Trying to Please Everyone: Or Converting multiple Pop Culture Utopias into a Timeline.

How is Mortal Kombat still doing here? Do they keep the 90's feel that made it fun again in MK9 or trying to modernize again?

Mortal Kombat 1 is largely same as OTL but with Jean Claude Van Damme as Johnny Cage.
Mortal Kombat 2 has Sonya(played by Kathy Long) return but not Kano, who is replaced by a playable Kintaro, who is a Stop Motion Tiger Man. This removes Mileena and Reptile from the game.
Mortal Kombat 3 has a dispute over royalties settled, as a result many of the original actors from the first two games reprise their roles. Due to the changes above, Mileena and Reptile debut in this game, replacing Sektor and Sheeva.
Mortal Kombat: Mythologies Sub Zero does not exist ITTL.
Mortal Kombat 4 has a few different characters, Kano replaces Jarek(Jarek's OTL ending is Jaxs ending instead, while Sonya's is similar but she survives), Bo Rai Cho replaces Kai(and lacks the fart and vomit jokes ITTL, but is instead a drunken master type), Mileena instead of Meat, Shao Kahn, and Jade. This game is Quan Chi's debut due to MK Mythologies and the Mortal Kombat Cartoon not existing. As a result it is this game that reveals Quan Chi's role in framing Sub Zero for the murder of Scorpion's family and clan, which Scorpion finds out after defeating Sub Zero and then goes to confront Quan Chi in the final battle.

While the Mortal Kombat series is doing a bit better than OTL, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance includes Liu Kang, Shao Khan, Goro, Kabal and Motaro, who replace Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Mokap, and Mavado. Several in cutscene only events are shown, including the death of Liu Kang and Shao Khan in the game's story mode.

For Mortal Kombat: Deception no Console exclusive characters exist. As a result Shao Khan, Goro, Blaze, Frost, Jax and Kitana are playable, replacing Ashrah,Dairou, Darrius, Hotaru, Kira and Kobra.

Mortal Kombat: Warriors of the Realms was a Beat em up style game going through the first trilogy. Several characters were playable and not just Liu Kang and Kung Lao.

Mortal Kombat Armaggedon was released with every playable character in the franchise, including Chameleon(male and female).

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter, replacing Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. This game is animated with traditional looking sprites and does include fatalities, though by the Mortal Kombat characters, albeit somewhat censored(the screen cuts to silhouettes of the characters as fatalities are performed). This game saved Midway from bankruptcy.

Mortal Kombat: Resurrection is a Kontinuation of the series after Armaggeddon rather than a reboot, showing the survivors of the final battle as they wage a final war to destroy their enemies. Character chapters are instead split and allow the player to choose who to play as. If there are multiple opponents, the character the player did not choose will then be played as in that fight as well. The roster on Playstation 3 includes Kratos and Sweet Tooth while the Xbox 360 includes Master Chief and Marcus Phoenix. The DLC pack included all four of these characters made playable to everyone at the price of only two characters(since most people who owned one of the consoles would already have two of them). Freddy Krueger therefore does not appear, and the game's plot means neither does Cyber Sub Zero.

Mortal Kombat X follows a new generation of Fighters, years after the conclusion of the last game. Kiefer Sutherland voices Erron Black. New characters include Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Erron Black, Jacqui Briggs, Kotal Khan, Kun Jin and Takeda with Kotal Khan as the antagonist. The plot of the game is therefore more streamlined without incorporating the Shinnok plot. Kombat Pack 1 is all the guest stars in Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, The Xenomorph and the Predator. Kombat Pack 2 is Tanya, Tremor, Bo Rai Cho and Triborg.

Mortal Kombat II has Kronika as an antagonist but lacks the time travel plot, but is able to create clones of warriors from certain points in their lives. D'Vorah, having been killed in the previous game, does not return, and there are no new characters. The three new characters of Centrion, Geras and Collector are replaced by Sindel, Nightwolf and Shang Tsung. Sindel's portrayal is much more positive and in line with Sheeva or Kotal Khan's portrayal as they are the restored kind Queen of Edenia along with her daughter Kitana and husband Jareth(possessing the body of Ermac as Jareth was one of the souls used to create him). The 3 Kombat Packs are all guest characters and themed. There is the Comic Pack(Joker and Spawn with the ITTL only inclusion of Deadpool), Action Pack which includes Rambo, Robocop and the Terminator(voiced by Arnold Shwarzenagger ITTL), The Horror Pack(Which brings back Freddy, Jason and throws in Ash Williams from Evil Dead). A unnamed Fourth Pack added three extra characters representing each pack, two of which were returnees in Hellboy, the Predator and Pennywise, the Dancing Clown.

