Bush the Mega-North: Who's Iran-Contra's Ford?

I want this thread to be primarily to be about the VP replacement in a worse (and earlier, since that gives the Dems midterm incentives) Iran-Contra scandal. Ok, so. Reagan knew about Iran-Contra. But so did Bush. Assuming a worse scandal (I recall someone saying some nuns killed by the Contras on live television would do the trick. Let's make them American Nuns or something.), I could see Reagan throwing Bush down first. This probably won't hold the scandal off forever, but that's irrelevant to the thread (personally, I think Reagan would go down still, but this might not be so evident at the time).
Like Carl Albert, Tip O'Neill didn't want to be President. So who would an increasingly weakened Reagan choose to be the Gerald Ford? I'd imagine the likes of Paul Laxalt would be too conservative and too close to Reagan for a Democratic Congress to approve. So this would probably be an outsider largely unconnected with the Reagan Administration, or someone popular on both sides of the aisle in Congress. I'm thinking Robert Michel would be the man here, but Reagan could choose a State Governor and get away with it. Choosing Ford himself would be very interesting, but I doubt Reagan would do that, it would send the message that he's going down when he doesn't want that impression at all.

My 2 cents, YMMV, Dole (senator) Or Kemp (House) might work... both are from Congress, so might get thru. Lamar Alexander (TN gov) as an outside shot? I figure semi conservative, will need executive leadership (like a governor) or Congress (already known to Dem leadership so easier nomination) experience. Reagan put Sandra Day O'Conner on the Supreme Court (promised first female), any prominent females/minorities to put as veep? I figure 60% a Congress pick, 35% state level, and 5% a wild-a** pick.

Howard Baker. IOTL, Reagan made him White House chief of staff during Iran-Contra to shore up public confidence.

As a former constituent of Bob Michel's, I find the idea of him as VP to be repulsive. However, who replaces him as GOP leader in the House? In 1987, Gingrich is just a very junior and extremely annoying representative from Georgia.