for deposing Emperor Shao, and later having him killed after putting Liu Xie the Prince of Chen Liu on the throne as Emperor Xian.

[7] Two days prior He Jin attempted to outmaneuver and arrest the Ten Regular Attendants, but they ended up tricking and killing him.

[8] Yuan Shao, Cortesy name Benchu. A member of the prestigious Yuan family, and rival of Cao Cao for control of the Central Plains of China.

[9] Something of a 'big' part of the POD, along with Liu Bian making a better impression on Dong Zhou. Here He Jin is not quite dead, but I don't think he is going to be long for the world.

Guess who is back with, another TL about a period of time inspired by his love of Koei games, and reading a translation of a 14th-century novel? Anyway, this is going to be a limited and admittedly episodic idea, especially since I am throwing a hell of things out of the equation of the period that's going to be largely confined. Although I'm always going to doubt my ability to do the period justice. Xiaomu is meant to be what Emperor Shao's posthumous name is meant to be instead of Shao, and it means filial and solemn.
Is this an OC like the ones I usually create to wank declining/unsuccesful states to varying degrees?

Is this an OC like the ones I usually create to wank declining/unsuccesful states to varying degrees?

No, Liu Bian was an actual person, here he gets a little bit lucky. I'm not sure you can really wank the Han Dynasty any more than OTL, but this is more about preserving the Han Dynasty than anything, but even that is not an easy feat, and it might be a task that could only really be realized by Liu Bian's heirs and beyond. Basically, the Han Dynasty around this time was a mess.

No, Liu Bian was an actual person, here he gets a little bit lucky. I'm not sure you can really wank the Han Dynasty any more than OTL, but this is more about preserving the Han Dynasty than anything, but even that is not an easy feat, and it might be a task that could only really be realized by Liu Bian's heirs and beyond. Basically, the Han Dynasty around this time was a mess.
Thanks for pointing that out, I could not find anything about "Xiaomu of Han".

Thanks for pointing that out, I could not find anything about "Xiaomu of Han".

If my elaboration wasn't clear enough, Liu Bian is known to history as Emperor Shao because he never received a Posthumous name, because he died young and his legitimacy was questioned. But Xiaomu is what Liu Bian will be known as if it makes sense to you.

I hope He Jin survives a few years, since playing TW 3k I've always kind of wondered what would happen with him continuing as regent..

Also curious about his relationship with Liu Xie since they aren't blood related iirc.

I hope He Jin survives a few years, since playing TW 3k I've always kind of wondered what would happen with him continuing as regent..

Also curious about his relationship with Liu Xie since they aren't blood related iirc.
He Jin will live, but with him as regent or at least supporting Empress He as regent, the Han is still a complete mess. Throwing out the eunuchs means there has to be a new bureaucracy, a whole bunch of eunuchs' adopted families could be placed under extreme scrutiny, and this is just within the major centers of the Luo Yang in Sili Province. Liang is in a state rebellion, bandits, and yellow turban remnants are still around. Famines are a thing, and warlordism is a precedent with He Jin empowering the local leaders to raise troops.

All of this mind you exists without Dong Zhou deposing and killing Liu Bian, enthroning Liu Xie, and burning down Luo Yang. To say nothing of the fact it probably could have gotten worse if the coalition that was raised against Dong Zhou actually went through with deposing Emperor Xian

As for He Jin, and Liu Xie. The He clan is going to be in some dysfunction.

Much of the southern provinces aren’t even like Han control with various tribes controlling the area. It wasn’t until Sun Ce and Liu bei that the south begin to be really populated by Han colonist and until till the Jin dynasty where you see massive waves of Han migrations

Last edited:
Uncertain Aftermath
September 26th, 189 AD

Sili Province, Luo Yang

Liu Bian and Liu Xie heard another argument it was his mother and his uncle who had miraculously survived.

“I nearly died because of your actions and you want to criticize me for daring to take arms at the rot they represent?”

“Without the Ten Attendants we would not have been able to make it this far you would just be some butcher.” [1]

“And with the Ten Attendants, they would have butchered me, and they nearly did. It was one of them who wanted to put Liu Xie on the throne instead of my nephew, your son.” [2]

‘Do all siblings fight like this? I remember being annoyed at Xie a few times when we occasionally saw each other. Why did his grandmother hate me?’ [3]

“Brother, please don’t throw me in jail or kill me, just because I ate your doufu pudding!” [4]

Bian glared. “I knew it was you, coward, bastard.” The older boy knew he was not crazy

Xie only began to get worse and almost looked like he was about to cry, Bian had let out a sigh.

“Damn it, Xie I’m sorry. I won’t have you thrown in jail or killed.”

Bian lamented this situation why exactly did his brother have to be seen as a threat? He knew Xie’s grandmother and his mother hated each other, but what did they gain from a conflict? Did they even know things would have gotten this bad? Would it have even mattered?

‘I hate Father. I know it is not right to think, but why didn’t he give more guidance or at least place my brother if he thought I was unworthy?’

Both boys went to their respective chambers to sleep, but neither of them slept too easily.

September 27th, 189 AD

Sili Province, Luo Yang

It was just after breakfast, or at least what could pass for it, given the troubled state of the city. Liu Bian was stopped by his uncle He Jin.

“Your Majesty. I would like to discuss an important matter. Another possible threat to your position has arrived. Some would seek to use your brother and have him replace you as Emperor, I recommend that we-”

“My brother was with me when the Attendants forced us to flee the capital!” It was another outburst if Xie were here he would told him to calm down, but the events of a few days were stressful.

‘Because of your troops and your schemes.’ The Young Emperor thought but did not say, as much as he wanted to say it, while his uncle said nothing.

“I will not see him come to harm, or approve of any move against him, and if something does happen I will suspect you. I do not know why my mother’s family and Xie’s mother’s family are at odds, but me and my brother are not.”

“No, harm shall come to him, Your Majesty. His uncle's voice was calm, but his eyes were glaring at him However, threats exist to you in this very city.”

“I understand and trust they will be seen to and resolved, Is there anything else you wish to speak with me about?” Bian said hoping his uncle would drop the subject.

“How is Consort Hua?”

Bian didn’t know what to truly make of his, what was she supposed to be anyway? Father had multiple women, including his mother, but Hua felt more like a friend, at least for now. [5]

“She is fine.” It was a simple answer hopefully his uncle would leave him be.

“Hmm.” It seemed his uncle had little to say on the matter. “If there is nothing else, Your Majesty, I shall take my leave, I have sent several generals to ensure the area around the capital is secure.” The General-in-Chief bowed before leaving,

Bian did not need his uncle as an enemy, but whatever were to happen he could not let his younger brother end up dead, maybe if things were to improve this wouldn't be a problem, but what would improvement even look like? The Empire was vast and so were its troubles.

[1] So according to legends Empress He’s family had managed to bribe the Eunuchs to have her placed among a bunch of women sent to the Imperial Court, and as she gave birth to not just a son, but one who survived childhood she became an Empress.

[2] Liu Bian was deemed unfit in several ways by his father Emperor Ling, but he never really selected an heir even as he died. He Jin stepped in and enthrone Liu Bian as Emperor, but the Eunuch Jian Shuo schemed to enthrone Liu Xie instead and assassinate He Jin only to be killed himself.

[3] Liu Xie’s mother was Consort Wang, but she was poisoned by the machinations of Empress He who saw another son as a threat to her power. After Consort Wang’s death, Liu Xie lived with his grandmother Dowager Empress Dong, who preferred Liu Xie to ascend the throne.

[4] Duofu pudding was a Han dynasty snack. Duofu itself is what is commonly known by its Japanese name Tofu.

[5] Even at this early time, Liu Bian had a consort named Tang, who was only known like most women of the period by their surname. Hua is her personal name, but that is an invention of mine.

I hope this isn't too slow of pace, I'm hoping to aim for more time skips for the future.

Much of the southern princes aren’t even like Han control with various tribes controlling the area. It wasn’t until Sun Ce and Liu bei that the south begin to be really populated by Han colonist and until till the Jin dynasty where you see massive waves of Han migrations
Yes, it's a general province map, then showing actual control. If I could find a good map or at least make a decent base for it, I like to try and do exactly that, there is a population version of the above map, although I'm not sure what date it covers, but most of the accounted-for and presumably civilian population was located in the North.

Last edited:
Map of the Eastern Han Dynasty, 189
Without further ado, this abomination of a map, that I think is at times ugly, and unfortunately this site won't accept the full map at its size. I had to basically edit a population map of the 140 AD/CE Eastern Han Dynasty, and from there try and find out which commanderies still existed, and from there the large and unsuccessful slog to find out who controlled what, and it doesn't help that most maps be they online, video game or somewhere between really aren't that helpful, and chances are even if this map is accounting for that, it's not much better.

I've had to revise and revise this map so many times that I think it is immensely half-assed, especially because the major players of even just the coalition are out of the game as we know them with this POD. For example, Liu Biao, Yuan Shao, Yuan Shu, Cao Cao, were all still in the employ of the central government, with the first three not being appointed to Jing Province, Bohai Commandery, and Nanyang Commandery respectively until presumably Emperor Xian, while Cao Cao went back to his home to gather up his friends and family.

Basically the Romance of Three Kingdoms games, and Total War: Three Kingdoms which has a much more detailed map have really big limitations, especially with the smaller Commanderies and it becomes worse when some of these divisions are compressed. For example the Anping Commandery in Total War Three Kingdoms game includes both the actual Anping Commandery and Julu Commandery.

Why am I complaining about Commanderies or Jun? They were the second tier of Chinese Administration higher than the Xian or Counties lower than the Zhou or Provinces that were instituted by the Han. It was the administrators of these commanderies who gradually started to call up their own forces when the Yellow Turban Rebellion happened. And one of the biggest problems facing the Han even without the Ten Regular Attendants or the chaos caused by their assassination of He Jin, leading to well things getting worse was the fact the central government devolution of powers to Commandery administrators and later the return of provincial governors, some of whom got into feuds with each other who all had the power to raise their own forces. To make this situation even more chaotic even at the commandery level there are important families that either had to be won over or crushed, important families that could raise their own armies.

Xiaomu Han Dynasty.jpg

First things first the Dark Grey are Commanderies that are contested/unknown namely because of a either lack of knowledge of potential administrators, or that some places where either on the fringes of Han Control or in heavily chaotic areas, such as Qing Province, while the light gray are lost Commanderies from 140 AD/CE.

The Han Dynasty had extensive conflicts with the Hunas/Xiongnu in the north, originally you had the Bing and Shoufang provinces, with Shoufang having Beidi, Shang, Xihe, Wuyuan, and Shoufang itself. Extensive depopulation around the time of the end of the Han saw these commanderies practically dissolved and even Xihe which survived and was transferred to Bing had suffered a dramatic decline by 140 AD/CE. While in the Northwest the Liang Province Rebellion in 184 AD/CE basically coincided with the Yellow Turbans/Scarves, and it practically meant that Liang Province was lost for the better part of almost three decades, with Chinese power in the power in the northwest being weak and/or unstable until the Sui Dynasty (581-618) almost about a good several hundred years later. However that situation can be placed in the simple fact that after the Han Dynasty you had a succession of relatively short lived dynasties punctuated by either existing war or civil strife that transformed into another period of civil war coupled with invasions from non-Han peoples.

Second, Commanderies in red are Imperial Principalities or in some translations Kingdoms. Princes and Kings are basically written as sovereign with the same character so the difference is more up to circumstance than a clear thing. Imperial Princes as a general institution was where the Imperial family at the time would put the sons of Emperors not expected to become Emperor as Prince of some fiefdom. This fiefdom was almost always based off a former state, from the Zhou period's institution of Fengjian, which while it could be called a form of feudalism, there was more of a focus the spreading of lineage, and this was of an institution that existed right up until the Qing with a different kind of implementation on their end. Usually you had lineages that sprung from second and third sons, and then reverted back to regular administration if a line died. As far as the Han Dynasty goes, at one point Princes had their own administration and their own coins, until the Rebellion of the Seven States or Kingdoms, at this point in the princes exist as commandries that have an Imperial prince at its head and that's about it. Of these Liu Chong, the Prince of Chen is notable for his realm being of the ones not at the epicenter of the Yellow Turban Rebellion and being the only Imperial Prince to have relevance by the decline of the Han because of it.

There are nine Princes in the Han at this time. The princes of Chen, Pei, Liang, Jibei, Lu, Jinan, Qi, Zhao, and Chenliu. As a special note the Prince of Chenliu is Liu Xie, OTL Emperor Xian. Although it is important to point out Liu Dai, Liu Biao, Liu Yu, Liu Yan, are also members of the Imperial family, but not Imperial princes, so yes you did have Imperial family members that went through the same kind of government professions as the relatively average civil servant..

Lastly there are Dependent States, mainly areas with the Han that were run by local administration of native chieftains, namely in the regions that had a large amount of non-Chinese people at the time. In areas such as the Northwest, Northeast, and Southwest.

I'm going to start by going with Northern China, being Bing, Ji, and You, and Qing, Second Central China, defined by Liang, Sili, Yan, Yu, Xu. Lastly Southern China will be Yi, Jing, Yang and Jiaozhi because it fits a nice four, five four pattern.

Bing Province

Black: Shang Commandery, Black Mountain Bandits
Turquoise: Xihe Commandery, White Wave Bandits
Olive: Taiyuan Commandery, Ding Yuan

Bing Province is relatively simple, well deceptively so. Ding Yuan, noted for first having the famed warrior Lu Bu as his aide, was the Inspector of Bing Province. A Han Dynasty Inspector was essentially an official to assist an entire provinces officials, local lords, and help address any issues, but an inspector couldn't act in any official capacity on their own, by the late 180's Governors were starting to be appointed Pinning Ding Yuan to a decent administrative center was hard. So I chose Taiyuan commandery since it held the capital of the province. Mind you, Ding Yuan's land is usually given to Zhang Yan and the Black Mountain Bandits, although Bing province is often neglected in this period as a whole. Now the next two groups were hard to get an exact read since they would operate in similar areas, these being the White Wave and Black Mountain Bandits.

Bing Province was a particularly odd province by 189 AD/CE Most of Bing was already merged with the aforementioned Shoufang Province, however Xihe in particular was designated as the site of where the Southern Xiongu/Hunas could hold court. The Southern Xiongnu are the remnants of the Xiongnu that did not migrate westward after the decisive Han-Xiongnu war, but also at the same time the in the White Wave Valley a group of Yellow Turban Remnants from the Baibo Valley or White Wave Valley in Xihe took up arms and became known as the White Wave bandits with several of their leaders being Yang Feng and Han Xian. While not too far from them in the nearby Taihang Mountains another group of bandits rose up known as the Heishan or Black Mountain Bandits led by Zhang Yan, in the interest of giving them something recognizable on the map I gave them Shang Commandery, even if it's not entirely accurate.

The Han government at this time basically just accepted a nominal surrender from the Black
Mountain Bandits, and gave them some titles, while the White Wave bandits persisted at this time. The Black Mountain Bandits would eventually be absorbed into Cao Cao's forces, while the White Wave Bandits would ironically enough be drawn in to go save Emperor Xian, including some Xiongnu. Ding Yuan would end up assassinated by Lu Bu.

Ji Province

Cornflower: Zhao Commandery, Liu She

I hated this province, all I could really find out at least concretely before 190 was Gongsun Du was the Inspector of Ji, and Liu She was the Prince of Zhao.

You Province

Light Sky Blue: Dai, and Shanggu, Commanderies, Liu Yu
Firebrick Red: Youbeiping Commandery, Gongsun Zan

You Province is relatively easy, even if I think I'm cheating a bit. Liu Yu was the Inspector of You province at least. Gongsun Zan also might be cheating since he would technically be a subordinate of Liu Yu. I hate this province too, the only really notable administrator in this region would have been Gongsun Du and wasn't given the position of administrator of Liaodong until 190. Gongsun Du and Gongsun Zan are not related, they just happened to share a two character surname, which are quite uncommon.

Liu Yu would end up executed by Gongsun Zan, while Gongsun Zan himself would commit suicide after the battle of Yijing. Not shown in You Province are Lelang, Lintun and Zhenfan. These are the Four Han Dynasty Commanderies in what would become Korea, along with Xuantu. It’s this area along with Liaoxi that would be the powerbase of Gongsun Du.

Qing Province

Yellow: Jian, Le'an, and Qi Commanderies, Yellow Turban Remnants

Qing Province at this time had problems with the Yellow Turbans.

Although I will note that this is the first introduction of Yellow Scarves Remnants. The Yellow Turbans/Yellow Scarves were a Taoist led peasant revolt, and possibly one of the first in a long line of religiously oriented revolts in times of severe hardship, they were crushed in 184 AD/CE. However, even lasting into the 200's various groups of bandits and rebels claiming to be Yellow Turbans were still around and in significant numbers.

Liang Province

Magenta: Han Sui, Jincheng Commandery
Maroon: Ma Teng, Longxi Commandery
Brown: Dong Zhou, Hanyang and Anding Commanderies

So at this point in time Dong Zhou remains an important general in Liang, and while not holding all the cards for right now, is still pretty important. Han Sui and Ma Teng are rebels of the Liang Province, who were basically later given titles to appease them. Considering the absolute chaos that gripped Northern China, the Central government usually was willing to look the other way. Dong Zhou would go on to take over the Imperial Court, only to be killed by Lu Bu.

Sili Province

All of it except for Hedong and Henei is under a very charitable interpretation of the Han Central Government that being He Jin and his loyalists. With some of He Jin loyalists being a mix of prominent faces of the Three Kingdoms like Yuan Shao, and Cao Cao.

Yan Province

Orange: Taishan Commandery, Ying Shao
Yellow: Jibei Commandery, Yellow Turban Remnants,

A problem with Yan Province I'm only aware of Oiao Mao being the region's inspector and Ying Shao being the administrator of Taishan Commandery, but I'm unsure of where Yanzhou's capital was. Remember Cao Cao is currently with the Imperial Army in Luo Yang so he’s not in Chenliu, there's no coalition against Dong Zhou either so no Liu Dai. So all I can pin down is that there might have been Yellow Scarves in Jibei and Ying Shao was governor of Taishan Commandery. I don’t want to feel like I'm cheating, trying to use parts of the Total War Three Kingdoms map which places several Yellow Turbans in what would be Yan Province.

Yu Province

Dark Goldenrod: Chen Commandery, Liu Chong
Yellow: Runan, Yingchuan, and Lu Commanderies, Yellow Turban Remnants

So Yu is slightly easier to work with because, well the Prince of Chen, Liu Chong and the Yellow Turbans of Runan and Yingchuan are at least well attested to. Lu, is more taking some liberties with the Yellow Turban remnants extent. Kong Zhou is currently the province's inspector.

Liu Chong would go on to be killing by Yuan Shu, and the Yellow Turbans of Runan would last up until 201

Xu Province

Green: Xiapi, Donghai, and Guanling Commanderies, Tao Qian

Xu was perhaps the easiest province to map out for this scenario. Tao Qian was already inspector and later governor of Xu Province. He runs afoul of Cao Cao after Cao Cao’s father Cao Song is killed by Tao Qian’s men, how complicit he was varies.

Yi Province

Purple: Guanghan Commandery and its Dependant State, Liu Yan

Yi province left me very conflicted, I originally wanted to put the Southern Man, or Nan Man, down in the south, but the Southern Man might have been a mix of peoples, and generally their Southern Uprising similar to the Liang uprising all had plenty of Chinese participants involved. So for now, Liu Yan is in a position of just starting to consolidate his authority over Yi as one of the first of new Governors in contrast to the Provincial Inspectors.

Liu Yan Would end up dying and being replaced by his fourth son Liu Zhang.

Jing Province

Crimson: Changsha Commandery, Sun Jian
Aqua: Jiangxia Commandery, Huang Zu,

I hate Jing Province, perhaps even less than I hate Ji province, but I still hate it. I almost considered adding county administrators to southern Jing, but the most I could find were the ones when Liu Bei invaded in the 200's. But that consideration went right out the window anyway when I found out Liu Biao wouldn’t even be in Jing Province as Governor at this time anyway. On a lesser note Yuan Shu wouldn’t be appointed to Nanyang Commandery either.

Which left me with Sun Jian as administrator of Chang Sha, and Haung Zu, the administrator of Jangxia. Sun Jian would end up killed in a battle with Zaung Zu, all because Huang Zu by extension Liu Biao, and Sun Jian were all involved in conflicts that happened after the coalition against Dong Zhou broke up. Basically Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu start to feud with each other And so they start to find allies. and in Yuan Shao’s case he finds Cao Cao, an old friend and Liu Biao who covets Yuan Shu’s lands in Nanyang. While the Sun family were aligned with Yuan Shu.

So Sun Jian dies, and his son Sun Qian eventually avenges him with his forces killing Huang Zu.

Yang Province

Viole: Lujiang Commandery, Lu Kang
Beige: Jiujang Commandery, Bian Rang,
Orange: Wu Commandery, Sheng Xian
Light Pink: Yuzhang Commandery, Zhou Shu

Yang Province surprisingly enough has plenty of administrators to go work with. Chen Wen was its Inspector. Yang at this time was home a native population of Shanyue or Mountain Yue, one of the last groups of Yue people not completely subjugated by their northern neighbors. The term Yue described various groups of people in the South and Southeast of what would be China.

As far as governors go it is who's who of Administrators who most of them would meet some relatively unfortunate ends due to Yang Province becoming a battleground between Yuan Shu and his then subordinate Sun Ce, son of the late Sun Jian, and Cao Cao, and later everyone else against Yuan Shu. What this meant was most of these administrators were killed and/or replaced Especially once Sun Ce started his conquests of Yang.

Namely because as a side effect of the collapse of central authority the various warlords either pointed themselves to certain administrative posts or they appointed subordinates and family members, you noticeable saw this in Yang Province with Cao Cao and Yuan Shu, and later Cao Wei and Sun Wu, and between Yuan Shao and Cao Cao.

Jiaozhi Province

Dark Orange: Jiaozhi Commandery, Shi Xie

Jiaozhi is the southernmost province of Han dynasty China, that comprises the Nanyue or Southern Yue, which comprised modern Guangdong, Guangxi and most of Northern Vietnam

Jiaozhi’s current situation is one of potentially simmering discontent, its current Governor is Zhu Fu.

Shi Xie was an administrator of Jiaozhi who was later appointed by the Han governor to counteract Liu Biao’ schemes to gain more influence in the region, given its remoteness to the capital.

Once again, I hope this map wasn’t too bad, and I’m kind of sorry I have made an update that’s nearly as long as the last two story updates put together and it’s basically one massive attempt at a crash course for the era.

Nice map.
I wish it felt that way, this map was an exercise in suffering when it came to making it. It was a 140 AD/CE population map, with it's own colors, but it was one of best developed maps for a map of the Han Dynasty, period. Daresay, if I were brave enough this could probably be a good source material for maps of China up in until the Sui dynasty.

I wish it felt that way, this map was an exercise in suffering when it came to making it. It was a 140 AD/CE population map, with it's own colors, but it was one of best developed maps for a map of the Han Dynasty, period. Daresay, if I were brave enough this could probably be a good source material for maps of China up in until the Sui dynasty.
From one mapmaker to another: I respect those struggles.
My biggest complaint would be that the Chinese characters are too hard to see. Beyond that nothing obvious comes to mind.