Mortal Kombat 1 is largely same as OTL but with Jean Claude Van Damme as Johnny Cage.
Mortal Kombat 2 has Sonya(played by Kathy Long) return but not Kano, who is replaced by a playable Kintaro, who is a Stop Motion Tiger Man. This removes Mileena and Reptile from the game.
Mortal Kombat 3 has a dispute over royalties settled, as a result many of the original actors from the first two games reprise their roles. Due to the changes above, Mileena and Reptile debut in this game, replacing Sektor and Sheeva.
Mortal Kombat: Mythologies Sub Zero does not exist ITTL.
Mortal Kombat 4 has a few different characters, Kano replaces Jarek(Jarek's OTL ending is Jaxs ending instead, while Sonya's is similar but she survives), Bo Rai Cho replaces Kai(and lacks the fart and vomit jokes ITTL, but is instead a drunken master type), Mileena instead of Meat, Shao Kahn, and Jade. This game is Quan Chi's debut due to MK Mythologies and the Mortal Kombat Cartoon not existing. As a result it is this game that reveals Quan Chi's role in framing Sub Zero for the murder of Scorpion's family and clan, which Scorpion finds out after defeating Sub Zero and then goes to confront Quan Chi in the final battle.

While the Mortal Kombat series is doing a bit better than OTL, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance includes Liu Kang, Shao Khan, Goro, Kabal and Motaro, who replace Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Mokap, and Mavado. Several in cutscene only events are shown, including the death of Liu Kang and Shao Khan in the game's story mode.

For Mortal Kombat: Deception no Console exclusive characters exist. As a result Shao Khan, Goro, Blaze, Frost, Jax and Kitana are playable, replacing Ashrah,Dairou, Darrius, Hotaru, Kira and Kobra.

Mortal Kombat: Warriors of the Realms was a Beat em up style game going through the first trilogy. Several characters were playable and not just Liu Kang and Kung Lao.

Mortal Kombat Armaggedon was released with every playable character in the franchise, including Chameleon(male and female).

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter, replacing Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. This game is animated with traditional looking sprites and does include fatalities, though by the Mortal Kombat characters, albeit somewhat censored(the screen cuts to silhouettes of the characters as fatalities are performed). This game saved Midway from bankruptcy.

Mortal Kombat: Resurrection is a Kontinuation of the series after Armaggeddon rather than a reboot, showing the survivors of the final battle as they wage a final war to destroy their enemies. Character chapters are instead split and allow the player to choose who to play as. If there are multiple opponents, the character the player did not choose will then be played as in that fight as well. The roster on Playstation 3 includes Kratos and Sweet Tooth while the Xbox 360 includes Master Chief and Marcus Phoenix. The DLC pack included all four of these characters made playable to everyone at the price of only two characters(since most people who owned one of the consoles would already have two of them). Freddy Krueger therefore does not appear, and the game's plot means neither does Cyber Sub Zero.

Mortal Kombat X follows a new generation of Fighters, years after the conclusion of the last game. Kiefer Sutherland voices Erron Black. New characters include Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Erron Black, Jacqui Briggs, Kotal Khan, Kun Jin and Takeda with Kotal Khan as the antagonist. The plot of the game is therefore more streamlined without incorporating the Shinnok plot. Kombat Pack 1 is all the guest stars in Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, The Xenomorph and the Predator. Kombat Pack 2 is Tanya, Tremor, Bo Rai Cho and Triborg.

Mortal Kombat II has Kronika as an antagonist but lacks the time travel plot, but is able to create clones of warriors from certain points in their lives. D'Vorah, having been killed in the previous game, does not return, and there are no new characters. The three new characters of Centrion, Geras and Collector are replaced by Sindel, Nightwolf and Shang Tsung. Sindel's portrayal is much more positive and in line with Sheeva or Kotal Khan's portrayal as they are the restored kind Queen of Edenia along with her daughter Kitana and husband Jareth(possessing the body of Ermac as Jareth was one of the souls used to create him). The 3 Kombat Packs are all guest characters and themed. There is the Comic Pack(Joker and Spawn with the ITTL only inclusion of Deadpool), Action Pack which includes Rambo, Robocop and the Terminator(voiced by Arnold Shwarzenagger ITTL), The Horror Pack(Which brings back Freddy, Jason and throws in Ash Williams from Evil Dead). A unnamed Fourth Pack added three extra characters representing each pack, two of which were returnees in Hellboy, the Predator and Pennywise, the Dancing Clown.
Much better. Does MK have skimpy girls still after MK9, to honor the old 90's era? I wonder how much they could get away with skin wise....

Much better. Does MK have skimpy girls still after MK9, to honor the old 90's era? I wonder how much they could get away with skin wise....
It’s still fairly skimpy in the new area though this is provided it makes sense for the character. Scarlet wears a skimpy costume because her powers revolve around blood while Kitana does not as in universe with Shao Khan’s defeat. They are now a Princess and wear a kimono like outfit that is still suitable for combat.

It’s still fairly skimpy in the new area though this is provided it makes sense for the character. Scarlet wears a skimpy costume because her powers revolve around blood while Kitana does not as in universe with Shao Khan’s defeat. They are now a Princess and wear a kimono like outfit that is still suitable for combat.
I think that's a fair compromise. Kitana in a kimono would be nice, actually. Better than her canon MK11 outfit. I assume no politicized comments about female attire, and they just go with "it looks like what we want"?

I think that's a fair compromise. Kitana in a kimono would be nice, actually. Better than her canon MK11 outfit. I assume no politicized comments about female attire, and they just go with "it looks like what we want"?
True. And no Shao Khan Trump comments.

Hmmm...bit of a minor one, but could we have Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter get together ITTL?

Probably a bit of a stretch, but maybe they and Tim Burton enter a polyamorous triad?

TBH, I wanna see what sort of movies come out of that dynamic. Perhaps Burton, inspired by his newfound (and appropriately unusual by mainstream standards) relationship, does a biopic on William Moulton Marston?

Last edited:
Hmmm...bit of a minor one, but could we have Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter get together ITTL?

Probably a bit of a stretch, but maybe they and Tim Burton enter a polyamorous triad?

TBH, I wanna see what sort of movies come out of that dynamic. Perhaps Burton, inspired by his newfound (and appropriately unusual by mainstream standards) relationship, does a biopic on William Moulton Marston?
I suppose that relationship could work. I already had Depp not get with Amber Heard. Not sure about the polyamory though. I don’t think Burton really fits making a Marston biography.

I suppose that relationship could work. I already had Depp not get with Amber Heard. Not sure about the polyamory though. I don’t think Burton really fits making a Marston biography.
Hmmmm...mmkay.

Does Alan Moore have a better relationship with the film adaptations of his work ITTL?

On that note. can we extend his Supreme run at least a bit longer (perhaps using a version of this fan-made 64th issue to conclude the "Daxia Invades the Supremacy plotline" begun in issue #58/Supreme: The Return #2, and from there having Alan Moore's third year on Supreme extend from issues 65-76, then conclude with the Alex Ross-illustrated + conceputalized Supreme: World War Infinity, finally concluding Alan Moore's run at 48 issues (ending at #89)?

But who could concievably succeed Moore on Supreme - I considered Jhonen Vasquez, buuut I dunno if he'd be a right fit considering Moore explicitly reinvented Supreme as a Silver Age Superman homage and Vasquez's trademark blackly cynical humor.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...mmkay.

Does Alan Moore have a better relationship with the film adaptations of his work ITTL?
That should be obvious from the Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen posts.
On that note. can we extend his Supreme run at least a bit longer (perhaps using a version of this fan-made 64th issue to conclude the "Daxia Invades the Supremacy plotline" begun in issue #58/Supreme: The Return #2, and from there having Alan Moore's third year on Supreme extend from issues 65-76, then conclude with the Alex Ross-illustrated + conceputalized Supreme: World War Infinity, finally concluding Alan Moore's run at 48 issues (ending at #89)?

But who could concievably succeed Moore on Supreme - I considered Jhonen Vasquez, buuut I dunno if he'd be a right fit considering Moore explicitly reinvented Supreme as a Silver Age Superman homage and Vasquez's trademark blackly cynical humor.
I’m not sure if I’d address this in an Image Post or an Alan Moore post.

I’m not sure if I’d address this in an Image Post or an Alan Moore post.
Probably an Image post, since because of Rob Liefeld's early death Awesome Comics isn't formed (Alan Moore's Supreme run began publication in early August 1996 - issue 41, Moore's first, has a cover date of August 1, so assuming Liefeld dies on the same day as Gruenwald did IOTL, said run still occurs due to comic lead time).

Ooh, possible idea: Neil Gaiman and Jhonen collab on the writing duties, with Chris Sprouse doing the "modern day" art and Rick Veitch doing the flashback scenes as they did for Moore's run. The Vasquez-Gaiman run takes a more existentalist, absurdist approach in its themes: picking up as a direct sequel to Moore's run and focusing on the newest "revision" of Supreme's universe, this "Nu-Supreme" is more akin to a Bronze Age-style Superman, having all the OP godlike power of a Silver Age style hero, but a (somewhat) more cynical, yet still idealistic outlook on the world; he knows life is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but he's still a hero because of it: after all, if life has no meaning, then doesn't that make it all the more special? Perhaps the run begins in 2012 (as Erik Larsen's ill-fated run on Supreme did) and lasts 42 issues, ending in 2015.

Heck, perhaps to shake things up, Gaiman incorporates Mel and Coraline Jones into Supreme's cast, making the latter Ethan Crane/Supreme's stepdaughter, inspired by his relationship with Amanda Palmer...and giving the explanation that, after the incident with the Beldam, Mel and her husband Charlie had a falling out (because, let's be honest, they didn't seem exactly in a happy marriage).

I figure Jhonen would have this to say on the surprising optimism of his and Neil's run on Supreme: "Johnny was about the things that pissed me off. Squee was about the things that scared me as a kid. Supreme is, believe it or not, about the things that give me hope and happiness. I'm not that big of a misanthropic ass, ya know." It's inspired by Kurt Busiek's Astro City in that while it does deconstruct (and reconstruct) the superhero, it doesn't do so in a dark and edgy way - instead it shows that superheroes are still people who are flawed but still do what they do for the sake of doing good.

Last edited: